Cancelling Contracts

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Doherty was a Mourinho transfer. Gestifute is the agency company. They ship talented Portuguese players all over Europe, which we werent to spend money on. So instead we got one of the worst players from a prominent list. Hence the reason he had no problems of going from us to Atletico in the space of 2 days. Or Cancelo from City to Bayern. Or Wolves overdose on Portuguese footballers.

Doherty was bought for way too much anyway, 15m for a 29 year old I believe? Decision was made purely out of Mourinhos contacts to the agency.

Cancelling a contract of an asset with residual value represents a business failure.

It was a mistake cancelling Auriers.
It was a mistake cancelling Docs.

The club are passing up on valuable revenue. €5 m here and there in footballing terms might be fuck all but in the real world - where a lot of our THFC business takes place (think staff/maintenance/overheads etc - it’s a shit load of money.

It also signals to other clubs that we can be forced to let players go for fuck all reducing the already small group willing to pay for our failures.

If it’s true that doc was cancelled as we fucked up on the loan numbers then there should be sackings - today.

But most of all if we are in the position where we are cancelling contracts Doc seems a very odd choice. I could think of 5 off the top of my head who would be in front of him.

We really need to get our act together in terms of shifting deadwood.
Very surprised our lawyers missed this till the last second. We will take a small hit on the books. £2-4m in capital I assume. That is still a costly fuck up for those responsible.

I believe Doherty could have been sold. Played ok in a top 5 side.

Good enough to go to Madrid.

Gotta be worth £2-4 mill to a bottom half side.

Presumably you want us to be a big successful side? Cutting your losses and moving on is how the likes of Chelsea and City have operated for years. In fact I bet you would be on here starting threads about how we should be letting players go below their value to clear out and free up wages.

Spurs are not a badly run club. If we could have sold, we would have. 2-4m covers how many months of his wages? You do the maths bearing in mind we didn’t have a buyer this window.

It wasn't a mistake if there was a net saving. How many complain we are not able to cut our losses and move on? Well we are. And it was the right thing to do.
I think the point is that the club forgot about FIFA loan rules leading to a quick termination. It was a fuck up and will mean a few million lost in capital. Doherty could have been sold for at least £2m. You're right the expenditure is reduced because of wages but it is negligible in this case. Overall loss.
However, I think we have to take a hit on other players out on loan.

I wonder if we were able to write off some/all of the Danjuma loan fee for whatever is still owed from Foyth or the loan fees from GLC etc.

Finance first as per usual, highly suspect he was only let go because they can't count to 8
/didn't know the rules and someone actually wanted him, likely because we were offering him around...because he's least left on his deal.

Lol@the mental gymnastics from some corners over what was clearly a complete balls up resulting in the cancellation of an 18 month contract and probably only saved 6 months wages while losing out on a transfer fee.

I think the point is that the club forgot about FIFA loan rules leading to a quick termination. It was a fuck up and will mean a few million lost in capital. Doherty could have been sold for at least £2m. You're right the expenditure is reduced because of wages but it is negligible in this case. Overall loss.

Honestly there are idiots somewhere. And a simple maths equation will give us the answer. Was it the people who released him or the fans who can’t add up? Multiply Dohertys wages by 6 months and tell me if it made sense to keep him around to sell for 2m. He’s 30 years old not 24 (Royal). Large clubs do this. They let players go.

I don’t think we would have got 2M. Perhaps if he was loaned and we paid half his wages but no-one is going to pay a fee, match his wage and extend the term. Just not going to happen

Honestly there are idiots somewhere. And a simple maths equation will give us the answer. Was it the people who released him or the fans who can’t add up? Multiply Dohertys wages by 6 months and tell me if it made sense to keep him around to sell for 2m. He’s 30 years old not 24 (Royal). Large clubs do this. They let players go.
It is not a simple maths equation though. It is how value (capital) is reflected on the accounts. It is not a problem for me but the rule was clearly overlooked and I think we could have got some transfer fee for him without the error. I don't care though.

Why do you think we have so many high value players out on loan? Levy is obsessed with this stuff (not me).

We have so much deadwood to shift it probably makes sense just to get rid.
In Doherty’s case it’s not really a big deal.

One of the things the club needs to do is invest heavily in scouting. The big Portuguese clubs do this so well and have a never ending conveyer belt of youth prospects and gems they have got from South America, Spain and southern Europe.

It is not a simple maths equation though. It is how value (capital) is reflected on the accounts. It is not a problem for me but the rule was clearly overlooked and I think we could have got some transfer fee for him without the error. I don't care though.

Why do you think we have so many high value players out on loan? Levy is obsessed with this stuff (not me).
Lower PL clubs now have better data analysts and scouts than us, so they have zero interest in our dreggs nowadays. Years ago, West Ham, Middlesbrough, Hull etc would take a player or two on a whim on the say so of a lazy manager and Levy loved that no doubt. Those clubs have all progressed whereas as he’s still here

The problem with this is, we spent a month haggling over Porro and ended up losing more than the money we saved by simply releasing Doherty. That's a clusterfuck of mistakes.
We could have signed Porro in early January then spent the whole month whoring out the other RB's. Even if we let Doc go for £3-£5m we'd be better off now than we are.
AND We'd have had Porro for games where we dropped points and he may have helped.

I'm not against cutting players free to save on wages, but I don't think Doc was an unsellable flap of skin like some of the players we want rid of.

I don't think it matters tbh. He's not gonna stand out in the PL when he gets hacked over all the time. Sad but true. He may develop resilience to it in Spain but they're not as physical so he might never learn to do it there.
Agreed, whole thing could've gone a lot better. Ideally sell Doherty on 1st January for a fee, keep Spence until Porro was brought in. And Porro in weeks earlier.

Last edited:
18 months left on his deal which means they likely paid off the majority of it to get him out.

6 months more than the contract we ripped up for Serge because he was going to go on a free and told them so.

We're so well run that we've ripped up two right backs contracts within a year and a fucking half of each other to sign another right back.

This was clearly a balls up and nothing to do with 'large clubs', why the fuck do you think a loan was all over reports before they had to rip it up?

18 months left on his deal which means they likely paid off the majority of it to get him out.

6 months more than the contract we ripped up for Serge because he was going to go on a free and told them so.

We're so well run that we've ripped up two right backs contracts within a year and a fucking half of each other to sign another right back.

This was clearly a balls up and nothing to do with 'large clubs', why the fuck do you think a loan was all over reports before they had to rip it up?

Small club mentality. :contehandshead:

We have so much deadwood to shift it probably makes sense just to get rid.
In Doherty’s case it’s not really a big deal.

One of the things the club needs to do is invest heavily in scouting. The big Portuguese clubs do this so well and have a never ending conveyer belt of youth prospects and gems they have got from South America, Spain and southern Europe.

The facility to develop these players is an integral part of the process though (for different reasons you can include clubs like Dortmund in this statement... Ditto Brighton.)....... It's not a simple as just 'scout the best kids'. Developing multiple players at once from nothing more than raw teenage status is just not viable when you're a manager tasked with punching above your weight to gain top four in the EPL.

At that stage players need regular game-time and a platform which allows the the scope to make mistakes.

Look at Foden; even in a well oiled machine line City; Pep saw fit to drip-feed him gametime over a few years.

(Even Arse had to suffer 8th place finishes to allow some of their current crop - and manager! - to grow.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom