AVB on Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Il Possente Tottenham

Forza Tottenham
Currently it seems like Harry Kane may be on his way out for another loan spell with the club. What seems apparent and encouraging is that he is taking his time over the process, seeing what loan would be best for the personal development of Kane. Personally I think it is great to see AVB seriously considering where players can go to become better developed, rather than loan spells for the sake of it like I feel a lot of managers do. He was quoted saying: 'We can’t have a loan situation that does not work for him, like the ones that we have had before.'

http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/t...xt_step_in_harry_kane_s_development_1_2913102

Good to see, and that was definitely a plus of getting AVB in instead of Harry. For his youth development.

COYS

Currently it seems like Harry Kane may be on his way out for another loan spell with the club. What seems apparent and encouraging is that he is taking his time over the process, seeing what loan would be best for the personal development of Kane. Personally I think it is great to see AVB seriously considering where players can go to become better developed, rather than loan spells for the sake of it like I feel a lot of managers do. He was quoted saying: 'We can’t have a loan situation that does not work for him, like the ones that we have had before.'

http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/t...xt_step_in_harry_kane_s_development_1_2913102

Good to see, and that was definitely a plus of getting AVB in instead of Harry. For his youth development.

COYS

Mmmm, don't know if I agree with this. AVB is historically very iffy on youth development. Some hits, some very big misses. In the former camp you obviously have types like Townsend- but in the latter you have Sturridge, Lukaku, Caulker and Tommy Carroll (who hasn't been used or loaned properly under AVB yet IMO)- all misused, underappreciated or just plain didn't see eye to eye with him. There were a lot of negative accounts coming from the Chelsea youth squad generally after he left claiming he was very aloof and uninterested in their development, and I've heard rumours (and I must stress that these are rumours) that some Academy players at Spurs felt likewise last season.

As a matter of fact, to quote the man most ideally-placed to speak on the subject, @ WindyCOYS WindyCOYS (whose view on this I thoroughly agree with):

Beyond the occasional game for Carroll/Kane/Fryers in the cup competitions, and the inclusion of 22-year old Townsend in the first team this season, there has not been a particular focus on young players being involved, despite there being a lot of talent bubbling under the surface. With Levy having been one of the fiercest advocates of increasing the substitute options from five to seven players, I’d expect to at least have a few young players on the bench for the Europa League games – if not just for the experience of being involved, but to potentially bring on when we’re winning games easily.

The likes of Veljkovic and Bentaleb could have been given a taste of first team football to keep them interested and hungry; including them in squads and giving them 10 or 15 minutes exposure here or there could work wonders and offer an incentive to other young players. Not using and then selling the talented Massimo Luongo baffled me too – I can’t help but think we’ll live to regret that to some extent, and I just hope we have a sell-on percentage agreed.

THAT SAID it does seem like he might be slowly starting to turn the corner now though, with Townsend and Bentaleb signing up to new deals and this news about Kane. So fingers crossed that VB can help us to continue to establish a good solid homegrown basis for the club (which IMO actually builds some fairly good groundwork left by Harry- Walker, Townsend etc.).

I think he might benefit from going somewhere like Norwich (I assume Hughton knows him well?) although maybe a relegation scrap is not really the experience AVB wants his youngsters to have to go through... poor little dears!
OR it might be the making of him!
I wouldn't be surprised if he went to a top 6 Championship side... though Queens Park RangeHotspurs can't fit any more of ours in now, can they?

I think he might benefit from going somewhere like Norwich (I assume Hughton knows him well?) although maybe a relegation scrap is not really the experience AVB wants his youngsters to have to go through... poor little dears!
OR it might be the making of him!
I wouldn't be surprised if he went to a top 6 Championship side... though Queens Park RangeHotspurs can't fit any more of ours in now, can they?

Kane has already been on loan at Norwich, but I take the point about blooding him around other young English players who try and play a bit.

The problem with Kane is he has always, either by ourselves or loanee clubs, been used as a conventional number 9. I shared the widespread consensus he was pony until the Villa game where he played off JD.

Do people still think he is going to "make it" at Spurs?

I reckon his career will be in League 1, Championship at best.

Happy to be proved wrong of course, but i just don't see a Premier League player there.

Kane has already been on loan at Norwich, but I take the point about blooding him around other young English players who try and play a bit.

The problem with Kane is he has always, either by ourselves or loanee clubs, been used as a conventional number 9. I shared the widespread consensus he was pony until the Villa game where he played off JD.

This is the biggest problem he's faced in his career. He's one of those difficult-to-define, "9 and a half" (ugh) second strikers in the Sheringham mold, best used behind a conventional striker or playing in from wider areas. His development has been stunted by a succession of managers not quite using him in his preferred role- his potential was best demonstrated, as you stay, when AVB played him off the striker against Villa.

@ Erik_Edman Erik_Edman yeah, possibly I am reading too much into this and jumping into conclusions, however in AVB I do see a manager who is really trying to promote the youth. I have read reports from people who have gone to U-21 games and there is a clear incentive to have the youth playing a style of football that AVB wants played so that they fit in easily into the main squad.

@ 1882 1882 I partially agree however if you remember he was loaned out to Norwich last season and it did not pay off at all as they didnt play him once. I think maybe Hull would be good as he would fit in well with Bruce's playing style, however I am not sure if you are allowed to loan out more than one PL player to another team in the PL?

Do people still think he is going to "make it" at Spurs?

I reckon his career will be in League 1, Championship at best.

Happy to be proved wrong of course, but i just don't see a Premier League player there.

Even if he wont make it, I would like to see Spurs try and develop him as much as they can so that we could sell him on for an improved fee. Plus I like home-grown players making something out of themselves. Would much rather see his career go places at another club than a striker like Adebayor.

@ Erik_Edman Erik_Edman yeah, possibly I am reading too much into this and jumping into conclusions, however in AVB I do see a manager who is really trying to promote the youth. I have read reports from people who have gone to U-21 games and there is a clear incentive to have the youth playing a style of football that AVB wants played so that they fit in easily into the main squad.

@ 1882 1882 I partially agree however if you remember he was loaned out to Norwich last season and it did not pay off at all as they didnt play him once. I think maybe Hull would be good as he would fit in well with Bruce's playing style, however I am not sure if you are allowed to loan out more than one PL player to another team in the PL?
IIRC injury was the main reason the Norwich loan went so tits up. Holt's form at the time probably contributed too - tying in with the misuse of him as a target man.

IIRC injury was the main reason the Norwich loan went so tits up. Holt's form at the time probably contributed too - tying in with the misuse of him as a target man.

The injury did play some part, but the form of Holt definitely didn't. Norwich where crying out for a striker last season as the midfield where carrying the rest of the team. I just don't think that Hughton rated him of a Norwich standard last season. VanWolskwinkle (sp) and Hooper will definitely keep him out of the team now!

Even if he wont make it, I would like to see Spurs try and develop him as much as they can so that we could sell him on for an improved fee. Plus I like home-grown players making something out of themselves. Would much rather see his career go places at another club than a striker like Adebayor.
This I can totally understand. Developing him to inflate his transfer fee is sensible.

As I understand it Caulker was sold for non footballing reasons.

Yes Caulker said something pretty stupid about Joe Lewis (which I can't really disclose) which effectively got him the sack. Ade and BAE have both done some pretty criminal things at the club (that I have read) which is why AVB wont give BAE a change, and wont give Ade a chance outside of Europa. They are as good as sold this time next year.

Send him abroad. Belgium, Holland etc.

They play some nice football in those leagues and he could develop. he will get no game time at any prem club and the championship will not develop him well for what we require.

Yes Caulker said something pretty stupid about Joe Lewis (which I can't really disclose) which effectively got him the sack. Ade and BAE have both done some pretty criminal things at the club (that I have read) which is why AVB wont give BAE a change, and wont give Ade a chance outside of Europa. They are as good as sold this time next year.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

Source for this? Doesn't need to be that concrete, just anything you've got

If they thought that of Townsend, they had never watched him play.

Come on, lets not have this. If he was that good at the time he wouldnt of been shipped out to various other clubs. Its called developement, he was a league one / championship player at the time and has now progressed into a premiership player.

The same can happen for a younger Harry Kane.

he will get no game time at any prem club

Palace and Hull wouldnt mind him. Infact, I know Hull actually came in for him before the season started and when the loan window opened. So, its surprising to see the club are willing to let him go now on loan. Maybe its because Ade has grown up a bit?

Back
Top Bottom