Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur - Sunday 10th March

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’m all for playing a midfielder there but more so at home against the likes of a Palace,Brentford and Burnley where we know they won’t come after us. Villa will and would expose that more.

Yeh, kind of under estimates the threat they'll pose from their LW-er.

We should send someone with a Corgi to shit on the refs lawn. Try and foster a hatred for anything that looks like a Corgi
corgi GIF

John Mcginn GIF by Aston Villa FC

I don't see it.

What I see

Animated GIF

Don't be ridiculous, we were far from "fucking awful".

I know you take a perverse delight in drawing no pleasure whatsoever from Tottenham, but at least pretend to try for some sort of balance.
Delight?
I take no delight for being bored shitless for an hour on Saturday.
I want to see it acknowledged it was boring and ineffective until it was changed. Not people suggesting we keep it the same ffs.

Delight?
I take no delight for being bored shitless for an hour on Saturday.
I want to see it acknowledged it was boring and ineffective until it was changed. Not people suggesting we keep it the same ffs.
Tbf to us, we're there to play attacking football. If the oppo want to bore us shitless with their low-block there's not much we can do except be patient and find a way through. It is dull but much like it was when we used to play Burnley under Poch.

Combined 11s are the absolute worst thing about football Twitter I hate them. Should be banned

I sometimes do this myself when we're playing sides on a similar level, though unless you can completely take bias out of it they are utterly pointless. I just see them as a way to waste a few minutes.

I will say that Villa are a good team though and I would quite happily take Douglas Luiz and Watkins from them. Jacob Ramsey too although he's had an injury hit season.

I'm not massively over-confident about playing them, but I'm looking forward to it and think we can do them if we can keep it tight until the later stages. If we can get in front, we will run them ragged and ruin them for their run-in.

Overall, I'm pretty confident about getting 4th place off them.

Negatives:

They play more games at home.
We kind-of have to beat them, or at least draw.

Positives:

Villa are almost certainly going to go for it in the conference*, so we might benefit from some tired legs.
Villa's run in is just as hard as ours, if not harder.

* Because they know there's a good chance that the PL will get that 5th CL spot via City or Pool having a good run and winning it, and they might as well go for some silverware with that as a back-stop. Even Europa is progress for them.

Tbf to us, we're there to play attacking football. If the oppo want to bore us shitless with their low-block there's not much we can do except be patient and find a way through. It is dull but much like it was when we used to play Burnley under Poch.
This just isn't true. Having the ball and passing it slowly around the outside of the opposition 3rd isn't attacking football. People seem to believe this is all down to the opposition "low block"
It's not just that though. We seem to see them do it, and immediately revert to a tactic of "Let's just pass the ball about relentlessly and hope they drop a bollock"
I never get the feeling we're trying to really put any pressure on, force anything, seize on some space or generally just actually attack.

First half stats Vs Palace had us with 82% possession and 2 shots. 1 whole shot more than the team that had 18% of the ball and barely came out of their half. How are people constantly convincing themselves this is attacking football?

People will say "we're only 6 months in"
This squad and coach weren't born in August. They and the coach are all experienced enough to know when to pass it around patiently, and when to thread a ball into space and let a *Werner or Son run on to it. We just didn't do it.

*Werner missed one of those. Let's give him 2 or 3 a match. And back him up when he's through like that.

Back
Top Bottom