Chris Hughton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Posted before, so excuse the indulgence of posting it again but it's one of my favourite Spurs player photos...
%2Fmethode%2Fsundaytimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F5909c102-e26d-11e7-b446-30898d5bb4d6.jpg

I met Chrissie a few times. He was the best friend of the boyfriend of a girl I used to work with, and he went to the same school as my ex. Down-to-earth, never forgot where he came from.
A genuine guy who has been treated poorly by various clubs. You have to admire his strength of character to keep going, as it must be discouraging to keep getting knocked back. Don't know if he has the credentials to be the head coach at a top club, but he should never be out of work for too long, there are enough clubs out there to keep him employed.

Last edited:
Good solid little manager Chris Hughton - even if he is a bit negative in his approach. He's never got a club relegated and does well regarding promotion.

He's been permanent manager of 4 clubs. Newcastle, Birmingham, Norwich and Brighton.

He broke records at Newcastle during his first season there which saw them get promoted and win the Championship. His first ever season in the Premier League as manager saw him sacked with Newcastle in 11th!!

He then went to Birmingham and got them to the group stages of the Europa League, bare in mind Birmingham are in the Championship, and only getting knocked out by finishing 1 point off top of their EL group! - he then guided them to 4th place in the Championship before losing in a play off semi final.

He left Birmingham after that one season and joined Norwich - He lead them to 11th place in the Premier League, which was better than the 12th place they finished the season prior. The following year they sacked him when Norwich were 17th in the league and 5 points clear of safety.... They ended up going down. Getting just 1 point from their final 5 games.

Brighton came next - joined half way through a season and kept them up after fighting relegation (finishing 20th) - He then guided them to 3rd the following season before losing in the play offs. The following year he done one better, finishing 2nd and getting automatic promotion. He then guided them to a brilliant 15th in the Premier League and then kept them up again the following year whilst also leading them to the FA Cup Semi Final.

Good luck Hughton - your record tells me Bristol City are due a play off finish next season.

Top bloke, always remember living over Chigwell way when we trained down by the dump whem Graham was in charge, walked in the gate and Chris came up to us , shook hands and that, i asked if we could watch the lads train, he said if i was in charge no problem but Graham wont let any fans in .... he then shook our hands again and shouted come on you Spurs, top man

Amazing thing happened years ago. I was outside waiting for autographs. I got several, then my hero drove out:

“ Chris you create so many chances, but you’re always looking for a finisher- you need to shoot more often because you always find the space- just fucking shoot!

He nodded.

Four days later Wrexham in the league cup (I think), he did his usual run with ball down the left - cut inside and scored a blinder off the bar. The man listens to fans.

I worshipped him as a kid because I played In his position at school. I’d watch his every move even if he didn’t have the ball.

A big but tough job. Can only wish him well. Loved him as a player, he always gave everything and delivered a good right hander to Alan Sunderland.

Poor guy is having a very difficult time at Forest. They’re rock bottom of the Championship. They’ve become a total basket case from being one of the bigger and more respected clubs in England when I was growing up. I’d love to see Chris do well at a club and get proper backing too.

I love Chris Hughton. Would be very happy to see him back with us at some point. He’s keeping Brighton solid because that’s what they have to do to grind out points.

Great player and someone who still commands respect without acting like an angry twat.

What is this thread all about?

Solidarity and support for a former Spurs player who is on the fringes of being a legend as well as being a very good Spurs assistant manager........who has been a decent manager at lower PL clubs and clubs trying to get into PL. Brighton won't get a better more successful manager than one who got them to PL for the first time

Hughton has progressed from Technical Advisor to Ghana Head Coach.

Don't pick you-know-who, Chris. Or at least chin him like you did to Alan Sunderland all those years ago.

Back
Top Bottom