Best formation

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I suggest using the terms 3-4-3 and 3-5-2 as opposed to 5-2-3 and 5-3-2.

The latter two imply that the wing back is more of a defensive role. If we played an actual 5-3-2, it would be pretty hideous. We’d have almost no attacking width and isolated forwards. Assuming one of the midfielders is the 3rd man forward, Who’s the 4th? Another midfielder?

In reality, it’s a 3-5-2 and your wing backs are many times your 3rd-4th most forward player. So basically just call it a 3-5-2.
Kind of agree. 523 just isn't a thing, we are a 343 in possession (mostly) and we go into a 541 shape without the ball. You will hardly see us with a line of 5, then 2 and then 3.

Edit to add that formation is more rigid without the ball than with it. Given how we play a lot without the ball, you could argue we are a 541 team.

Not a knock against Emerson or Sessegnon but if we play 352 then we have to play Perisic with Doherty/Spence. No reason to not to have the most attacking wing backs with 3 in midfield.
It’s tough to choose between 343 and 352, I would like more control in midfield but it’s also good to have 3 genuine goal threats on the pitch.
I think Kulu on the right makes more sense in a five. Him and Peresic can cross balls in all day long.

The best formation is whatever Conte thinks it is at any given moment, be that before the game or by changing things up during a game, either to correct something he's seen or to adapt to the changes that the opponent has made.

Surely it's obvious that there isn't a one-size-fits all shape, not least because it would make us very easy to play against if you know it'll never alter, come what may.

Injuries and late travel for International players will come into selection process for Woolwich match but Conte is very stubborn and I expect will continue starting with 2 in midfield only changing when it is not going well.

I was a great admirer of Venables who used to switch regularly from 3 at the back to 4. If a formation is not working change it mid match. Keep the opposition guessing how you are going to play rather than I will play it my way whatever. That is MC's downfall against us in that they continue to play their system although we have worked how to beat it.

Not sure how I can argue that 343 isn't our best formation.

We went on a fantastic run with that formation that saw us overtake our biggest rivals to finish top four whilst also only having 2 points less than Man City over the same time frame. It's also the formation that's seen us go unbeaten in the Premier League, make our best ever start to a Premier League season and score the second most goals behind Man City in the Premier League since Conte took over.

Now on occasion, we've played 352, whether from the start of games or switching up during games and we've looked relatively good. But it's a small sample size for me to really call it our best formation.

I think 352 would end up getting the best out of Son and Richarlison as strikers alongside Kane. I think both of their strengths lay in playing central. But then the biggest loss is the lack of Kulusevski in our team, who's arguably our most creative player. He could play in a #10 and more central, but that'd be more 3412 than a 352 and leaves us with what some perceive the same issues of having just two central midfielders unless Kulusevski drops even deeper.

Got some time to kill here so thought I would throw out a long winded post. We‘ve had an extremely good start to the season and if you had told me at the beginning we’d be 6-2-1 after 9 games, I’d have chewed your hand off. This despite not playing to the best of our capabilities. I think as the season progresses, our new players will get bedded into the system more, specifically Bissouma and Spence, Skip will get back into the fold, and Son is now off the mark and you know what he’s like. Nevertheless, there seems to be a clear room for improvement and I think a lot of it has to do with formation. Conte, for the most part, seems to stick with the 5-2-3 formation no matter what’s going on in the field whereas I think we need to get more adept at switching it up when the time calls for it. Some suggestions:

5-3-2: To be used against possession based teams who typically overrun us in midfield
[FORMATION=532,Lloris,Emerson,Romero,Dier,Lenglet,Perisic,PEH,Bissouma,Bentacur,Kane,Son][/FORMATION]

4-3-3: To be used against teams where we are man for man better
[FORMATION=433,Lloris,Emerson,Romero,Dier,Perisic,PEH,Bissouma,Bentacur,Kulu,Kane,Son][/FORMATION]

4-2-1-3: To be used when we need a goal
[FORMATION=4213,Lloris,Emerson,Romero,Dier,Perisic,PEH,Bentacur,Kane,Kulu,Richy,Son][/FORMATION]
would like to see that last option but with lenglet instead of dier. that would be good against bottom half sides who park the bus

Not sure how I can argue that 343 isn't our best formation.

We went on a fantastic run with that formation that saw us overtake our biggest rivals to finish top four whilst also only having 2 points less than Man City over the same time frame. It's also the formation that's seen us go unbeaten in the Premier League, make our best ever start to a Premier League season and score the second most goals behind Man City in the Premier League since Conte took over.

Now on occasion, we've played 352, whether from the start of games or switching up during games and we've looked relatively good. But it's a small sample size for me to really call it our best formation.

I think 352 would end up getting the best out of Son and Richarlison as strikers alongside Kane. I think both of their strengths lay in playing central. But then the biggest loss is the lack of Kulusevski in our team, who's arguably our most creative player. He could play in a #10 and more central, but that'd be more 3412 than a 352 and leaves us with what some perceive the same issues of having just two central midfielders unless Kulusevski drops even deeper.

Agree. If you play 3-5-2 I think you want two guys up top who can run on the counter. That is not really what Kane does.

This begs the question- if you have a player like Kane, why would you want to limit yourself to playing on the counter?

For me though, Kulu at LW is too good to leave out in a 3-4-3. Add to this our set pieces look very dangerous all of a sudden, which is aided greatly by having an extra CB target in the box. All of this perfectly suits a 3-4-3.

If we can just figure out how to get some productivity at RWB we will be absolutely ripping teams on the regular soon. 6-2 will have been just the start...

I would like to see the below. Overload the left side with players that can put the ball (either cross, pass or through ball) and Have players on the right that can get on get on the end and finish, with Son offering runs in the channel, front post runs and even dropping back and late runs into the box from right side of centre.

Deki played that role for Atlanta youth, so it isn't going to be completely foreign to him.

--------------------------------Lloris
--------------------Romero -- Dier -- Lenglet
Doherty -- Bentancur -- Bissouma -- Deki -- Perisic
---------------------------Kane -- Son

So What Lol GIF by Tennis TV

3-5-2 if we are expecting to be playing on the counter 3-4-3 against teams we should be expecting to beat.

3-5-2 if we press high and control the midfield like we did second half against Leicester and other games we used it we spring forward with Son and Kane very fast and effective but against teams that sit back can have all the ball we want we will struggle to break teams who ain't open down.

You surrender the ball in the 3-4-3 and get outnumbered in that midfield but the creative force with the 3 upfront espically with Kulu playing lets us make the most of itwhen we have the ball. And the 2 in midfield are basically there to cover holes when the wingbacks bomb up

The issue in both is the lack of creativity from midfield and RWB with Emerson. Don't wanna keep digging him out but in both you need your wingbacks to be a creative force or at least the threat of it. And he really isn't that.

And the midfield although PEH has at times played higher-up this season he's hardly a creative force. So in the 3-4-3 your depending on your front 3 to be on song and there's little other then them in midfield and the wingbacks bar Perasic to help at times.

Hopefully see us swap between them both throughout the season and in the next 2 windows we need to upgrade those 2 weak spots to be a competitive team at the very top. EG winning league titles and serious stab at CL

Back
Top Bottom