Champions League 2018-19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I just had a look at UEFA co-efficient rankings just out of interest as I’d noticed we’re now in pot two. Interestingly the Scum are way ahead of us on points despite not having played CL football last season, and looking at the points accrued for last season it seems that they were awarded the same number of points as us for their stint in the Thursday Cup. What a fucking stitch.
The point system is ridiculous... you get almost the same number of points for the Europa league as the champions league.

The point system is ridiculous... you get almost the same number of points for the Europa league as the champions league.

Not really - just making it out of the group to the round of 16 in the CL is a huge (5 point) bonus. You have to go quite deep in the EL to make up the difference. Woolwich had to get all the way to the semifinals to equal what we got for just getting out of the group stage.

EL is about 2/3rds the point of the CL for a similar performance. That seems fair(ish) to me.

Not really - just making it out of the group to the round of 16 in the CL is a huge (5 point) bonus. You have to go quite deep in the EL to make up the difference. Woolwich had to get all the way to the semifinals to equal what we got for just getting out of the group stage.

EL is about 2/3rds the point of the CL for a similar performance. That seems fair(ish) to me.
We had a better group record playing Real Madrid and Dortmund in the group stage and had to face juventus.

They got red star Belgrade, fc koln, and bate. Then some Swedish team, ac Milan, Cska Moscow. None of those teams would advance to the knockout round in ucl

Why are the 2 Manchester clubs not linked but us with MC and MU with Liverpool?
Once MC drawn we have to go in the other side of the draw.
Television - United and Liverpool attract the best viewing figures (by some distance) so they're paired to make sure they play on different nights. Which leaves us and City to be paired to make sure each night has two English teams playing. If City and United are in the same half of the draw, they'll then make sure that if City are home first United are away first and vice-versa to prevent the police having to deal with two games in Manchester at the same time.

Prefer to avoid Atletico. I think they'd frustrate us in a pragmatic, unentertaining way. I'd rather Barca or Real, more open and exciting.

Back
Top Bottom