AVB's Appraisal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With respect, mate - I stopped reading after that

If you are debating WHETHER to look at results when assesing a manager's prefromance - not sure how to take this any further.

Sure, there are many other aspects to throw into the mix but potentially mis-regarding his most important output is rather naive and a-contextual
[/quote]

I am not saying that there is a debate about looking at results I am debating whether it is fair to solely look at results against the Top 4.

They are two entirely different points.

No, not solely - but those need to be taken into consideration, imv - after all - those are our direct competitors in the PL - or at least have been for the last 4-5 years

No, not solely - but those need to be taken into consideration, imv - after all - those are our direct competitors in the PL - or at least have been for the last 4-5 years

But as I said we may have made up 5 points against top 4 sides over last season but those 5 points have been dropped elsewhere so it is perhaps misguided to isolate these results as crucial.

No one is isolating them - they would be considered alongside everything else - i.e. included in the entire assessment so to say

No one is isolating them - they would be considered alongside everything else - i.e. included in the entire assessment so to say

Which is fair enough, that is why I said perhaps because they should be considered with all the other results. We are on the same hymn sheet here just started from a different verse.

Complete mistranslation - even if he was leaving - would never say it 4 games before the end and jeopardise our season and most importantly - his CV

Shouldn't he be concentrating on us and not answering these questions at all then?

Although i admit its really easy to twist quotes to suit an agenda as we've seen in the past.

Remember the slaughtering 'Arry got last season for his lack off commitment?

#justsayin

Villas-Boas has always said that he would like to keep his managerial career short and also use it to travel the world to experience interesting places; for example, in South America. "Yes, definitely, Brazil … my feelings are the same," he said, before sparking a moment of alarm. "I would definitely move very, very soon to a club in a different league." It was later suggested that Villas-Boas confused the notions of "soon" and "one day" in his English language.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/apr/25/andre-villas-boas-spurs-real-madrid

:avbcringe:

Although you can't help reacting to things that get quoted in the media, we all know to take it with a big sack of salt. I was always pretty keen on Arry despite the things he would say, but at the end his "lack of commitment" was manifested very tangibly, and disastrously, on the pitch. AVB saying he'd like to manage in Brazil or wherever is one thing, if results nosedived while he was clearly sniffing round another job, it would be something else.

At least Villas Boas has the potential to be around for a while even if he doesn't have the desire to, his predecessor was not only trying to leave to go to England but at any point could have been banged up or taken ill.....

I've been pleased, particularly after an element of our fan base almost created a self fulfilling prophecy by giving him a load of shit within just a couple of games.

Wherever we finish, he's kept us at the level we were at the season before, which is as much as you can ask for in a first season where we lost three very talented players (inc. ledley) have had long injuries to a couple more and the chairman didn't throw billions of pounds at him.

This transfer window will be intriguing. I think he's earnt the right to go out and break pir transfer record to bring in the striker he feels we need to push for the title.

If we finish third he gets 9/10. Fourth or below, 8/10.

5/10 home
8/10 away

Spurs 1 - West Brom 1
Spurs 1 - Norwich 1
Spurs 0 - Wigan 1
Spurs 0 - Stoke 0
Spurs 0 - Fulham 1

Imagine if we had picked up 6, 9 or even 12 points from these?

:avbfacepalm:

AVB has done a fine job for me in his first year and has handled the transition from his failed effort at CFC rather impressively for me

There are just two things i just dont understand

His continual use of an average-at-best RB Naughton and playing him out of position LB which further compounds Naughton's average-at-best ability on the pitch

Parker and his automatic selection in the Starting 11. Clearly there are plenty of games where the opponent comes in, sits back and Parker does more harm then good. A very good CDM but an attack-killer with his circles and backpasses

Two of life's mysteries

Other then that, AVB is the man. #TiTS

In particular the game today - this formation and this opposition was literally screaming for the presence of Holtby, a far from perfect player yet, but one however who apart from constant fighting, pressing and hustling would be looking towards making that vertical through pass for Bale, Defoe & Dempsey all the bloody time.

Back
Top Bottom