Capital One Cup

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Managers that whine about teams defending should spend more time working out how to break those teams down. Wenger did it for years, and its pathetic.

A team doesnt go to an away ground, against a vastly "superior" and more expensive side, with a much better "tactically astute" manager, and play to the home teams strengths.

Why would any manger play in a way that will see you lose 7-0?

Big Sam is right on this one....West Ham may have "parked the bus" but they spanked us anyway...and played us off the pitch, not scraped a 0-0.

Managers that whine about teams defending should spend more time working out how to break those teams down. Wenger did it for years, and its pathetic.

A team doesnt go to an away ground, against a vastly "superior" and more expensive side, with a much better "tactically astute" manager, and play to the home teams strengths.

Why would any manger play in a way that will see you lose 7-0?

Big Sam is right on this one....West Ham may have "parked the bus" but they spanked us anyway...and played us off the pitch, not scraped a 0-0.

Woah woah woah. I was at the game and they did not play us off the pitch. They were dogshit going forward bar that one good goal. Tactically astute and a well executed game plan. Sure. But the 3-0 was so hard to take because they were so obviously talentless with the ball (bar Morrison)
One of their goals was a set piece and the other one ricoched off the goalkeeper for gods sake

Woah woah woah. I was at the game and they did not play us off the pitch. They were dogshit going forward bar that one good goal. Tactically astute and a well executed game plan. Sure. But the 3-0 was so hard to take because they were so obviously talentless with the ball (bar Morrison)
One of their goals was a set piece and the other one ricoched off the goalkeeper for gods sake

Their midfield overran us, and their defence absorbed all our pressure and they took their chances.

Our CBs sit on the halfway line.....cant moan about the oppo having 11 men behind the ball...

At the hour mark I was confident we would eventually break them down and win (altho the hangover and block A ticket I had on top of our lacklustre performance was making me regret attending). After they scored the first from a corner (which we generally ain't fantastic at either end) the next two were breakaways which mean the score line flattered them. Agree that we were shit but they weren't great.

Either way I'm thrilled we drew them at home (scene of the crime). Time for some absolution!!!

They had more shots, more shots on target and more corners with only 39% posession..

If you'd have quoted my next sentence "Agree that we were shit but they weren't great". Then those stats you bring up possibly back this point up, no?

Either way, on the 'park the bus' debate: course weaker teams should do so if it increases their chances of a result - but that doesn't mean that the attacking teams shouldn't comment on that fact both as an explanation and to perhaps goad other teams in to being more open. We have a right to be annoyed with teams that come with minimal ambition as our only interest in spurs. No one else.

If you'd have quoted my next sentence "Agree that we were shit but they weren't great". Then those stats you bring up possibly back this point up, no?

Either way, on the 'park the bus' debate: course weaker teams should do so if it increases their chances of a result - but that doesn't mean that the attacking teams shouldn't comment on that fact both as an explanation and to perhaps goad other teams in to being more open. We have a right to be annoyed with teams that come with minimal ambition as our only interest in spurs. No one else.

I think its called sour grapes, as top managers only whine about it after a bad result. Im not annoyed that West Ham (supposedley) used negative tactics, or Hull, or whoever.

I find it more annoying that we dont utilise our squad to deal with it....then bitch about getting spanked 3-0 at home by a team that didnt play a striker.

When we were shit, how do you think we got the odd draw at Chelsea or Highbury.....by full on attacking football and trying to play them at their game?

We did a perfect job on AC MIlan, sat deep, defended, and picked them off, in the second half. We dominated posession in the first, but was not going at them full on. Why would we?

Maybe you think the Italian press had a right to slag us off afterwards? I think they were talking shit.

And my interest is in Spurs, yes, but Spurs is nothing in isolation. We improve by dealing with other teams and their tactical approach, not sit there and say that every team that beats us, or gives us a hard time are very naughty, and should play in a way that gives us an advantage over them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom