Christian Eriksen, it wasn’t supposed to end like this

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

300 games & 60 odd goals. I think History will, rightly, record him as a decent servant. Nothing more glamorous than that though.

he’ Better than average, but not much more. He’s not Bale nor Modric level, although almost no one is.

in time how he leaves will be forgotten and fans will get sentimental about him, forgetting his shit corners and terrible free kicks and remembering his couple of scored free kicks and that City winner. Similar to how Berbatov is generally not hated now and his lazy play is forgotten too.

Ericksen cost £12m, left for free, won fuck all. Move on.

I think tarnishing his legacy is a bit overboard. I thought he was one of the best in the league a few years ago, now I don't expect the same performances. Realistically what has he done wrong? Christ, he's got people chanting shit about his lady and Verts. Despite that he's never said anything against the team or fans, even with all the shit we are giving him.

I'm at home watching matches and throwing my arms up in frustration with every poor corner or misplaced pass but at the end of the day his poor form isn't tarnishing his legacy.

When he was on it, he was sublime. So much so that it made it much more frustrating when he wasn't on it. He told us before he even arrived that he'd leave one day, that he'll have played 7 full seasons at Spurs is honestly surprising.

If anything, his personal legacy at Spurs perfectly mirrors the legacy of the teams he played for here - nearly great, but never quite consistent enough.

300 games & 60 odd goals. I think History will, rightly, record him as a decent servant. Nothing more glamorous than that though.

he’ Better than average, but not much more. He’s not Bale nor Modric level, although almost no one is.

in time how he leaves will be forgotten and fans will get sentimental about him, forgetting his shit corners and terrible free kicks and remembering his couple of scored free kicks and that City winner. Similar to how Berbatov is generally not hated now and his lazy play is forgotten too.

Ericksen cost £12m, left for free, won fuck all. Move on.

Better than average, not much more? For three years, any club in the world would have been taken him. Maybe his corners and free kicks weren't always up to snuff...well, then we should have had someone else taking them. Bale and Modric didn't win anything here either.

Better than average, not much more? For three years, any club in the world would have been taken him. Maybe his corners and free kicks weren't always up to snuff...well, then we should have had someone else taking them. Bale and Modric didn't win anything here either.

yeah maybe you are right. Time will tell. I’ll miss him to be honest, but the version of him I will miss I am not certain we will ever see again.

I don’t believe that any club in the world would have taken him, because if they wanted to, they would have.

yeah maybe you are right. Time will tell. I’ll miss him to be honest, but the version of him I will miss I am not certain we will ever see again.

I don’t believe that any club in the world would have taken him, because if they wanted to, they would have.

Let me restate that as he could have played for any club in the world. They didn't take him because our asking price was too high, and Daniel Levy didn't want to sell anyway.

He hasn't been good this season (and last season wasn't necessarily great), but I think this season's dip in form has a lot to do with him not starting the season, and not getting much playing time under Poch. I'm not sure whose fault that is...it could have been Eriksen's head not being right after Real Madrid didn't come for him (as Poch hinted), but it might have been that Poch was pissed at him for wanting to leave, so he sat him (like he did with other players when he didn't agree with their motives). Without Eriksen playing at the beginning of the season, the squad learned to play without him, and he's not the focal point on the pitch (tactically) like he's been in past seasons. I hope he starts to find some form if we do have him for the rest of the season, because I think he's still capable, and I don't want to believe he's binned it because he wants out. We're a better team with him, even at 75%.

Last edited:
Let me restate that as he could have played for any club in the world. They didn't take him because our asking price was too high, and Daniel Levy didn't want to sell anyway.

He hasn't been good this season (and last season wasn't necessarily great), but I think this season's dip in form has a lot to do with him not starting the season, and not getting much playing time under Poch. I'm not sure whose fault that is...it could have been Eriksen's head not being right after Real Madrid didn't come for him (as Poch hinted), but it might have been that Poch was pissed at him for wanting to leave, so he sat him (like he did with other players when he didn't agree with their motives). Without Eriksen playing at the beginning of the season, the squad learned to play without him, and he's not the focal point on the pitch (tactically) like he's been in past seasons. I hope he starts to find some form if we do have him for the rest of the season, because I think he's still capable, and I don't want to believe he's binned it because he wants out. We're a better team with him, even at 75%.
Fair enough.
Given we are not on the board it’s only ever going to be speculation as to who / what / why he stayed.

This has been covered ad nauseum in his own thread, I'm annoyed at myself in wasting five minutes reading the article and posting a reply. He is done as far as I'm concerned and has been for months. I just wish we could sort out a deal and move on.

What price did Levy set and how much were Madrid and Barca willing to pay?

It says something when you don't play hard because you are unhappy. (Waste of money)

He is talented but unprofessional. But gotta blame our management too. We had a chance to get a lot back in return but......................................................

Now he will just walk away. LOL

It says something when you don't play hard because you are unhappy. (Waste of money)

He is talented but unprofessional. But gotta blame our management too. We had a chance to get a lot back in return but......................................................

Care to provide the details of these big offers that we knocked back?

Where's the evidence that he's not playing hard? I don't disagree that he's out of form, but that could have more to do with match fitness, the sporadic playing time he's gotten this season, lack of confidence, stresses off the pitch, as well as other things.

Last edited:
Danius Danius Please can you answer the questions from me and Airfixx Airfixx

I'm unaware of any formal offer, but the world knows how Daniel Levy works (Real Madrid as much as anyone), and there were claims in the media as early as 2016 that Real were interested, but put off by the price tag on numerous occasions (at one time, rumored at over £200m). Real were still linked with him last summer, and may have put in an offer of £40m for him, with Levy countering with £80m. It was expected by several media outlets that Real Madrid would offer £60m, and Levy would let him go at that price, but it seems Real never made that final offer.

Barcelona were also rumored as interested in 2017-18, but Spurs were unwilling to sell. I've linked a couple of sources below, but these are by no means the only ones.

Last edited:
I'm unaware of any formal offer, but the world knows how Daniel Levy works (Real Madrid as much as anyone), and there were claims in the media as early as 2016 that Real were interested, but put off by the price tag on numerous occasions (at one time, rumored at over £200m). Real were still linked with him last summer, and may have put in an offer of £40m for him, with Levy countering with £80m. It was expected my several media outlets that Real Madrid would offer £60m, and Levy would let him go at that price, but it seems Real never made that final offer.

Barcelona were also rumored as interested in 2017-18, but Spurs were unwilling to sell. I've linked a couple of sources below, but these are by no means the only ones.

So you're saying we should have cashed in on him in 2016? You'd have been happy with that and wouldnt have vilified the chairman for it?

I call bollocks.

As for the numbers you're quoting you and/or the media are just speculating.

Back
Top Bottom