Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur - Sunday 10th March

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree. We found a way to win the game but it’s not good enough for some. We can’t just go out and walk over teams and create loads of chances and win easily every week.
If we stuck with the starting 11 from that match, I'd bet my mortgage on us still having not scored if we were still playing now.

It took changes to wake up against Brighton. It took changes to wake up against Palace. It took changes to wake up against Brentford.

We need to start getting it right from the start.

Far from it. Was just as bad against West Ham, Wolves, Sheffield United, and I'm sure others.

We had 2 shots in 45 minutes. 1 on target.
We had 1 more shot than Palace despite the fact we didn't let them have the ball.
Let that sink in. I'm not even talking shots on target. Shots at all.
This is not because Palace formed some impenetrable barrier around their goal, and were blocking shots and chances with bravely and desire.
Oh no. They saw we got the ball and casually managed to jog back into formation and watch our 46th pass end up back with Vicario.

Go and watch it again. Watch he whole match, not the highlights. We showed absolutely no desire to get at them for at least an hour.
Yes but the way we keep passing and moving the ball means it might be shit for an hour then we get our break and smell blood and finish them off like Saturday and even Brentford.
It’s just the same if we got it wide and cross it every time into the box when we are in the final third. At some point the opposition switch off or it’s the perfect cross or finish. You’ve got to keep asking questions and they will buckle at some point.
On Saturday it was a bit boring but we got there in the end.

Far from it. Was just as bad against West Ham, Wolves, Sheffield United, and I'm sure others.

We had 2 shots in 45 minutes. 1 on target.
We had 1 more shot than Palace despite the fact we didn't let them have the ball.
Let that sink in. I'm not even talking shots on target. Shots at all.
This is not because Palace formed some impenetrable barrier around their goal, and were blocking shots and chances with bravely and desire.
Oh no. They saw we got the ball and casually managed to jog back into formation and watch our 46th pass end up back with Vicario.

Go and watch it again. Watch he whole match, not the highlights. We showed absolutely no desire to get at them for at least an hour.

We created multiple chances in the second half before they scored - pretty sure Son hit the post?

Yes but the way we keep passing and moving the ball means it might be shit for an hour then we get our break and smell blood and finish them off like Saturday and even Brentford.
It’s just the same if we got it wide and cross it every time into the box when we are in the final third. At some point the opposition switch off or it’s the perfect cross or finish. You’ve got to keep asking questions and they will buckle at some point.
People moaned we were shit and won under conte and mourinho

Why is no one moaning we look shit and win now?
Doing fuck all with the ball is as bad as doing fuck all without it.

Having your fullback vacate the area and spend most of his time in central midfield already takes care of that to an extent...

'The CBs split and the DM drops in' would no doubt be Ange's counter to that comment.......

Touche though.

Luton were easily the better team in that second half.

11 shots to Villa's 2
7 corners to Villa's 0

Aston Villa played well in the first half but largely it was down to Luton just showing them too much respect. Once they stopped doing that in the second half, they battered them. I'm aware of the many threats they have but I've seen more than enough of Villa this season to know that we'll get plenty of chances.

You don't understand why a team who has won more games, scored more goals, conceded less goals, are above us in the league, and have won 10 of 13 home games may be the favourites here?
That’s not what I asked was it? I said I don’t understand why you’d be amazed if we won there. They are 5 points in front but we have a game in hand. I we beat them on Sunday and win our game in hand we are above them and have a better goal difference likely. They have beat Luton,Forest,Fulham and Sheff Utd and lost to Utd and Chelsea in their last 6 games. If you are going to be amazed if we beat them then fair enough but fuck that negative attitude before we even play.

Son hit the post in the 54th minute

2 shots in the first half
Including the Son one on the post, I count 2 before Palace scored in the 59th minute

So one hour of domination yeilded 4 shots.
That's fucking boring. I don't want to bore teams into submission. I want us to speed up and go for it.

That’s not what I asked was it? I said I don’t understand why you’d be amazed if we won there. They are 5 points in front but we have a game in hand. I we beat them on Sunday and win our game in hand we are above them and have a better goal difference likely. They have beat Luton,Forest,Fulham and Sheff Utd and lost to Utd and Chelsea in their last 6 games. If you are going to be amazed if we beat them then fair enough but fuck that negative attitude before we even play.
I just gave you all the stats that show why they'd be favourites and why he'd he amazed if we won.

I could also add that we haven't won a game against a top 10 team away from home all season either, just to compound that.

'The CBs split and the DM drops in' would no doubt be Ange's counter to that comment.......

Touche though.
And just to be clear, I'm not being critical of the tactic, just seems as though playing that way could potentially lend itself better to the skillset of an all round midfielder than a defensively sound fullback...

I don't expect it to happen mind, and hopefully Porro is back anyway.

If we stuck with the starting 11 from that match, I'd bet my mortgage on us still having not scored if we were still playing now.

It took changes to wake up against Brighton. It took changes to wake up against Palace. It took changes to wake up against Brentford.

We need to start getting it right from the start.
I agree but the game lasts as long as it lasts. I don’t care how we get there as long as we win and we did.

It's not helping us that at the moment we look as though we could contrive to concede a goal to an U-16 womens side down to 9 players...

Teams know that they can set out against us with absolutely no ambition to do anything pro-active and yet somehow they are guaranteed to get on the scoresheet. If they can somehow keep the resilience up for 90 minutes then they've a good chance of 3 points.

Thankfully it's been an age since we drew a blank. I also don't expect Villa to take that approach anyway, if we are on it then there are goals to be had...

Hi Spurs fans

Back again and looking forward to being at the match on Sunday.

Pre-match thoughts.......

Villa Park will be bouncing and the fans will be well up for the game.

Obviously ideally, I wish we didn't have 2 huge knock out matches against Ajax either side of the biggest match of the season. I think Emery will go as strong as he can on Thursday night rather than resting our main men and to be honest, our injuries and lack of squad depth mean he hasn't got much choice.

For us, I see it as a must not lose rather than a must win.

Having 11 points advantage on Man United (12 with the goal difference) is massive for us and barring a collapse, we shouldn't finish below 5th now. Praying that England gets the extra Champions League spot and we both get there !

Hi Spurs fans

Back again and looking forward to being at the match on Sunday.

Pre-match thoughts.......

Villa Park will be bouncing and the fans will be well up for the game.

Obviously ideally, I wish we didn't have 2 huge knock out matches against Ajax either side of the biggest match of the season. I think Emery will go as strong as he can on Thursday night rather than resting our main men and to be honest, our injuries and lack of squad depth mean he hasn't got much choice.

For us, I see it as a must not lose rather than a must win.

Having 11 points advantage on Man United (12 with the goal difference) is massive for us and barring a collapse, we shouldn't finish below 5th now. Praying that England gets the extra Champions League spot and we both get there !

As long as you do your job in Europe, 5th place should be more than enough!

Back
Top Bottom