Away fans in Paxton last night

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was sat in Block 56 of the North Upper last night and there were a good few rows of Benfica fans sat behind me and my friend and they were being fairly noisy considering their location.

There was a huge amount of shouting and complaining at the stewards, which I feel was justified to a degree. We're sat in the home section to support the home team, not have a bunch of obnoxiously loud away fans sat within earshot.

Naturally, some of the more meat-headed thick twats took exception to these away fans and were promptly ejected by THFC stewards. Unfortunately there was one particular mouth-breather directly in front of me who spent 75% of the match stood up telling those away fans to "Fuck off you fucking mugs. Get out. STEWARD, GET THOSE CUNTS OUT". He looked like the sort of utterly pig-ignorant waste of oxygen that would drink 8 cans of Stella on the way home and brick his wife. He even commented on how he didn't understand what they were singing but it wasn't "fucking english". But that's besides the point.

I overheard a steward saying that Spurs sold them those seats to fill any empty space. Surely that isn't right? Sticking boisterous European away fans in the home end where they are inevitably going to antagonise the more thuggish types sat around them and as a knock on, ruin the match for many other fans? Madness.

They seemed to be everywhere - quite a few around me in the East Upper.

One of them jumped up when they scored their first and my mate grabbed his hoodie and told him to sit down. For some reason one Spurs fan in particular had a massive problem with this and was having a go for the next few minutes and then at half time as well.

Bale Force Bale Force

is this a serious complaint?

sure from where i was watching on the tv is looked like they sold them more than their allocation but fuck mate the atmosphere is what footballs about..

seems the fucking mug you were near should have spent more time creating the home atmosphere than trying to get the stewards to kick people out..

FFS benfica away mugged us off in our own stadium...we should be fucking embaressed..

Quite a few in the Paxton lower. One got thrown out after the first goal - he was chanting 'Benfica' before kick off (half heartedly).

Couple in the east lower started waving their flags and standing up in the second half, but were allowed to stay. No consistency.

Price the game accordingly and you'll fill it with Spurs fans. Pay £35-40 for that and many people won't go back next time.

FFS benfica away mugged us off in our own stadium...we should be fucking embaressed..

This happens every single home game to every single home team in the league. Bar maybe Palace.

The flares and smoke bombs, the chanting and the bouncing were lovely though. Fair play to Benfica.

After we scored was the loudest I've heard the Lane in a while. Didn't last long, but still.

Bale Force Bale Force
sure from where i was watching on the tv is looked like they sold them more than their allocation but fuck mate the atmosphere is what footballs about..

I'm all for that mate, but I don't agree with mixing away fans into the home sections. It's only going to antagonise people and cause issues. If you want to have banter with away fans, sit near them in Park Lane.

More to the point, why were these tickets not sold to Spurs fans at a discount if they needed selling?

Oh wait. Discount? LOL :levyeyes:

I'm all for that mate, but I don't agree with mixing away fans into the home sections. It's only going to antagonise people and cause issues. If you want to have banter with away fans, sit near them in Park Lane.

More to the point, why were these tickets not sold to Spurs fans at a discount if they needed selling?

these are all valid points..
my only counter is that its hard for THFC or whoever else to determine who each fan goes for when they buy the ticket...
when i went to the lane as a kid an away fan wouldnt have dared sit in the home sections...

European sides know how to support their team with blind ferocity. Of that I am very jealous. Over here we are a bunch of "jolly good show" types who don't want to get too noisy.

It's the gentrification of football.

Fair play to the 1882 lot and Palace fans show the way - everything they've done was mocked as being artificial and too organised etc. But Christ, games in England need some livening.

I'd be pissed off if I saw spurs offering the seat next to me for a discount when I'd paid full price a week before.
and next Europe game, I'd maybe hold off buying incase they did it again.

blame sky sports mate..cunts

It's one factor - though I blame Sky Sports more for the fact everyone now seems to talk in stats.

Pricing is a huge issue - it's unaffordable for people to take kids in the main. You then miss out of a new generation of fans, who will only go when they can afford to in later life. In Germany (not a perfect league by any means), they put a focus on getting young fans into grounds. They're the club's future after all. Our whole model (and I say this for all the top sides in England) is based around tourists. People who'll come to a game, don't mind what they pay, hit up the club shop, buy a programme, make zero noise. That's why stubhub appeals.

This is a good read:
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/08/how-football-lost-touch-young-fans

there was one next to me what a fucking disgrace blah blah blah, sad cunt

It's not about moaning - they have as much right as anyone to attend a game.

But, firstly, why aren't the club ensuring ticket pricing that would fill the ground? Secondly, lower tickets presumably means more fans buy them before they go on general sale.

Back
Top Bottom