Can we still win the league?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know its just a tiny very unlikely chance of us winning it however the fact we are still talking about it after losing Kane last summer and having a horrid times with Injuries in Anges first season fills me with hope for the next couple of seasons!

In that case, they'll probably reschedule it on the morning of the NLD... assuming that'll be on telly at 4pm

12:30; Chelsea v Spurs
16:00; Spurs v Woolwich

That's a full 2 hours of recovery - allowing for 15 minutes of injury time, or until Chelsea score the winner... (We can warm down on the coach from Stamford Bridge to N17)

Totally doable, I don't see the problem!

Imagine their faces if we won both back to back, against 11 men, no luck, no favourable VAR, nothing. Just two wins from the team they want to lose.

sad walk GIF by ABB Formula E

It’s the points dropped to lower / mid table teams that will come back to haunt us this season.
This is why I want an elite one vs one ball carrier. In my many years watching football I've rarely seen a side go close to winning a league without one. They break games win penalties produce moments of decisive chaos. They don't even need to be true world breakers like Bale or Salah: Rahim Sterling in his prime Rhyad Mahrez have been good enough for Leicester and Manchester City. Nico Williams would be that for us.

West Ham vs Spurs or West Ham vs anyone else?
Let's be serious, Spurs are why they say "there's no easy games"

We are a team who, one season beat Wigan 9-1
Then lose 0-1 the very next season.

We are a team that can go away and beat City, having lost at home the week before to Wolves.
And the week after beating City, lose to Burnley.

On paper, we should win all of our next 5 games.
We won't.

Little bit of recent history worth looking at though.

20/21
1st - City - 86 points (we can match that)
4th - Chelsea - 67 points - we can do that and lose to City, Arse AND Pool

21/22
1st - City - 96 points
4th - Tottenham 71 points (achievable)

22/23
1st - City - 89 points (not miles better than 86)
4th - Newcastle - 71 points

I don't want to get massively ahead of myself here. But 33 points to play for, it's not unreasonable to expect 50% - 16 points, that's 69 and we may even get more. In all of the last 3 prior seasons, 69+ is good for 5th or even 4th.

That's where we're aiming now. Not the title. If we were 11 points off top but sat in 2nd, it would be on. But we won't overtake 4 teams in 11 games. One or 2 of them may bottle it and have a terrible run. but not all 4.

Let's be serious, Spurs are why they say "there's no easy games"

We are a team who, one season beat Wigan 9-1
Then lose 0-1 the very next season.

We are a team that can go away and beat City, having lost at home the week before to Wolves.
And the week after beating City, lose to Burnley.

On paper, we should win all of our next 5 games.
We won't.

Little bit of recent history worth looking at though.

20/21
1st - City - 86 points (we can match that)
4th - Chelsea - 67 points - we can do that and lose to City, Arse AND Pool

21/22
1st - City - 96 points
4th - Tottenham 71 points (achievable)

22/23
1st - City - 89 points (not miles better than 86)
4th - Newcastle - 71 points

I don't want to get massively ahead of myself here. But 33 points to play for, it's not unreasonable to expect 50% - 16 points, that's 69 and we may even get more. In all of the last 3 prior seasons, 69+ is good for 5th or even 4th.

That's where we're aiming now. Not the title. If we were 11 points off top but sat in 2nd, it would be on. But we won't overtake 4 teams in 11 games. One or 2 of them may bottle it and have a terrible run. but not all 4.

I think we should get a few more than 69 points - about 73-75 is par

I agree with you but a lot can happen in ten (eleven) games. The top 3 will all drop points. Say we beat Fulham this weekend and Brighton get a point against Liverpool. Woolwich and City draw. We are then 2 points closer to all of them (who we still play) and with a game in hand too, and it then starts looking more plausible even if still unlikely.

If that were to happen, we'd be 6 points off top. We then play before the rest to take that down to 3 points.... Incredibly.

But that relies on us winning our next 3 games and Liverpool, City and Woolwich all dropping a point in their next league game. City vs Woolwich could quite feasibly be a draw but Liverpool will beat Brighton quite comfortably imv

They'd also have a game in hand over us. But we'd still have to play all 3.

I think we should get a few more than 69 points - about 73-75 is par
I think 69 is the minimum a fully fit, not injury and suspension ravaged 23/24 Spurs side should get.

Take out the games against the top 3

Fulham, Luton, Spam, Forest, Newcastle, Burnley & Sheff Utd
Average league position = 14th
More telling is the average PPG over their last 5. Accumulatively it's 0.9 ppg. Of those 7 games, only Fulham (1.8) Spam (1.4) and Newc (1.4) are over 1ppg.

We're currently at 10ppg. Dropped 2 points deep into injury time away to Everton which would have made it 2.4 ppg even with the loss to Wolves

Fulhams results aren't bad. Won away to United, destroyed Brighton 3-0

West Ham look ropey as fuck. Their wins were Brentford & Everton with draws against Burnley. Got hammered by Arse, United and even Forest.

Newcastles wins were against Forest, Wolves, losing to Chelsea and drawing with Luton and Bournemouth.

In short, 7 winnable games there IMO. 21 points would be outstanding and see us on 74.

Anything from the other 3 and/or Chelsea away would be brilliant.

I think we just need to push as hard as possible but with one huge eye on next season. If we get it right this summer then next season could be very interesting indeed. Liverpool - no Klopp, Man City - how much longer can Guardiola motivate them, Scum - same, Arteta has been there a while now, players will start to stop listening.

We just need to keep our important players in the summer and buy some more quality throughout the squad. Also luck of course, we need that.

They're waiting to see if we're still in with a shout of finishing 4th, or (even more terrifying for them) disturbing the Top 3...

If we lose a couple in the next few weeks, and are no longer a threat, they'll reschedule it in some empty week...

If we go on a run, and are 'in danger' of spoiling the Top 3 Title Super Sunday Showdown in May, then they'll shoehorn it in between the Man City & Woolwich games, to try and make sure we potentially lose all three!!

...anything to help lubricate their Top Three Title wankfest!

God, we really have become worse than the 'Victims'., haven't we . .:ange-facepalm:

God, we really have become worse than the 'Victims'., haven't we . .:ange-facepalm:
It

Was

A

Joke!!!

Anyway, they'll probably just reschedule it for this Saturday lunchtime...
Saves on the petrol/travel time from Stamford Bridge to Craven cottage!!!

12.30: Chelsea v Spurs
5.30: Fulham v Spurs!!

Piece of piss!

The only time consuming thing will be the kit change!!

I think we just need to push as hard as possible but with one huge eye on next season.
Why have any kind of eye on next season, let alone a huge one.

Of course next season might be more likely to produce results, but this season is far from done.

As I see it Spurs can win the next 5 games, then there are 3 games against the current top three.

I think Spurs will go into those three games as league leaders, or very close to it.

BELIEVE

I can’t lie , it was fun while it lasted - still reasonable expectations for this season were a top half finish , I just want to see us finish the season strong now, excited to see what next season brings, just remember it’s a marathon not a sprint!

Back
Top Bottom