Cancelling Contracts

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Cancelling a contract of an asset with residual value represents a business failure.

It was a mistake cancelling Auriers.
It was a mistake cancelling Docs.

The club are passing up on valuable revenue. €5 m here and there in footballing terms might be fuck all but in the real world - where a lot of our THFC business takes place (think staff/maintenance/overheads etc - it’s a shit load of money.

It also signals to other clubs that we can be forced to let players go for fuck all reducing the already small group willing to pay for our failures.

If it’s true that doc was cancelled as we fucked up on the loan numbers then there should be sackings - today.

But most of all if we are in the position where we are cancelling contracts Doc seems a very odd choice. I could think of 5 off the top of my head who would be in front of him.

We really need to get our act together in terms of shifting deadwood.

Cancelling a contract of an asset with residual value represents a business failure.

The club are passing up on valuable revenue. €5 m here and there in footballing terms might be fuck all but in the real world - where a lot of our THFC business takes place (think staff/maintenance/overheads etc - it’s a shit load of money.

It also signals to other clubs that we can be forced to let players go for fuck all reducing the already small group willing to pay for our failures.

If it’s true that doc was cancelled as we fucked up on the loan numbers then there should be sackings - today.

But most of all if we are in the position where we are cancelling contracts Doc seems a very odd choice. I could think of 5 off the top of my head who would be in front of him.

Totally agree, bad ownership

You're right that it's partly on the club but Paratici's signings show no indication of real scouting and principles that guide decision making.

Can't yet attribute good signings to good scouting. The 4 successful signings (Perisic, Romero, Kulu and Benta) are players they were intimately familiar with but the rest has been a scatter gun approach with very little pay off.

We randomly overpay for players like Rich and Gil, who have no clear role in the team. Get hung up on Bastoni/Gvardiol but end up with Lenglet, was there really no other CB in the world we could have bought?

Even Sarr was not clever scouting, he was a hyped youngster in France, and not a bargain at £15m. Our scouts aren't unearthing any hidden gems.

We've released Dele, Aurier, Doc, and failed to sell any deadwood or academy kids for good money. Our transfers are as drawn out as ever.
My post on another thread.

We're incredibly badly managed right now. The legacy of old successes and a small handful of recent good deals has kept us afloat, but everything else connected to the club has been a shambles.

There's no aspect of how the club is run which you can point to as our unique selling point, or a way to get a leg up over the competition.

Wewe keep loaning out players to un-cooperative and skint clubs, who inevitably don't buy the player. Lo Celso to Villareal is a joke.

Gil is being loaned to Sevilla, instead of a PL club to prep him for PL football. We can't even get some buy obligations on any of them.

Even who we choose to loan out is a head scratcher. Moura and Sanchez should have been out on loan years ago, but they're still here. Tanganga had credible interest from the Milan clubs, and he's still here doing fuck all. I suppose our homegrown situation explains that and the Reguilon situation, but then how many years have we had to deal with that issue?

My post on another thread.

We're incredibly badly managed right now. The legacy of old successes and a small handful of recent good deals has kept us afloat, but everything else connected to the club has been a shambles.

There's no aspect of how the club is run which you can point to as our unique selling point, or a way to get a leg up over the competition.

Wewe keep loaning out players to un-cooperative and skint clubs, who inevitably don't buy the player. Lo Celso to Villareal is a joke.

Gil is being loaned to Sevilla, instead of a PL club to prep him for PL football. We can't even get some buy obligations on any of them.

Even who we choose to loan out is a head scratcher. Moura and Sanchez should have been out on loan years ago, but they're still here. Tanganga had credible interest from the Milan clubs, and he's still here doing fuck all. I suppose our homegrown situation explains that and the Reguilon situation, but then how many years have we had to deal with that issue?

Gil has been loaned back to the club we bought him from. We have given them £25m, Lamela and now Gil for, well, Gil. You can't make this shit up.

Gil has been loaned back to the club we bought him from. We have given them £25m, Lamela and now Gil for, well, Gil. You can't make this shit up.
Especially as everyone can see he particularly needs a loan to an English club. Then we at least find our

1. If he’s good enough for us.
2 If there is any interest in him from other PL sides who may actually pay a fee for him.

It’s mind boggling.

Especially as everyone can see he particularly needs a loan to an English club. Then we at least find our

2 If there is any interest in him from other PL sides who may actually pay a fee for him.

It’s mind boggling.
Exactly. He needs to be able to cope in this league to have any hope of a future. By all means SELL him back to a Spanish club, but loaning him anywhere except the Premier League teaches nothing to anyone.

People are making a stupid amount of fuss over this.

Doherty was worth little, ageing and his contract tricking down.

Both bigger or smaller and allegedly better run clubs than ours all cancel contracts..... It happens; sometimes to the benefit of the clubs. We rarely do this.... Some here complain that we should do it more!

Just last week...... Arse were being praised here for actually paying off (rather than mutually terminating) far bigger contracts than this, but now the script is being flipped to add fuel to a pile on.

Meh.

Last edited:

It’s mind boggling.
Gil will eventually be sold back to Spain for 10-15mil

Been obvious to me for a while that he's never gonna get a fair crack at spurs

In this window this wasn't a terrible move. Get Doherty's wages off the bill and clear a squad place. He was worth little in transfer fees, certainly less than the wages due to him over the remaining 1.5 seasons of his contract. Accounting wise it's more or less breaking even.

The problem was getting to a terrible state where there are 8 unfancied first team players out on loan abroad, and having THREE unfit for purpose right backs- two rubbish and the other totally unfancied by the manager. Recruitment 2017 to 2021 was astonishingly bad.

Cancelling contracts saves money if you can't sell them.
It was common place pre 00's to give ageing players a free transfer when you didn't want them.
We used to fuck that up too though.

Big Pat to N5 for a further 8 seasons while Spurs stumble along with Daines, Kendall and Aleksic for four years.

Spurs always find a way.

You can't expect mistakes not to be made - the important thing is how you deal with them. It's been a big problem of ours over the years not knowing when to cut our losses on players that aren't up to task, in wondkws gone by we'd have not signed Porro because we couldn't find a buyer for Doherty so this is a much better scenario all round - I'd be happy to see one or two more have their contracts terminated

You can't expect mistakes not to be made - the important thing is how you deal with them. It's been a big problem of ours over the years not knowing when to cut our losses on players that aren't up to task, in wondkws gone by we'd have not signed Porro because we couldn't find a buyer for Doherty so this is a much better scenario all round - I'd be happy to see one or two more have their contracts terminated
Do you think the 'Levy out' chants may have played a part in that?

Levy always knows what he can get away with at any given time.

It wasn't a mistake if there was a net saving. How many complain we are not able to cut our losses and move on? Well we are. And it was the right thing to do.
I believe Doherty could have been sold. Played ok in a top 5 side.

Good enough to go to Madrid.

Gotta be worth £2-4 mill to a bottom half side.

In this window this wasn't a terrible move. Get Doherty's wages off the bill and clear a squad place. He was worth little in transfer fees, certainly less than the wages due to him over the remaining 1.5 seasons of his contract. Accounting wise it's more or less breaking even.

The problem was getting to a terrible state where there are 8 unfancied first team players out on loan abroad, and having THREE unfit for purpose right backs- two rubbish and the other totally unfancied by the manager. Recruitment 2017 to 2021 was astonishingly bad.

The problem with this is, we spent a month haggling over Porro and ended up losing more than the money we saved by simply releasing Doherty. That's a clusterfuck of mistakes.
We could have signed Porro in early January then spent the whole month whoring out the other RB's. Even if we let Doc go for £3-£5m we'd be better off now than we are.
AND We'd have had Porro for games where we dropped points and he may have helped.

I'm not against cutting players free to save on wages, but I don't think Doc was an unsellable flap of skin like some of the players we want rid of.

All depends on who the manager is next season

I don't think it matters tbh. He's not gonna stand out in the PL when he gets hacked over all the time. Sad but true. He may develop resilience to it in Spain but they're not as physical so he might never learn to do it there.

get the feeling now that prem clubs dont just want basic loans, especially from other prem teams (effectively doing them a favour). the prem is the healthiest league in the world, they dont need loans for half a season.

Back
Top Bottom