Christian Eriksen, it wasn’t supposed to end like this

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

“No formal bids”
“May have been a bid of £40m”
“Levy wanted £80m”

Speculative figures and links to tabloids basically.

If Madrid, Barcelona or PSG want players they go and get them. Ronaldo, Bale, Neymar, Mbappe etc.

The fact that Eriksen is still at Spurs with 6 months left on his contract speaks volumes.
They buy galacticos from big English clubs for large fees, but Eriksen was never a galactico. At his best, he would've been a solid starter or excellent squad player for those clubs. At a time when they were loaded in midfield, they would've paid 50 million pounds for him, but nothing close to what Levy wanted. They can get players to fill those roles from smaller Spanish clubs for half the price.

They buy galacticos from big English clubs for large fees, but Eriksen was never a galactico. At his best, he would've been a solid starter or excellent squad player for those clubs. At a time when they were loaded in midfield, they would've paid 50 million pounds for him, but nothing close to what Levy wanted. They can get players to fill those roles from smaller Spanish clubs for half the price.

According to some on here he’s world class and could’ve walked into any team. You would think the top clubs would be fighting over him.

Eriksen is a good player, a good player

he could have been so much better though. He lacks determination, pussies out of tackles and unfortunately thinks he’s better than he is, which is why he’s lingering waiting for an ‘elite team’ to come in for him. He’ll end up at Inter or someone similar and wish he’d renewed with us.

i for one won’t miss his corners, but good luck to him

Eriksen is a good player, a good player

he could have been so much better though. He lacks determination, pussies out of tackles and unfortunately thinks he’s better than he is, which is why he’s lingering waiting for an ‘elite team’ to come in for him. He’ll end up at Inter or someone similar and wish he’d renewed with us.

i for one won’t miss his corners, but good luck to him
Agree with all except the last five words
:wanyama:

According to some on here he’s world class and could’ve walked into any team. You would think the top clubs would be fighting over him.
Maybe some think that, but it's not the consensus view, and it's irrelevant either way.

Levy took a calculated risk by keeping Eriksen when he wanted out. Eriksen likely overvalued himself, and I don't really blame Levy for trying to keep him, but it's pretty daft to argue that if Levy had actively shopped Eriksen to the top European clubs, that he couldn't have found a buyer for 35-40million pounds last summer. Maybe he wouldn't have, but there's no indication that he even tried. And it might be a low sum, but it's much better than one season of shite play and losing him for free.

I think Eriksen and Levy both overplayed their hands to the club's detriment.

By the logic of eriksen not being a big game player because of Tottenham's performance in the CL final, it also means Kane isn't a big game player.

What poppycock

100% Kane shouldn’t have been on the pitch. But that was down to the manager.

Eriksen wanted Madrid or Barca. End of the day he wasn’t that good. Just a fact.

Maybe some think that, but it's not the consensus view, and it's irrelevant either way.

Levy took a calculated risk by keeping Eriksen when he wanted out. Eriksen likely overvalued himself, and I don't really blame Levy for trying to keep him, but it's pretty daft to argue that if Levy had actively shopped Eriksen to the top European clubs, that he couldn't have found a buyer for 35-40million pounds last summer. Maybe he wouldn't have, but there's no indication that he even tried. And it might be a low sum, but it's much better than one season of shite play and losing him for free.

I think Eriksen and Levy both overplayed their hands to the club's detriment.

I think if we'd received a bid of 50m from a club that interested CE he'd have been gone.

In fact, I'm still yet to see any reports that categorically state that ANY bids were made.

I think if we'd received a bid of 50m from a club that interested CE he'd have been gone.

In fact, I'm still yet to see any reports that categorically state that ANY bids were made.

Madrid wanted him but they refused to bid because of Levy’s asking price, just like they did when they wanted Modric and Bale. Oh...

Do you mean 2019 or 2018? In 2018, I think Levy would've rightfully viewed 50m as low at that point, as he was playing better and still had two years on his contract. In 2019, I don't think any club would've bid that much with a year left on his contract.

And I can certainly believe no bids were made. They typically aren't made unless a club is very serious about a player, and think the potential selling club is willing to negotiate. I don't think any big clubs were willing to launch huge bids, and Levy certainly wasn't going to accept a low bid, so if there was any interest, I doubt it got as far as a bid.

Do you mean 2019 or 2018? In 2018,

This past summer.

We'd have been robbing ourselves at 50m the year before.

I think Levy would've rightfully viewed 50m as low at that point, as he was playing better and still had two years on his contract. In 2019, I don't think any club would've bid that much with a year left on his contract.

And I can certainly believe no bids were made. They typically aren't made unless a club is very serious about a player, and think the potential selling club is willing to negotiate. I don't think any big clubs were willing to launch huge bids, and Levy certainly wasn't going to accept a low bid, so if there was any interest, I doubt it got as far as a bid.

Indeed.

Since his Premier League debut on 14 September 2013, Eriksen has assisted the most goals (62), created the most chances (570) and scored the most goals from outside the box (23) & from direct free-kicks (8) in the competition.

Since his Premier League debut on 14 September 2013, Eriksen has assisted the most goals (62), created the most chances (570) and scored the most goals from outside the box (23) & from direct free-kicks (8) in the competition.

Stats give an indication but that is all. So many variables involved with stats as I have discussed before. Undoubtedly a good player in a very good team. In an average/struggling team not so much. He has been declining in my opinion and that is very hard to reverse

Back
Top Bottom