AVB's Appraisal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pairsy1882

Super Jan's Nan
Despite the fact the season isn't yet over, I wanted to gauge your opinions.

- How effective has AVB been tactically?
- How successful has AVB been in taking us forward?
- How does his reign differ from Redknapp's? (Pos/Neg)
- How far can he take us?
- Are we happy with the appointment?
- Where next for Spurs and AVB?

I felt it best to do it prior to the end of the season so that he isn't judged on his league position but more on his performance as a manager.

Too premature. Plenty of opportunities between now and our last match, for AVB to show how he manages under extreme pressure. I would also posit that this is a results business and that AVB's appraisal has, to a significant degree, take into account where we finish.

Too premature. Plenty of opportunities between now and our last match, for AVB to show how he manages under extreme pressure. I would also posit that this is a results business and that AVB's appraisal has, to a significant degree, take into account where we finish.

Of course it is a results business but AVB is clearly a lot better than his results at Chelsea suggest. Therefore I think it is fair to get an appraisal before the season it out. If we don't finish in the Top 4 it may be through no fault of our own but people's opinion of AVB would plummet. We could be undone by a dodgy decision or freak goal, in which case AVB will have done no worse a job.

Started poorly, with 2 DMs against some seriously shit teams at home

We'd be cruising in 2nd or 3rd if he hadn't fucked up at the start

That said, he's turned us into a serious force away from home

And 4 points from United tells you all you need to know

He's quality fo sho

- How effective has AVB been tactically?
Has made mistakes but he has answered every mistake and we have improved because of it. Man City was a good example of a match we would not have won under Redknapp. AVB's changes won that game.

- How successful has AVB been in taking us forward?
I personally think if we had Redknapp in charge this season we would be below Liverpool so I would say AVB has been successful in taking us forward. With Harry in charge you could hear every post match interview "How do you expect to compete for the top 4 when you lose players like Modric and VDV"

- How does his reign differ from Redknapp's? (Pos/Neg)
Instead of sitting there cringing at Post Match interviews I just Climax

- How far can he take us?
If backed properly and we keep key players I think we can mount a challenge for the title.

- Are we happy with the appointment?
I still think there are doubters but for me that says more about them than AVB!

- Where next for Spurs and AVB?
Next season I would love a top 4 finish and a trophy

:freundgoal:

And 4 points from United tells you all you need to know

He's quality fo sho

Although I agree that taking four points off United is a massive achievement I don't think you can base an opinion on that entirely.

I am merely playing devil's advocated, as I am a big AVB admirer.

Although I agree that taking four points off United is a massive achievement I don't think you can base an opinion on that entirely.

I am merely playing devil's advocated, as I am a big AVB admirer.

He didn't base his opinion just on that - his post contained 5-6 sentences / points

It was just one of the points he took into consideration

He didn't base his opinion just on that - his post contained 5-6 sentences / points
It was just one of the points he took into consideration

I think it contained two other points which was that we would be doing a lot better had we not started the season playing two DMs. - A valid point which I totally agree with.

And second that we have become a force away from home. - Again a valid point which I agree with.

I was playing devil's advocate. As I quite clearly stated. I was simply asking whether it is wise to use our results against Man United as a basis for forming an opinion on AVB.

I was playing devil's advocate. As I quite clearly stated. I was simply asking whether it is wise to use our results against Man United as a basis for forming an opinion on AVB.

Do you think we should take into consideration our results (against Top 4 sides especially) when assessing his managerial performance?

Do you think we should take into consideration our results (against Top 4 sides especially) when assessing his managerial performance?

Perhaps it is worth considering. In which case, we first have to establish who are the Top 4? We are arguably a Top 4 side so do we only look at results against three teams?

Lets say we look at results against Chelsea, Man City, Man United and Woolwich. Have we seen a marked improvement against those sides under AVB?

Remember the slaughtering 'Arry got last season for his lack off commitment?

'I would one day like to take my career off the beaten track, I would definitely like to do that. Brazil, maybe.
'I would definitely move very, very soon to a club in a different league. I've always said I want to keep my managerial career short and that is still the case.'

#justsayin

Perhaps it is worth considering. In which case, we first have to establish who are the Top 4? We are arguably a Top 4 side so do we only look at results against three teams?

Lets say we look at results against Chelsea, Man City, Man United and Woolwich. Have we seen a marked improvement against those sides under AVB?
If we beat chelsea away, then hell yes we have improved. We were quite unlucky not to beat chelsea at home when we were missing a few key players

Cant really argue one way or the other after one season. The first season should be judged on where we finish and how many points we pick up. After next season is when you can start to see if things are changing against the big boys.

Remember the slaughtering 'Arry got last season for his lack off commitment?

#justsayin

Complete mistranslation - even if he was leaving - would never say it 4 games before the end and jeopardise our season and most importantly - his CV

If we beat chelsea away, then hell yes we have improved. We were quite unlucky not to beat chelsea at home when we were missing a few key players

I agree I think we have taken 10 points of those four clubs so far this season, rising to a possible 13.

Last season we took just 5 points so our performance against the so called Top 4 has improved.

However that begs the question what happened to the five points we should've made up...

Perhaps it is worth considering.

With respect, mate - I stopped reading after that

If you are debating WHETHER to look at results when assesing a manager's prefromance - not sure how to take this any further.

Sure, there are many other aspects to throw into the mix but potentially mis-regarding his most important output is rather naive and a-contextual[/quote]

Back
Top Bottom