Aston Villa vs Tottenham Hotspur (26 dec 2012)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Gallas had a pretty sub-par game ........

Limited chances for AV and Gallas seemed out of sorts on too many occasions........His mobility is a real detriment and Caulker or Dawson seem like the much smarter choice at this point.

Thought Gallas was solid. Didn't face a lot but handled everything well. I didn't see a problem. He's not our best CB but I think with our full squad healthy he's still worth 10-15 appearances. Caulker definitely needed a rest.

He scored those 3 goals from a centralized role...............that is my point.
No he didn't - he scored them from his role on the left wing. Just because he drifted inside and scored that position, it does not mean that he was playing in that position. Would he have had the space if he started there in the first place? Perhaps so, perhaps not.

I, for one, don't think he is intelligent or enough of a team player to operate in the middle.

Thought Gallas was solid. Didn't face a lot but handled everything well. I didn't see a problem. He's not our best CB but I think with our full squad healthy he's still worth 10-15 appearances. Caulker definitely needed a rest.

I don't see it..........I'm just never confident w/ Gallas in the starting 11. Ever

No he didn't - he scored them from his role on the left wing. Just because he drifted inside and scored that position, it does not mean that he was playing in that position. Would he have had the space if he started there in the first place? Perhaps so, perhaps not.

I, for one, don't think he is intelligent or enough of a team player to operate in the middle.

He scored all 3 goals b/c he drifted out of his starting position into the centralized position............If he sticks to his natural position, he isn't scoring any of those 3 goals . IMO

Again, i think he is very intelligent player......He has the technical ability to thrive in that role.

Apparently Steffan Freund was in the parking lot after the game singing with Spurs fans!

Love this guy

freund3.gif

He scored all 3 goals b/c he drifted out of his starting position into the centralized position............If he sticks to his natural position, he isn't scoring any of those 3 goals . IMO

Again, i think he is very intelligent player......He has the technical ability to thrive in that role.
Yeah, he doesn't score if he doesn't drift, but he doesn't arrive in that central position unmarked if he starts there. He has to have a chance to come in from the left, losing the right back.

We've seen him start centrally, or play centrally for a continued period. He doesn't move into threatening positions enough and gets marked out of the game.

I think this game is the perfect example of how we fail to break down teams who park the bus against us and then how great we are on the counter and opening up attacking teams. Just look at the first 45 minutes of today or the games against stoke or Swansea. We pressed and pressed the whole game but scored nothing from open play. We dont have that spark of creativity to break down such well organized teams.

Then look at the second half today after Villa opened up, or games against Man U or the woolwich game before Ade was sent off. We played amazing counter attacking football with Bale and Lennon on the wings and Defoe/Bale etc finishing off our chances. When we have space to operate and slip through balls to Defoe or others then we are one of the best in the league.

The only way I see us being able to unlock the bus parkers is with and addition in January because right now we're good at almost everything, we're just lacking the final ball.

Our defense has been amazing the last few games btw. :vert:

But by drifting in he lost his marker and thus had the chance to score the goals. If he starts in the middle, then there's a guy there who knows that Bale is his man to mark and he wouldn't have the space.

What works best is flexibility during the 90 minutes, as we saw today.

If everyone stuck to their natural position all the time then football would be a very boring sport. Yes he did drift inside to find space, but he was also good out wide with his wing play when he received the ball. Who do you think that we should put on the left hand side if Bale is in the middle?

Yeah, he doesn't score if he doesn't drift, but he doesn't arrive in that central position unmarked if he starts there. He has to have a chance to come in from the left, losing the right back.

We've seen him start centrally, or play centrally for a continued period. He doesn't move into threatening positions enough and gets marked out of the game.

He made his run on the first goal b/c he was in the middle.........not on the left. A big big difference when in possession and having space in front of you.

And his 2nd goal was clinical finish which is missed in the middle of the box.

... Bale has adapted enormously to a more inside role. Last year he was a bit hapless in the middle, but that was also because no player ever drifted out wide to drag a defender out of position, or to hold the width that was lost with Bale moving inside.

He's looking much better roaming around this season compared to last, and I'm not just saying that because of the hat trick.

... Bale has adapted enormously to a more inside role. Last year he was a bit hapless in the middle, but that was also because no player ever drifted out wide to drag a defender out of position, or to hold the width that was lost with Bale moving inside.

He's looking much better roaming around this season compared to last, and I'm not just saying that because of the hat trick.
That could also have something to do with Villas-Boas managing instead of Harry. There seems to be so much more movement up from with Ade especially going out wide more often. It has opened up a ton of space Bale to exploit like he did today. The players have said that AVB has emphasized tactics much more than Harry did and maybe its starting to pay off.

Back
Top Bottom