Best formation

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Got some time to kill here so thought I would throw out a long winded post. We‘ve had an extremely good start to the season and if you had told me at the beginning we’d be 6-2-1 after 9 games, I’d have chewed your hand off. This despite not playing to the best of our capabilities. I think as the season progresses, our new players will get bedded into the system more, specifically Bissouma and Spence, Skip will get back into the fold, and Son is now off the mark and you know what he’s like. Nevertheless, there seems to be a clear room for improvement and I think a lot of it has to do with formation. Conte, for the most part, seems to stick with the 5-2-3 formation no matter what’s going on in the field whereas I think we need to get more adept at switching it up when the time calls for it. Some suggestions:

5-3-2: To be used against possession based teams who typically overrun us in midfield
[FORMATION=532,Lloris,Emerson,Romero,Dier,Lenglet,Perisic,PEH,Bissouma,Bentacur,Kane,Son][/FORMATION]

4-3-3: To be used against teams where we are man for man better
[FORMATION=433,Lloris,Emerson,Romero,Dier,Perisic,PEH,Bissouma,Bentacur,Kulu,Kane,Son][/FORMATION]

4-2-1-3: To be used when we need a goal
[FORMATION=4213,Lloris,Emerson,Romero,Dier,Perisic,PEH,Bentacur,Kane,Kulu,Richy,Son][/FORMATION]

That 5-3-2 is horrendous and reminds me of Jose’s 8-2-0 formation. Possibly DIFFERENT with Kulu in the MF 3 and Spence RWB so there are legs to join the front 2 and turn it into a 6-4 or 5-5 when attacking

Personally love 352 because it enables us to control the middle.

Lloris
Romero Dier Davies/Lenglet
RWB Bentancur Bissouma Hojbjerg Perisic
Son Kane

For me this is my favourite team we could put out.

I'm thinking that in a 3-5-2 that Skipp would be better than Højbjerg. And Spence or Doherty better than Royal. Or keep PEH and Bentancour and try Kulusevski as the attacking midfielder in a triangle (or 10)

That 5-3-2 is horrendous and reminds me of Jose’s 8-2-0 formation. Possibly DIFFERENT with Kulu in the MF 3 and Spence RWB so there are legs to join the front 2 and turn it into a 6-4 or 5-5 when attacking
so horrendous we outplayed an in form liverpool, an in form leicester and an out of form Leicester using it.

Not a knock against Emerson or Sessegnon but if we play 352 then we have to play Perisic with Doherty/Spence. No reason to not to have the most attacking wing backs with 3 in midfield.
It’s tough to choose between 343 and 352, I would like more control in midfield but it’s also good to have 3 genuine goal threats on the pitch.

I think 343 will mostly work, it has done so far and Conte doesn't seem like someone who changes unless he really has to. But I do like us in the 352 whenever I have seen it, and I honestly think it suits Son and Kane more to work as a pair, with Son having to track back a bit less.

I think people are getting slightly carried away due to a good 25 minute spell vs Leicester.

3-5-2 with Hojbjerg Bentancur Bissouma is not creative enough.

I think Kuluveski is one of our best creators, and he should start at his preferred position of RW. Conte likes the 343, so I trust him on that one.
Also think Bissouma is better than Hojbjerg and will help us control more games even with 2 in midfield.

I suggest using the terms 3-4-3 and 3-5-2 as opposed to 5-2-3 and 5-3-2.

The latter two imply that the wing back is more of a defensive role. If we played an actual 5-3-2, it would be pretty hideous. We’d have almost no attacking width and isolated forwards. Assuming one of the midfielders is the 3rd man forward, Who’s the 4th? Another midfielder?

In reality, it’s a 3-5-2 and your wing backs are many times your 3rd-4th most forward player. So basically just call it a 3-5-2.

as a formation I like 3 at the back I used to run all my teams with 3 CB's (think it suits Dier)
I want Perisic playing as WB (think he has given us something extra this season)
I lkie 3 CM's feel you need to win that battle to look like a team to be feared
so for me its 3-5-2 or 3-3-2-2 with the 2 being wide players (WB)

People need to stop masturbating over the 5-3-2 imo. It’s going to work when we’ll have at least a world class CM who is a constant goal threat and two attacking wingbacks. Maybe Perisic can do the job but I am not sure if he will cope with it in the long run. Next year with Udogie and Spence, add a proper CM like SMS and another solid CB, we can move to 3-5-2.

Problem with all this is that Contes reputation is built on a solid and consistent formation, that has won him many trophies. Be amazed if we see much plan B, let alone C,D and E

Other than that 3-5-2 easily our best fit.

We all agree that Kula has to play so either he settles at RWB of in the middle. But I differ in that I think PEH is perfetly ok at the front of a mf 3.

Sadly I think it will take a couple of really bad defeats with a 3-4-3 before Conte changes to this.

So it's 3-5-2 with Kulu as a 10 or 3-4-3 with Kulu as a RW? That seems a little arbitrary except for pushing him more centrally. I don't think that really solves any of our midfield control issues because he's going to be playing closer to the two strikers than the two midfielders. I think having the option for a 3-5-2 with 3 true midfielders could be nice but would be matchup/scenario-dependent because we certainly lose creativity. I don't think we'll see us frequently switching to back 4 unless we are really chasing a game or injuries demand it. Ultimately, Conte knows better than any of us.

Back
Top Bottom