Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur - Sunday 10th March

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

"Amazed" isn't the word I'd use; but be well aware that Emre will realise that this is the biggest game of their season. Unless they choke this will be a fucking tough game.
It will be a tough game as is every game. If we are at it on Sunday we will win as I firmly believe we have better players in every position and come the end of the season I think the table will show that. There’s a long way to go still.

It's not helping us that at the moment we look as though we could contrive to concede a goal to an U-16 womens side down to 9 players...

Teams know that they can set out against us with absolutely no ambition to do anything pro-active and yet somehow they are guaranteed to get on the scoresheet. If they can somehow keep the resilience up for 90 minutes then they've a good chance of 3 points.

Thankfully it's been an age since we drew a blank. I also don't expect Villa to take that approach anyway, if we are on it then there are goals to be had...

The scary thing for me, is that we look even worse when a team does have a go at us.
Worse maybe isn't the right word, but any theory that a team who has a go will get battered is a bit of a wonky statement.

We scored early against Wolves away and they proceded to hammer us for 90 minutes and deserved their late win.
We raced into a 2 goal lead against Everton at home and then shit the bed, conceded, and got bullied off the ball relentlessly for the rest of the game. Brighton away :thumbdown:
We don't look great when teams are on us trying to win the ball back.

Second half

Screenshot-2024-03-06-at-12-10-08.png
Wasn't even mad at their one attempt. Brilliant strike by Eze.
Might have been had it ended 0-1 though.

People moaned we were shit and won under conte and mourinho

Why is no one moaning we look shit and win now?
Doing fuck all with the ball is as bad as doing fuck all without it.
There are plenty moaning but if you don’t think this season is better than anything under conte and mourinho then I can’t agree with you. We had so many exciting ends to games which would not have happened often under conte and mourinho.

And for the record we don’t look shit. We just don’t have the right players yet for this system to fully function but are seeing how it’s coming together. It wasn’t going to click within the first season. If it’s still the same as it is now and not up a level then by all means have a pop. We are well in front of where we thought we’d be.

You don't understand why a team who has won more games, scored more goals, conceded less goals, are above us in the league, and have won 10 of 13 home games may be the favourites here?
Yes but we've played half the season with half our first eleven missing who are now mostly back and we have better players than Villa in virtually every single position.
Also they are unlikely to park a bus against us at home, which is our Achilles heel.

I'm not saying we should disrespect them, they are a good side. But we shouldn't fear them.

We do CL football on the regular I don't think they have ever been in the rebranded CL have they?

Their nerves will start to kick in soon.

There are plenty moaning but if you don’t think this season is better than anything under conte and mourinho then I can’t agree with you. We had so many exciting ends to games which would not have happened often under conte and mourinho.

And for the record we don’t look shit. We just don’t have the right players yet for this system to fully function but are seeing how it’s coming together. It wasn’t going to click within the first season. If it’s still the same as it is now and not up a level then by all means have a pop. We are well in front of where we thought we’d be.
I don't really rate anything Mourinho did bar the 1-6 at Old Trafford. But his team was awful.
Were not at all boring in the 2nd half of Conte's 1st season, we were absolutely blowing teams apart and doing it from the first whistle. Nobody was bored in the stadium for that run into the champions league and the majority of fans were singing his name all match every match.
3-0 at home to Arse is one of the most complete performances I've seen in a long time and the atmosphere was utterly electric.

Given all the drama with people dying around him, he did an OK job until melting.
The most boring thing for me about his 2nd season was his utter lack of change. He just didn't want to try anyone different, but by all accounts that is what he is and it's well known.

I think much like our injury ravaged squad this year, we should cut him some slack for last season based on his and his close friends problems during that season.

Yes but we've played half the season with half our first eleven missing who are now mostly back and we have better players than Villa in virtually every single position.
Also they are unlikely to park a bus against us at home, which is our Achilles heel.

I'm not saying we should disrespect them, they are a good side. But we shouldn't fear them.

We do CL football on the regular I don't think they have ever been in the rebranded CL have they?

Their nerves will start to kick in soon.
Last season in the CL we barely beat Marseille away, lost to Milan away, lost to sporting away and drew with Frankfurt.
We didn't win an away game in Europe last season apart from the late late show against Marseille. We didn't even score in those other games.

In the season before we didn't even win an away game in the ropey Johnston paint trophy. We lost to feckin Pacos and Mura.

So not sure citing our experience in big games proves anything other than we don't win them away :roflmao:

Last season in the CL we barely beat Marseille away, lost to Milan away, lost to sporting away and drew with Frankfurt.
We didn't win an away game in Europe last season apart from the late late show against Marseille. We didn't even score in those other games.

In the season before we didn't even win an away game in the ropey Johnston paint trophy. We lost to feckin Pacos and Mura.

So not sure citing our experience in big games proves anything other than we don't win them away :roflmao:
The point is, we know how to qualify for the champions league.

What we do when we get there is beside the point.

Remember back when making top four was a distant dream and how hard it was to get over the line.

It's about levels.

Son hit the post in the 54th minute

2 shots in the first half
Including the Son one on the post, I count 2 before Palace scored in the 59th minute

So one hour of domination yeilded 4 shots.
That's fucking boring. I don't want to bore teams into submission. I want us to speed up and go for it.

This was before they scored. It's six shots.

Im sorry you were bored. I agree the first half needed to be better, quicker, more inventive. I believe we came out in the second half and did exactly that.

Screenshot-2024-03-06-at-14-43-13.png

I don't really rate anything Mourinho did bar the 1-6 at Old Trafford. But his team was awful.
Were not at all boring in the 2nd half of Conte's 1st season, we were absolutely blowing teams apart and doing it from the first whistle. Nobody was bored in the stadium for that run into the champions league and the majority of fans were singing his name all match every match.
3-0 at home to Arse is one of the most complete performances I've seen in a long time and the atmosphere was utterly electric.

Given all the drama with people dying around him, he did an OK job until melting.
The most boring thing for me about his 2nd season was his utter lack of change. He just didn't want to try anyone different, but by all accounts that is what he is and it's well known.

I think much like our injury ravaged squad this year, we should cut him some slack for last season based on his and his close friends problems during that season.
I wasn’t a conte hater mate,I just got bored with watching guys like Sonny,deki and Kane playing 60 yards from the opposing team’s goal. I hate that style of football and it’s what’s taking the game backwards. The players had no enjoyment and that was down to Conte. Training was a chore fore them too by all accounts.
Our players today seem happy,together and want to do well for this club and not just themselves. That’s something Ange has instilled by making the them not just better players but better men. Maybe you don’t feel it but I do especially in the stadium.

We didn't try to break them down.
I posted a pass map the other day proving we barely got into their box. It was dreadful.
We did try and we ultimately succeeded. I watched the game twice now. We really wasn't bad.

Frustrating but not bad and we went on to win easily

This was before they scored. It's six shots.

Im sorry you were bored. I agree the first half needed to be better, quicker, more inventive. I believe we came out in the second half and did exactly that.

Screenshot-2024-03-06-at-14-43-13.png
They couldn't have been particularly good chances if even the THFC media team didn't bother to mention them.

You don't have to apologise me about being bored.
I just want some fickle fans to acknowledge the fact we are very definitely not this swashbuckling gung ho attacking team they say were are. We were far more that way inclined under Jol and Redknapp and peak Poch.

At times this dross resembles AVB and the end of Poch to me.

We did try and we ultimately succeeded. I watched the game twice now. We really wasn't bad.

Frustrating but not bad and we went on to win easily
I know it's difficult, because results definitely change outlooks.
But take that performance, exactly as it was, but imagine those goals didn't go in.

Would you be walking away from the game happy with that performance? Feeling like they'd done absolutely everything to win and to entertain?
For me, until the later stages, it was a carbon copy of the Wolves game and everyone was pissed off at that one.

They couldn't have been particularly good chances if even the THFC media team didn't bother to mention them.

You don't have to apologise me about being bored.
I just want some fickle fans to acknowledge the fact we are very definitely not this swashbuckling gung ho attacking team they say were are. We were far more that way inclined under Jol and Redknapp and peak Poch.

At times this dross resembles AVB and the end of Poch to me.

Dude, Pochs team was booed off the pitch a couple of times in their first season and he struggled many many times to break down low blocks.

Even in our best season under him we beat palace 1-0 in both games needing an 80th min winner from Wanyama in the first and Eriksen in the second game.

Edit - here is the report from April 2017

"Tottenham kept up the pressure on Premier League leaders Chelsea as Christian Eriksen's superb long-range strike secured a hard-fought victory at Crystal Palace.

Spurs had struggled to break down a disciplined Palace side for much of the game and it looked like they would have to settle for a point.

But Eriksen fired into the bottom corner from 30 yards late on to keep Spurs within four points of Chelsea with five games remaining.

Palace, who lost influential defender Mamadou Sakho to injury in the second half, rarely threatened as they concentrated on frustrating the visitors."

Last edited:
I honestly don't feel we are playing well enough to get more than a draw. Hopefully we sneak it some how.

Hand on heart, I think we will lose because they will make less mistakes than us.

They've conceded 10 goals in the last 5 games inc. 2 against each of Luton (18th) & Forest (17th).

They have their own frailties fella.

Dude, Pochs team was booed off the pitch a couple of times in their first season and he struggled many many times to break down low blocks.

Even in our best season under him we beat palace 1-0 in both games needing an 80th min winner from Wanyama in the first and Eriksen in the second game.

Edit - here is the report from April 2017

"Tottenham kept up the pressure on Premier League leaders Chelsea as Christian Eriksen's superb long-range strike secured a hard-fought victory at Crystal Palace.

Spurs had struggled to break down a disciplined Palace side for much of the game and it looked like they would have to settle for a point.

But Eriksen fired into the bottom corner from 30 yards late on to keep Spurs within four points of Chelsea with five games remaining.

Palace, who lost influential defender Mamadou Sakho to injury in the second half, rarely threatened as they concentrated on frustrating the visitors."

How easy people just forget.

And that was Pochettino, Eriksen, Dele etc all at their peak.

Teams have struggled to break down 10 men behind the ball for decades. Why some people are surprised that we do is beyond me

During the 16/17 season that we all suck off, there were plenty of games where we struggled to break teams down. Most of the time we managed to do so because we were relentless (like we were against Palace) or we ended up getting an early goal, which of course opens the game up.

People either have ridiculous expectations, don't understand football or just moan for the sake of it.

Last edited:
How easy people just forget.

And that was Pochettino, Eriksen, Dele etc all at their peak.

Teams have struggled to break down 10 men behind the ball for decades. Why some people are surprised that we do is beyond me.

People either have ridiculous expectations, don't understand football or just moan for the sake of it.

It's easy to romanticise about the past. I remember that Palace game well. We weren't swashbuckling at all. It was an arduous game that we won through persistence.

The last 25 mins of last weeks game vs Palace was more entertaining than that entire game in April 2017

I know it's difficult, because results definitely change outlooks.
But take that performance, exactly as it was, but imagine those goals didn't go in.

Would you be walking away from the game happy with that performance? Feeling like they'd done absolutely everything to win and to entertain?
For me, until the later stages, it was a carbon copy of the Wolves game and everyone was pissed off at that one.
No i wasn't entirely happy but it's wasn't bad. We could and should have moved the ball around quicker though. We controlled the game from start to finish.

That's why I wouldn't want to change much in the starting 11 as we need to build on it. We've had too many changes all season it's partly why performances haven't been good because there has been no consistency.

Back
Top Bottom