Champion's League? You're having a laugh.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would take the FA Cup over getting fourth place, and I agree that there is a bit too much focus on the Champions League maybe. From August onwards, every game is seen in the context of its impact on our hopes of getting into the CL.

Sometimes it feels like you can't just enjoy the game for what it is. When I was growing up all I cared about was that week's game, just as a highlight to the week really. Now every defeat is analysed to death and seen as a massive blot on the manager's CV.

This is, in part, exactly what I mean.

As we come to the end of the season and people post-rationalise, "if only we had..." against Liverpool, wigan, completely ignoring the 4 points that we took off United or the points against city and goons, which got us to where we are currently.

Just enjoy what we have for what it is, and stop holding CL up as something greater than it is. It's a means to an end, just to play in the competition itself is not what I consider to be 'Glory'.

But as I said right from the start.

Maybe it's just me..........

when all those rich douchebags are just waiting to swoop out bale like they did to modric, CL qualification is definately required, and it means we get to finish over the gooners for once :D

other than that, i'm happy to support regardless of our place, but I think we should play in the Europa

I think AVB has done EXTREMELY well in his first year and with the resources available and injuries etc. I think it's just annoying as we did so well especially in Feb that our target could change throughout the season.
It's roughly like aiming for 50,000 in 'Who wants to be a Millionaire?' and then being on for a Million knowing the correct answer and then somehow messing it up. Not quite an airtight analogy but I think you get the idea lol.

As we come to the end of the season and people post-rationalise, "if only we had..." against Liverpool, wigan, completely ignoring the 4 points that we took off United or the points against city and goons, which got us to where we are currently.

Its not completely ignoring anything, its acknowledging that beating Man U away means nothing when you take 1pt off Wigan out of a possible 6. Personally Id prefer it if we lost twice to Man U, and beat Wigan twice, because we'd be 1pt better off going into the Stoke game. That would mean we could still finish above Chelsea.

If anything is ignoring things, its the view that suddenly our objectives dont matter because we beat City, Utd and Woolwich.

Beating the big clubs should mark a step forward, not make us happy because we swapped a victory over City for one against Fulham.....or that we decided to give Everton two goals and 3pts with 10 seconds of the match left.

I dont think its out of the question to wish we had taken 5 or 6pts from the 15 available, at home from Wigan, Norwich, WBA, Stoke and Fulham................as opposed to the 3 we took.

But surely the Top 4 argument has to work both ways -

If we would benefit from being in it, as top players supposedly want to play CL football and we "need" to be in it to attract them, then conversly, we run the risk of them leaving if we continuosly fail to qualify...

I think that Bale is of that class that he is beyond staying at Spurs long term. It'd be great for the club to qualify but Bale is a cut above a club that's struggling to qualify. He's a serial CL semi finalist. So whether we qualify this and next year, neither or just one - he'll leave in 2014.

I think that Bale is of that class that he is beyond staying at Spurs long term. It'd be great for the club to qualify but Bale is a cut above a club that's struggling to qualify. He's a serial CL semi finalist. So whether we qualify this and next year, neither or just one - he'll leave in 2014.

I'd agree that to be able to keep Bale long term we need to be in title fight!

2014 will be make-or-break, unless he extends his contract...

so remind me which team won the fa cup today? the expensively assembled team of mercenaries, who will no doubt regularly appear in the cl. or a club whose entire squad salary is less than some of the individuals they beat?

money can buy you a lot, integrity isn't one. and in the real world, it is clearly no guarantee of success.

Indeed tricky! That was a win for football vs money in the beautiful game. However, we don't want to do what City and Chelsea are doing. For we that is like cheating on Football Manager.

We all love that Wigan won the cup today, but it's suddenly not a proof that their model proves successful. One trophy in 89(?) years tell you that! A bit like 1987 this, as romatic it was.

However, keep building like we do now and we can fight for trophies in the future on a regular basis. And for that to happen we need to build a new stadium (or any increase in revenue) - it is essential for the fundament for future! To qualify in the Champions League would shorten that wait.

It's not the holy grail, but it's better than not being there.

You know how bad we feel, when we lose a game we should win, or when Cheatski win a European cup final they should have been hammered in?

Imagine how Citeh supporters feel, supporting a team that was once the dogshit on the premier leagues shoe - who went on to be the prostitute that fucked a Richard Gere in pretty woman

and then begged to be raped in the arse by Jimmy saville............in the FA cup final

actually - not making 4th isn't so bad

New manager - (a supposed failure,) lost our 3 best players, and had multiple hospital cases all season

and we can (still) make our best points haul ever in the premier league

could be worse....................

so remind me which team won the fa cup today? the expensively assembled team of mercenaries, who will no doubt regularly appear in the cl. or a club whose entire squad salary is less than some of the individuals they beat?

money can buy you a lot, integrity isn't one. and in the real world, it is clearly no guarantee of success.
So because Wigan won the FA Cup we don't want to be in the Champions' League? I don't follow.

I loved the Europa this year because our manager and players gave a toss about it. I enjoy watching Spurs play first and foremost, who or in what competition doesn't really bother me to an extent. No CL wouldn't be the end of the world considering the managerial change, loss of our best player (luka) loss of our two first choice centre backs King and Kaboul. Com p lete loss of form of our main Striker ade. Loss of our best player this season (first half) in sandro. Dembele isn't fit since January. In perspective we are doing far better than we 'should' be. Can't wait for next year regardless what European Competition we're in COYS :KING:

no, it was a response to the 'money = win' suggestion that people use to rationalise wanting cl for the revenue alone.
Look down the list of league champions from the past 10 years and pick out any that aren't rich and in the top 4 the year before. Wigan won the FA Cup this year, Chelsea won it in 2012, City 2011, Chelsea 2010, Chelsea 2009.

Look down the list of league champions from the past 10 years and pick out any that aren't rich and in the top 4 the year before. Wigan won the FA Cup this year, Chelsea won it in 2012, City 2011, Chelsea 2010, Chelsea 2009.
All I was saying was that sometimes you don't need just money to win, there are other riches to be found in integrity amd stability. and from that list I'd rather be more like wigan than the next citeh or chav sell out.
of course it probably now means the martinez will go to Everton. but at least chairmam and manager have stuck by each other in the past amd there is respect.

no but there is a strong positive correlation between cash and trophies/place in the league. But thank god for outliers like yesterday and brum beating Woolwich.

A lot of us would like top 4, even if it meant missing out on Europa League, though all the teams in the EL semi-final started in the CL so we might find ourselves winning that competition ablight with better players. My priority is finishing above the scum.

Back
Top Bottom