Christian Eriksen, it wasn’t supposed to end like this

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Jose also said he was aware of the fans feelings as no doubt Eriksen is. If the fans want to get the best out of Eriksen on Tuesday then they should cheer his name but if not boo it. If they do the latter before the match they are not true Spurs fans.

What exactly would I be cheering?

Willian, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Jonjo Shelvey, Samir Nasri, Jesse Lingard, Robert Snodgrass, Mesut Özil, Juan Mata and Charlie Adam

Nasri has made 6 PL appearances since 2016.
Shelvey spent a year in the Championship.
Ozil has only managed more than 26 PL matches twice in 6 full seasons.
Snodgrass made 1 PL appearance between 2014-2016 seasons.
Lingard made 1 PL appearance between 2013-2015.

I think you've missed the point.

You would be encouraging him to play well and feel he has the supporters behind him rather than feeling crap after his reception last Saturday. It is up to the opposition supporters to boo our players not our supporters.

While I don't encourage booing of any of our fans do you really believe that? Do you really believe he gives a shite about the club or about us as fans any more than he did about Ajax and their fans when he did exactly the same thing to them? All Eriksen wants to do is either get out in January or stay injury free till the summer. Its well within his right for him to do what he is doing but to suggest we should be cheering him for it? FUCK CLEAN OFF.

It’s similar to having a girlfriend you’ve broken up with but you still live together. Unbearable

Especially if that GF wanted a bigger richer more successful man after years of having quite a good relationship, then at the end she promised she loved you and would stay... if a richer more successful man came along. Then in the end she left for a bit of foreign tart in a less challenging field of work. who had a villa in Italy.

It says something when you don't play hard because you are unhappy. (Waste of money)

He is talented but unprofessional. But gotta blame our management too. We had a chance to get a lot back in return but......................................................

Now he will just walk away. LOL

Care to provide the details of these big offers that we knocked back?

I'm unaware of any formal offer, but the world knows how Daniel Levy works (Real Madrid as much as anyone), and there were claims in the media as early as 2016 that Real were interested, but put off by the price tag on numerous occasions (at one time, rumored at over £200m). Real were still linked with him last summer, and may have put in an offer of £40m for him, with Levy countering with £80m. It was expected my several media outlets that Real Madrid would offer £60m, and Levy would let him go at that price, but it seems Real never made that final offer.

Barcelona were also rumored as interested in 2017-18, but Spurs were unwilling to sell. I've linked a couple of sources below, but these are by no means the only ones.

So you're saying we should have cashed in on him in 2016? You'd have been happy with that and wouldnt have vilified the chairman for it?

I call bollocks.

As for the numbers you're quoting you and/or the media are just speculating.

According to some on here he’s world class and could’ve walked into any team. You would think the top clubs would be fighting over him.
Maybe some think that, but it's not the consensus view, and it's irrelevant either way.

Levy took a calculated risk by keeping Eriksen when he wanted out. Eriksen likely overvalued himself, and I don't really blame Levy for trying to keep him, but it's pretty daft to argue that if Levy had actively shopped Eriksen to the top European clubs, that he couldn't have found a buyer for 35-40million pounds last summer. Maybe he wouldn't have, but there's no indication that he even tried. And it might be a low sum, but it's much better than one season of shite play and losing him for free.

I think Eriksen and Levy both overplayed their hands to the club's detriment.

Paid 11 million got the best years out of him...his head was turned, form turned to dog shit...things got a little bitter towards the end. Sold him made a profit......happy days. Bye Chrissie and thank you. My mind will eventually rid itself of the turmoil and rank performances and remember the class act you were....

When he was on it, he was sublime. So much so that it made it much more frustrating when he wasn't on it. He told us before he even arrived that he'd leave one day, that he'll have played 7 full seasons at Spurs is honestly surprising.

If anything, his personal legacy at Spurs perfectly mirrors the legacy of the teams he played for here - nearly great, but never quite consistent enough.

yeah maybe you are right. Time will tell. I’ll miss him to be honest, but the version of him I will miss I am not certain we will ever see again.

I don’t believe that any club in the world would have taken him, because if they wanted to, they would have.

Let me restate that as he could have played for any club in the world. They didn't take him because our asking price was too high, and Daniel Levy didn't want to sell anyway.

He hasn't been good this season (and last season wasn't necessarily great), but I think this season's dip in form has a lot to do with him not starting the season, and not getting much playing time under Poch. I'm not sure whose fault that is...it could have been Eriksen's head not being right after Real Madrid didn't come for him (as Poch hinted), but it might have been that Poch was pissed at him for wanting to leave, so he sat him (like he did with other players when he didn't agree with their motives). Without Eriksen playing at the beginning of the season, the squad learned to play without him, and he's not the focal point on the pitch (tactically) like he's been in past seasons. I hope he starts to find some form if we do have him for the rest of the season, because I think he's still capable, and I don't want to believe he's binned it because he wants out. We're a better team with him, even at 75%.

Last edited:
Let me restate that as he could have played for any club in the world. They didn't take him because our asking price was too high, and Daniel Levy didn't want to sell anyway.

He hasn't been good this season (and last season wasn't necessarily great), but I think this season's dip in form has a lot to do with him not starting the season, and not getting much playing time under Poch. I'm not sure whose fault that is...it could have been Eriksen's head not being right after Real Madrid didn't come for him (as Poch hinted), but it might have been that Poch was pissed at him for wanting to leave, so he sat him (like he did with other players when he didn't agree with their motives). Without Eriksen playing at the beginning of the season, the squad learned to play without him, and he's not the focal point on the pitch (tactically) like he's been in past seasons. I hope he starts to find some form if we do have him for the rest of the season, because I think he's still capable, and I don't want to believe he's binned it because he wants out. We're a better team with him, even at 75%.
Fair enough.
Given we are not on the board it’s only ever going to be speculation as to who / what / why he stayed.

What price did Levy set and how much were Madrid and Barca willing to pay?

Hopefully he signs for a team that is a success at failure and he can always remember the summer night in Madrid 2019 that a truly great world class midfielder was needed to win a CL final.

If he had of performed and won us the game that night the offers would have flooded in.

But he fucked his big audition. And any chance he had of a big move for big money.

Not a big game player. End of.

You usually get what you deserve in sport. That night is where his dream move Ended. He’s just a squad player now for the big boys.

For all he has done it is time to just let him rot on the sideline. I just don't see the point of letting him get anywhere near the bench since his head hasn't been here for awhile now.

I would much rather see Lo Celso command Christians place in the side.

Maybe some think that, but it's not the consensus view, and it's irrelevant either way.

Levy took a calculated risk by keeping Eriksen when he wanted out. Eriksen likely overvalued himself, and I don't really blame Levy for trying to keep him, but it's pretty daft to argue that if Levy had actively shopped Eriksen to the top European clubs, that he couldn't have found a buyer for 35-40million pounds last summer. Maybe he wouldn't have, but there's no indication that he even tried. And it might be a low sum, but it's much better than one season of shite play and losing him for free.

I think Eriksen and Levy both overplayed their hands to the club's detriment.

I think if we'd received a bid of 50m from a club that interested CE he'd have been gone.

In fact, I'm still yet to see any reports that categorically state that ANY bids were made.

Back
Top Bottom