Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If he stays, I'll settle for another shit season like the last one where he equalled his most productive season ever for us with a combined 27 goals and assists in all comps.

Lucas Moura spent all season playing up front and he only managed 16 combined. Deli Alli managed 12 combined. Sissoko who spent half a season playing as an 8 and all the previous two seasons playing as an 8 or AM, has a combined 11 in three years, their threads must be carnage.
To be fair to Lucas he played 700 fewer minutes than Eriksen. But I agree with your overall point. I think Dele is a fairer comparison

Agree with first two points but why in point 3 is he 'more likely' to return to form ??. If he hasn't signed a new contract and is leaving on a free then yes he may well 'turn it on' next season for prospective suitors but there is a danger that he is given a new three year contract and a nice pay rise and has another (as you so eloquently put it) 'modestly off season' or even a 'complete mare'. He has another two years ahead and we have egg on our face. I'm not for one minute saying that will be the case but I would not assume a return to form just because he's staying.

Because all else being equal, players tend to return to their long term average. Eriksen’s never been one to not put in a shift after he gets a contract (a move I affectionately refer to as an Adebayor). If anything, he has tended to play better once contract stuff has been put behind him.

Because all else being equal, players tend to return to their long term average. Eriksen’s never been one to not put in a shift after he gets a contract (a move I affectionately refer to as an Adebayor). If anything, he has tended to play better once contract stuff has been put behind him.
Love the 'Adebayor' analogy. :thumbup:

If he stays, I'll settle for another shit season like the last one where he equalled his most productive season ever for us with a combined 27 goals and assists in all comps.

Lucas Moura spent all season playing up front and he only managed 16 combined. Deli Alli managed 12 combined. Sissoko who spent half a season playing as an 8 and all the previous two seasons playing as an 8 or AM, has a combined 11 in three years, their threads must be carnage.

Well done in comparing a player that played 3775 minutes (PL+CL combined) with Moura (2853), Dele (2544) and Sissoko (not a fucking AM). Who's next, Hugo?

It seems to me like there's some straw-man arguments being made by what, for the sake of brevity, I'll call the anti-Eriksen crowd.

The first is that those who think Eriksen is a very good player (one of the best on the team) and difficult to replace also think he is THE best player on the team or one of the best players in the world. Maybe some people think that. I know I don't think that.

The second is that those who think Eriksen is a very good player are all saying "the stats, the stats!" to defend Eriksen's performance last season. Maybe some people are doing that. I know I'm not. The stats from Whoscored suggest that Eriksen's performance in the Premier League (a 7.08 average) was down significantly from the year before (7.4), the year before that (7.53), and the year before that (7.45). But a 7.08 is still quite good. So the stats might suggest that Eriksen went from very good/verging on excellent to just good/very good last season. An off-season, but still a very effective player. Christian Eriksen - History

When I pointed out that Eriksen had 6 strong seasons at Spurs and couldn't believe the slagging he was taking, I was then told that it's only last season that was being slagged. This part is especially incredible to me. The anti-Eriksen squad is now suggesting Eriksen is not that good and is fairly easily replaced because he had one modestly off season? If he was 32, I'd get it. You could argue he's in decline and this is just the beginning. Or if he'd picked up a chronic injury last season that will limit his production forever. Or if we'd gotten a new player that had forced Eriksen into a position he's uncomfortable with, and Eriksen would have to keep playing in that position, then I think you'd have a reasonable argument for just using Eriksen's most recent numbers. But none of that is true. Eriksen is 27. He's in his prime. He's healthy. The way we play, and the way we use him has been largely consistent during Poch's regime and will remain so in the future. He's far more likely to return to his historical average than not. To ignore 5 years worth of performances in favor of the single most recent year is absurd.

I don't know how ANYBODY could think Eriksen will be easy to replace if he leaves. It should be obvious (but somehow isn't) that he's one of our best players, AND that we don't have anybody else who can do what he does as effectively as he does it. It honestly seems like the anti-Eriksen crowd is trolling, but somehow I think they really believe what they're saying.

So here's where we stand with Eriksen:

1) He's a very good player, one of the top players on the team, and has a unique skill set that will be very difficult to replace. But he's not the best on the team and not one of the best in the world.

2) He had a modestly off season last year, but was still good.

3) He's more likely to return to his long-term very good/verging on excellent performance level than repeat last season's performance level.
Oh cry me a river he’s been fucking shit and popping up in the 79th minute with an assist 12 times in 60 games doesn’t fucking change anything

Well done in comparing a player that played 3775 minutes (PL+CL combined) with Moura (2853), Dele (2544) and Sissoko (not a fucking AM). Who's next, Hugo?

I was going to say something similar but it’s too hot 🥵

No problem, these are the minutes per goal/assist

Moura 178

Alli 212

Eriksen 145

Eriksen was not a fucking AM for at least 21 of his games last season where he played LM8/RM8/CM- in those games he still notched up 12 goals and assists.

Sissoko only played 7 games as a DM this season, 28 as a CM/RM8 notching up 4 assists. In 17/18 he played 4 games as a DM, 30 games as a CM/RM8/LM8 and 6 as an AM and managed 3 goal/assists in all of those games. In 16/17 he played no games as a DM, 28 games as an CM/RM and 2 as an AM and notched up the princely sum of 4 assists.

So lets just compare the games where Eriksen and Sissoko have played CM/RM/LM - in one season of 21 games as a CM/RM/LM Eriksen totalled 12 from those positions. In three seasons 84 games as a CM/LM/RM and 10 as an AM - Sissoko managed a combined 11 (and only one of them was a League or CL goal).

And just to convert those appearances into minutes for fairer parity, Sissoko has played 5841 PL and CL minutes, with all but a handful of them in CM/RM (or even AM) positions.

And please don't come back at me with bollocks about Sissoko sacrificing some offensive contribution for defensive duties, because he tackles and intercepts the same rate as Eriksen does, he presses less and his pressing yields less turnovers. He's played a grand total of 11 games as a DM in those three years and his remit (bought as an AM/8 - very much not as a DM) was always to transition the ball forwards as well as routine CM stuff without the ball that any CM's are supposed to do.

Eriksen and Sissoko are massively different players but as CM/RM/LM neither are great defensively and they are both expected to contribute offensively. One has, one hasn't.

Might have won the league or CL if he played better though eh, ever thought of that

No player from the top three teams who spent significant time in midfield, or saw as much ball in games as Eriksen, or covered as much ground as Eriksen managed to get near what he produced.

I’d be looking round the rest of the team and asking that question first if I were you.

There are midfielders in the bottom half of the table that produced more than Sissoko (and I don’t just mean creatively, I mean defensively and just basic stuff too). Moura didn’t create a single goal for anyone in the league, all season. Everyone’s favourite chippy left back produces the square route of fuck all most weeks. Trippier had a meh season by his standards. And don’t get me started on bumblers like Alli, Son and Lamela. That’s before we get to St Poch and his tactical tombola.

Last edited:
No player from the top three teams who spent significant time in midfield, or saw as much ball in games as Eriksen, or covered as much ground as Eriksen managed to get near what he produced.

I’d be looking round the rest of the team and asking that question first if I were you.

There are midfielders in the bottom half of the table that produced more than Sissoko (and I don’t just mean creatively, I mean defensively too). Moura didn’t create a single goal for anyone in the league, all season. Everyone’s favourite chippy left back produces the square route of fuck all most weeks. Trippier had a meh season by his standards. And don’t get me started on bumblers like Alli, Son and Lamela. That’s before we get to St Poch and his tactical tombola.
World class players don’t make a difference after all “

:adestare:

Back
Top Bottom