Burn out.......

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'd like to compare that to one of the same period of last season. Plus 17 players have started 12 games or more, they can't all play at once.
Not quite the same thing, but here is a comparison with last season's stats. The three key columns are the ones labeled "%age". That's how many minutes of the available minutes total a player has played. Spurs have played 35 matches so far, Vertonghen has appeared in 31, averaging 87 minutes per appearance. Hence, he has played about 85% of all available Spurs minutes this season. Last year we played 54 matches, so the calculations are based on that. The final column, "%age diff." is the difference of the two. As we can see, Lennon has played a larger proportion of available minutes this year than last, as has Sandro, Defoe, Huddlestone, and others. On the other hand, Walker and Bale have been used more or less as last year.

More than anything, though, it shows how much injury determines who is in the team. Lennon's, Sandro's, and Hudd's boosts are all because of injury (Sandro's because of injury to Parker). And so on.
Eukxj3E.png

Edit: This should put to bed the lie spread on The Spurs Show that AVB keeps subbing out Lennon. He has averaged 85 mins / appearance this season as opposed to 67 / under Harry.

I also just realised that the signs on the final column don't make sense... The premise was "who was overused last year but not this year?", meaning I was more interested in the players who have gobbled up a larger percentage of available minutes this year than last year. So just consider it sorted that way…

Well he rotated on Saturday, and some didn't like it.

I think he's rotated quited a bit, so I can't agree with the OP.

both main goalkeepers have played a lot of games

the back 4 has been a back 8

defoe dempsey and ade have shared the striker's burden.

parker sandro and dembele have shared the '2 CMs role'

Nobody's played all the games, and our current rich vein of form suggests there's no burn out at all.

One telling stat though, four of our biggest players from last season, Adebayor, BAE, Kaboul and Parker played a combined 154 games. This season they have only played 38.

One telling stat though, four of our biggest players from last season, Adebayor, BAE, Kaboul and Parker played a combined 154 games. This season they have only played 38.
What do you mean by telling? The main telling thing is that most of them have been injured for the majority of the season and unavailable to play surely?

So it's kind of hard to talk about burn out when we've had to do without some of last seasons stars, most of whom are now entering the business end of the season fresh as daisies.

So it's kind of hard to talk about burn out when we've had to do without some of last seasons stars, most of whom are now entering the business end of the season fresh as daisies.
I'd call that pertinent rather than telling though... But I agree. Saying it is telling intones that AVB doesn't rate them in the same way that Harry did. Semantics I guess.

We have a pretty good squad Bale, Lennon and Dembele are the 3 to worry about, they are key players and we have no one else in the squad that can play at their level in the given position.

Bale has had a few games off with injury/suspension but still one to worry about. 12 games + Europa (9 games if we reach the final) to go!

AVB has been 'lucky' in that he hasn't really had to rotate as injuries have forced his hand somewhat. When Kaboul returns and with BAE back he has greater options, furthermore when Defoe returns - then we'll see whether he feels the need to revert back to Defoe and Adebayor, and if so, does that mean Parker being dropped or Holtby? Will Dawson becomes third choice and Caulker fourth or visa-versa....but either way, injuries have impeded but perversely helped AVB this season.

AVB has been 'lucky' in that he hasn't really had to rotate as injuries have forced his hand somewhat. When Kaboul returns and with BAE back he has greater options, furthermore when Defoe returns - then we'll see whether he feels the need to revert back to Defoe and Adebayor, and if so, does that mean Parker being dropped or Holtby? Will Dawson becomes third choice and Caulker fourth or visa-versa....but either way, injuries have impeded but perversely helped AVB this season.
Lucky fucker getting so many long term injuries to first team players. Fergie wakes up every morning hoping RVP has done his hamstring overnight. :ossie:

Back
Top Bottom