Christian Eriksen, it wasn’t supposed to end like this

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So you're saying we should have cashed in on him in 2016? You'd have been happy with that and wouldnt have vilified the chairman for it?

I call bollocks.

As for the numbers you're quoting you and/or the media are just speculating.

When did I say I wanted him to be sold? I never said that. I've never wanted him to be sold, even this last summer. I wouldn't mind now because I'd rather get something for him than lose him for nothing. As for the speculation, that is almost all we ever have, is it not? We don't even know if media reports of actual bids are true, unless the player actually signs. It's rare a club makes an official announcement of a bid when that bid has been refused. Believe what you want, but reports of interest in Eriksen for 5+ straight transfer windows (by Real Madrid alone) makes me believe that there was plenty of serious interest.

I'm unaware of any formal offer, but the world knows how Daniel Levy works (Real Madrid as much as anyone), and there were claims in the media as early as 2016 that Real were interested, but put off by the price tag on numerous occasions (at one time, rumored at over £200m). Real were still linked with him last summer, and may have put in an offer of £40m for him, with Levy countering with £80m. It was expected by several media outlets that Real Madrid would offer £60m, and Levy would let him go at that price, but it seems Real never made that final offer.

Barcelona were also rumored as interested in 2017-18, but Spurs were unwilling to sell. I've linked a couple of sources below, but these are by no means the only ones.

“No formal bids”
“May have been a bid of £40m”
“Levy wanted £80m”

Speculative figures and links to tabloids basically.

If Madrid, Barcelona or PSG want players they go and get them. Ronaldo, Bale, Neymar, Mbappe etc.

The fact that Eriksen is still at Spurs with 6 months left on his contract speaks volumes.

Nobody wants him speaking of football, but for free probably someone will come as they can sell some shirts as he's good in FIFA two thousend and something.

Hopefully he signs for a team that is a success at failure and he can always remember the summer night in Madrid 2019 that a truly great world class midfielder was needed to win a CL final.

If he had of performed and won us the game that night the offers would have flooded in.

But he fucked his big audition. And any chance he had of a big move for big money.

Not a big game player. End of.

You usually get what you deserve in sport. That night is where his dream move Ended. He’s just a squad player now for the big boys.

Not a big game player.

What is a big game player? Bit of a fallacy if you ask me. Titles and trophies are a collaborative effort overall.

Games can be won by moments of individual brilliance. But they nearly always will have a large pinch of luck involved.

Mouras last goal in Amsterdam squirmed its way through the only space it could have gone without taking a deflection from two players.

Agree that he is a complete wet blanket though. Doesn't really have that commanding personality and has fannyed out of challenges since day one.

Ran a lot and reads the game better than anyone in the team bar Kane maybe. My overriding memory will the noticeable drop in our creativity when he wasnt on the pitch.

When did I say I wanted him to be sold? I never said that. I've never wanted him to be sold, even this last summer. I wouldn't mind now because I'd rather get something for him than lose him for nothing. As for the speculation, that is almost all we ever have, is it not? We don't even know if media reports of actual bids are true, unless the player actually signs. It's rare a club makes an official announcement of a bid when that bid has been refused. Believe what you want, but reports of interest in Eriksen for 5+ straight transfer windows (by Real Madrid alone) makes me believe that there was plenty of serious interest.

You obviously put stock in such speculation otherwise you wouldn't have presented it all as fact to begin with.

As for what you wanted; if it would have been against your wishes then you are really in no position to moan about it in hindsight.

What is a big game player? Bit of a fallacy if you ask me. Titles and trophies are a collaborative effort overall.

Games can be won by moments of individual brilliance. But they nearly always will have a large pinch of luck involved.

Mouras last goal in Amsterdam squirmed its way through the only space it could have gone without taking a deflection from two players.

Agree that he is a complete wet blanket though. Doesn't really have that commanding personality and has fannyed out of challenges since day one.

Ran a lot and reads the game better than anyone in the team bar Kane maybe. My overriding memory will the noticeable drop in our creativity when he wasnt on the pitch.

Someone able to take a game by the scruff of the neck and make their ability count when it's crunch time.

Compare to Hazard in the EL final the week before.... Or vs us when he came off the bench in the LC final.....

Also see Bale's CL final heroics.

Last edited:

Cant really add to what Airfixx Airfixx said to explain it any further.

But my take
That CL final was set up for a Spurs player to really run the game.

Just go through list of CL finals and some players step up.
And at any level of the game I guess this sits true as well.

For all he has done it is time to just let him rot on the sideline. I just don't see the point of letting him get anywhere near the bench since his head hasn't been here for awhile now.

I would much rather see Lo Celso command Christians place in the side.

There were many reports of Spurs putting the transfer fee too high from Real.
If you are interested just go google it?

Rumours of our asking price is a different question.

How much did RM actually bid? That's the root of the question I asked.....

Apparently clubs have been offering big money for years.... Yet any evidence is pending.

Someone able to take a game by the scruff of the neck and make their ability count when it's crunch time.

Compare to Hazard in the EL final the week before.... Or vs us when he came off the bench in the LC final.....

Also see Bale's CL final heroics.
Cant really add to what Airfixx Airfixx said to explain it any further.

But my take
That CL final was set up for a Spurs player to really run the game.

Just go through list of CL finals and some players step up.
And at any level of the game I guess this sits true as well.

In a players career how many minutes are in "big games". Equally - what defines taking a game by the neck. Coming off the bench to score an overhead kick. Or unasumed, consistant modric esque control.

My point is that with such small sample sizes we can't disregard attributing greatness to randomness.

Devils advocate aside. Psychology plays a huge part in delivering potential in high pressure situations. But WE should certainly know about "bottling it" being an easy and unjustified label on occasion.

In a players career how many minutes are in "big games". Equally - what defines taking a game by the neck. Coming off the bench to score an overhead kick. Or unasumed, consistant modric esque control.

Either/or....

My point is that with such small sample sizes we can't disregard attributing greatness to randomness.

Thing is, big games doesn't always = big opponents.... The sample size starts to grow.

I acknowledge your point re understated influence aggregated over the course of a whole season tho' (particularly if we're talking about a league title challenge).

Devils advocate aside. Psychology plays a huge part in delivering potential in high pressure situations. But WE should certainly know about "bottling it" being an easy and unjustified label on occasion.

As for psychology.... It's Eriksen's mentality that I question... Much like in the other CE thread, I'm not accusing him of 'downing tools'.

Back
Top Bottom