AVB'S BLUE & WHITE ARMY

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was just watching an old game of ours from 07/08 on ESPN classic and the Martin Jol's Blue and White Army chant made me all nostalgic, would be nice to see the Lane backing the manager in unison like that again.

We were on a shit run going into the game in question as well, nowadays instead of chanting the manager's name there'd be boos and cunts demanding he get the sack.

Depressing.

Why Do The Press Have It In For AVB?

Football365.com

You'd think it'd be hard not to like Andre Villas-Boas. Here's a successful, multilingual man who is charming, bright-eyed and intelligent. As a manager his methods are evolving and he's learning all the time. Already his achievements suggest in time he could become a great manager.

In interviews he is attentive, concise and doesn't employ waffle or obfuscation. Already in his career he is a European winner. Indeed, he couldn't be more different to the man he replaced at Tottenham, which is presumably what Daniel Levy liked him about. He has employed the anti-Redknapp and good on him for doing so.

Yet despite his obvious qualities, he is not universally liked. The fact his first name isn't Harry appears to have worked against him to a stupid, unjustifiable, but all too typical degree in the last two months. Just a couple of weeks ago, some in the Sunday papers were telling us he was a couple of games away from the sack after, what they quickly declared, was a poor start. The sort of football Spurs played in those couple of opening games was also criticised for not being what the fans had got used to under Harry, itself surely a dubious standard to employ given the disastrous last four months of last season. But no matter. AVB: bad; Harry: heroic victim - that was and still is their agenda, it would seem.

As only a couple of games had been played, to the rest of us, this attack seemed, to say the least, like a madness.
But from the moment he unexpectedly took the Spurs job, there seems to have been, in some press quarters, an agenda against him, just as there initially was against Roy Hodgson when he took the England job, likely from the same people and for the same reason.
These two men took what was seen as Harry's job.

For this sin, these men must pay. It is not and will not be forgiven. Critics pens are dipped in poison, forever poised to try and kill them both off. This must be the reason for the unjustifiable, unstinting attacks on him.
Sadly for these critics, on both these occasions, the public broadly rather liked these non-Harry men even despite being shamelessly told by a one-sided media that in fact they, we, us, everyone, all loved Harry and all wanted him to be England manager and to remain as Spurs manager if that wasn't possible. Didn't you get that memo?

The campaign against Hodgson, petered out quickly when it became apparent that the pro-Redknapp brigade had misjudged the public mood in giving him a kicking from the get go. They have since shut up - but they wait, still with the aim of installing their man, have no doubt of that. They are deluded but they want revenge.
Similarly, there had always been a significant proportion of Spurs fans who had doubted Redknapp's abilities beyond a certain point of achievement. They had not forgotten the second half of last season, which, if AVB should get anywhere near to emulating in its rubbishness will quickly lead to him getting the sort of severe critique Redknapp deserved but did not receive. Rather, his supporters actually blamed the FA for it. Anything to keep their man in the golden light of a blame-free existence.

So now it's the end of September, Villas-Boas is still in a job and for what it's worth, last year Harry's Spurs were 6th with nine points, this year, they're 5th with 11 having played one game more. They've scored more goals and let in less and they've just had a historic win at Old Trafford (imagine the heinous fawning if Redknapp had done this).

So, not too shabby. But as I say, the critics have a short tether and will strike again soon enough.
Some of this resistance to AVB's charms seems to have been formed in his nine months at Chelsea which is painted by critics as a rule of disastrous proportions.
There was the ridiculous business, perhaps significantly about another Redknapp relation, Frank Lampard. An appalling brown-nosing media sided with poor, poor Frankie who suffered the indignation of only starting the vast majority of games and not being loved-up to by his new manager. We were told Frank was written off - which he wasn't - mostly so he could then be puffed up as a hero when he scored a few goals and played for England. He's back, we were told, though most of us hadn't realised he'd even gone. All utterly ridiculous.

This is the same poor, poor Frank who was on the bench this weekend without the same wails of protest on his behalf. Funny that. But when AVB decided to occasionally leave him out, this was The End Of Frank and Frank was not happy and so his fan boys were not happy also and set about making trouble. His tormentor had to pay for this idiocy. Who was this silly little man anyway?

He was accused of being 'borderline Asperger's' by journalist, Ian McGarry, who, like a teenage boy with a crush, sometimes seemed to be holding Lampard's coat in this scrap.

So AVB was rubbish and possibly mental. That was the story. Having been tasked with upgrading Chelsea to a younger, more attacking version, and he tried to do just that. He didn't do everything perfectly but it was always going to be a bumpy ride. When Roman Abramovich bottled the project he was inevitably sacked. So it goes. It was all a bit weird.

Presumably, Levy understood this and so, unlike the press people who had spent so many months painting him as a slightly mad clueless idiot that they ended up believing their own hype, saw his qualities and decided he was an ideal man to take Tottenham forward and make them compete with the best.

The critics thought they'd seen AVB off. But here he was at White Hart Lane, squatting, quite literally, on their man's turf. The bloody cheek! There was nothing many in the press wanted more than for him to fail so they could declare that Levy was mad to let their man go and to re-establish poor poor Frankie's tormentor as a nut-job.

Ex-pros and journos queued up for a go at kicking AVB as soon as he didn't win the first games handsomely. They have totally manufactured a drama around the signing and deployment of Hugo Lloris - well documented by F365's Mediawatch for the past few weeks - in order, once again, to suggest that AVB is a loony who doesn't know what he's doing.

It's a concerted attempt to undermine and create doubt about him. Why? Do these people think that Levy will see the error of his ways and invite Redknapp back or is it just some perverse form of revenge on behalf of their man, just as their attacks on Hodgson seemed to be.
Thankfully, both the Spurs chairman and the FA see through this bias and have made their decisions based on more rational and less blinkered assessments.
The contrast to his predecessor is huge. Andre Villas-Boas is sharp, inspiring, interesting, charismatic and sexy. Spurs now have one of football's rising stars in charge; a man who is fizzing with ideas and energy. He excites.

We must all hope that this time his bosses give him the chance to succeed or fail on more reasonable terms and that his poisonous critics are made as redundant as the previous manager who is now in the Match Of The Day studio.

Great piece. Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing about the Lampard issue this weekend. I guess the difference is that they have still been picking up results without him, whereas they weren't playing too well last season.

F365 is definately our friend

TURMOIL!
There's only one place to start and that's with The Sun's Saturday exclusive headlined 'Spurs in turmoil' by Paul Jiggins. And yes, that is the same turmoil-addled Spurs side that went into the trip to Manchester United boasting a six-match unbeaten run in all competitions.

The Sun - who entirely coincidentally employ former Spurs manager Harry Redknapp as a columnist - claim that 'unhappy Tottenham stars held showdown talks with Andre Villas-Boas over his training and tactics' with AVB 'left reeling by the mutiny, which reportedly follows bust-ups with some of the club's old guard behind the scenes'.

Compare and contrast those reports of 'showdown talks' and 'mutiny' with Daniel Taylor's interview with Gareth Bale in The Guardian on Saturday in which the Welshman said of Villas-Boas: "He's very approachable. If there is a problem, or something we feel is not right, his door is open. He wants us to work that way: together, the players and staff, and if there is a problem we can always share our ideas with him and he will take it on board.

"For example, if we feel we are working too hard in training, if we say that to him, then he'll ease it off."

So, to sum up: Players talk to manager about training too hard, manager listens and makes changes = TURMOIL and MUTINY.

Or alternatively, as Brad Friedel tweeted on Saturday: 'Just people trying to stir. Sad really.'

Could be getting a new assistant to AVB....

Jose Mourinho says he will return to English football when his reign as Real Madrid manager ends, but the Portuguese insists he is happy at the Bernabeu.

While the ex-Chelsea boss is contracted to Real until 2016, he feels his next job will be back in the Premier League.

"I just say openly that, for many reasons, after this the next step will be England," the 49-year-old told CNN.

"When? I don't know, I don't have an idea. I'm so happy in this moment to be manager of the best club in the world."
The special one

Jose Mourinho has won the league title in every country he has managed - Portugal, England, Italy and Spain

Mourinho joined Real from Inter Milan in 2010 having guided the Italian club to their third European Cup triumph.

His side missed out on the Spanish league title to Barcelona in his first season but got the better of them a year later.

That meant Mourinho could add the La Liga crown to the two apiece he won with Inter (2008-10), Chelsea (2004-06) and Porto (2002-04).

He has been mentioned as a potential successor to Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United, but Mourinho says he would rather the Scot still be in charge at Old Trafford when he returns to Britain.

"The perfect scenario is when I go there he is still coach," said Mourinho. "Because football will lose a lot when he stops.

"For me, he is the boss. I call him the boss because he is the boss of the coaches and I hope when I go back to English football he is still manager of Manchester United."

Mourinho led Porto to Champions League glory before taking over at Chelsea, winning two league titles, an FA Cup and two League Cups.

He made a shock exit from Stamford Bridge in 2007 after his relationship with Blues owner Roman Abramovich grew troubled.

But when asked if he would consider working under the Russian at Chelsea again, Mourinho replied: "Of course, of course.

"It was a perfect example of a fantastic divorce. We are a lot in touch. We have a great relationship."

Gotta be Utd in a couple years surely?

Lister said:
YidoBuckler said:
jimmyriggle said:
Will be city. Maybe Liverpool.

Can't see him going to a mid table team to be honest.

City, being the richest club in the league, is much more his thing.

Almost a certainty IMHO.

it looks like Pep is gonna be the new manu manager, so i hope he moves to city so they can continue their soap opera - it will tear apart both clubs

So which bit of this managerial colossus' inspirational leadership are we supposed to be drawing such succour and comfort from?

This is a genuine question, as I have been supporting spurs since the 60's, so I have seen a few good managers, and I have seen some bloody awful ones, and as yet, I have not seen anything to convince me that the results we have achieved, are anything that we should expect as an absolute minimum, from the quality of the squad we have.

Where is this tactical genius, this gifted leadership that we have all been hyped to believe is on the way? So far we have been beaten by NUFC, who are below us and have looked nothing to boast about. We have beaten the two teams at the bottom of the league, failed to beat (at home) the 3rd from bottom team, and an obdurate but uninspiring WBA, who are probably 2 games away from collapse to their usual position.

In the last game - which now seems to have elevated our shining leader to some majestic god head, we managed to sneak 3 goals past one of the most dreadful Manure teams I can remember since they were relegated, before they bucked their ideas up and made us look like San Marino for the last 40 minutes.

I'm curious to know when we are going to see this tactical genius and man motivator extraordinaire make the team look like a real Tottenham team, full of flair, pomp and style. One of those teams that go out and beat the other lot - rather than waiting for them to die of boredom, like united finally did on sunday.

Or am I missing something important?

I am not on a wind up, and I really have been a dyed in the wool Spurs fan since the mid 60's so I know the Tottenham way - I have been watching it played for the last 4 years under a manager who was sacked for the golden child.

When is he going to deliver, or do we simply blindly support him for his fist pumping passion and sharp suits?

Well I'm sure VB would have won us a trophy by now should a final have happened, but seeing as we are still in the early rounds, I guess we'll just have to be patient.

Tommy Harmer said:
I know the Tottenham way - I have been watching it played for the last 4 years under a manager who was sacked for the golden child.

probably adds up to about 3 years considering that for two seasons in a row we seemed to stop bothering half way through. End of last season was far worse than anything we've seen so far.

Tommy Harmer said:
So which bit of this managerial colossus' inspirational leadership are we supposed to be drawing such succour and comfort from?

This is a genuine question, as I have been supporting spurs since the 60's, so I have seen a few good managers, and I have seen some bloody awful ones, and as yet, I have not seen anything to convince me that the results we have achieved, are anything that we should expect as an absolute minimum, from the quality of the squad we have.

Where is this tactical genius, this gifted leadership that we have all been hyped to believe is on the way? So far we have been beaten by NUFC, who are below us and have looked nothing to boast about. We have beaten the two teams at the bottom of the league, failed to beat (at home) the 3rd from bottom team, and an obdurate but uninspiring WBA, who are probably 2 games away from collapse to their usual position.

In the last game - which now seems to have elevated our shining leader to some majestic god head, we managed to sneak 3 goals past one of the most dreadful Manure teams I can remember since they were relegated, before they bucked their ideas up and made us look like San Marino for the last 40 minutes.

I'm curious to know when we are going to see this tactical genius and man motivator extraordinaire make the team look like a real Tottenham team, full of flair, pomp and style. One of those teams that go out and beat the other lot - rather than waiting for them to die of boredom, like united finally did on sunday.

Or am I missing something important?

I am not on a wind up, and I really have been a dyed in the wool Spurs fan since the mid 60's so I know the Tottenham way - I have been watching it played for the last 4 years under a manager who was sacked for the golden child.

When is he going to deliver, or do we simply blindly support him for his fist pumping passion and sharp suits?
Jesus.

One loss and unbeaten since the opening game, away from home. Beaten Man Utd away.

Get back under your bridge.

Tommy no disrespect but the fact you've supported Spurs since the sixties just means you're older than some other fans. I don't know why you state it twice, as if someone who isn't as old as you couldn't ask the same questions.

You think we haven't achieved the absolute minimum we should expect this season? And then cite Harry as an example of one of the managers who achieved at least the absolute minimum. Like when he lost at home to Norwich, for example. Much better than when AVB drew.

The loss to Newcastle. The only reason we didn't get a point was a moment of rashness from Rafa. Clearly AVB's fault.

You say United died of boredom at the weekend. So basically, because we couldn't repeat the first half dominance for the second half, we are Stoke. Funny, cos if good old Arry had overseen the exact same victory, I think you'd have seen it in glowing terms.

Just what has AVB done to make you so against him? Is it really, honestly, the fact we didn't beat Norwich and Albion? If so, surely you can't like Redknapp. Or any other Spurs manager. Or any other manager in the history of the game.

Maybe it's because you love Arry. Just maybe?

Yiddo_Dave said:
probably adds up to about 3 years considering that for two seasons in a row we seemed to stop bothering half way through. End of last season was far worse than anything we've seen so far.

Hahaha, spot on

Back
Top Bottom