Are we lacking a world beater?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We have a world beater in Lloris. He'll steal points for us. Unfortunately, he is put in the back of the net and won't get the attention he deserves and he won't be able to SCORE those worldie-screamers Bale mastered in his last years. However, we have a fine squad with tons of younger lads. One of them will become our offensive star. My money is on Lamela, but it will take time.

whilst we may not have a ready-made "World beater" just yet, no one would've called Bale that before THAT night in the San Siro... yes he was good, but the focus of attention and THAT TAG was MUCH more on either Modric's creative shoulders, or VdV's ability to pull a goal out of nothing...
Don't get me wrong, it's not like Bale slipped in under the radar totally unnoticed, WE could see what he could be capable of, but until he started doing it regularly (ie; 'only' the final 2 seasons of his Spurs career) and not just the occasional 'Worldy' you can't say for certain that he's a fully fledged 'beater of the world'... after all, if THAT were the case, then Rose, Ekotto & Bentley would've been doing keepy-uppys on the Bernieinnbau pitch by now, due to their staggering 'once-in-a-lifetime' goals!

IMHO, Lamela and Eriksen are probably the two (most obvious) players that stand out to fill that role... but are maybe at the stage Bale was in 2010/11, and definitely NOT the finished article...
whether we can wait another 2 years for them to develop fully is another matter... seeing as we need CL football yesterday, and a ready-made replacement World beater even sooner... but for those with such patience, hopefully it'll be worth the wait!

Personally of the opinion that having one or two aspects of your club, on pitch or off it, which drags your average upwards is a very dangerous thing. The only progress I trust is slow upgrades on everything and that's why this squad is exactly what I wanted to see as a Spurs fan. It's a definite upgrade in all positions (aside from perhaps strikers, in terms of depth and quality seen there) on what we had 5 years ago. Add to that the modernisation of off-pitch matters - the inclusion of Baldini and Levy giving him responsibility over transfers (DL having learnt his lessons from the Commoli experiment and applied them, it seems) as well as the successful recruitment, and retention, of AVB.

Now while AVB comes in for a lot of criticism (as does any manager - this is football and football is emotive), he is, on paper, the best fit for Spurs. We're not going to get a Hiddink, an Ancelotti, a Guardiola. Frankly, pre-Chelsea, we would not have gotten an AVB. But we needed a tactically astute manager with a little guile to him and a preferred system. I suspect that he will become more tactically flexible as his career goes on, and it may even be to our cost that he learns that lesson.

I won't say it didn't hurt to see Bale in a white shirt with 'Fly Emirates' emblazoned across the front. But I think that our play did centre around him last year and we looked bereft whether he was on the pitch or not - it was a moment of magic in the fatigue that often settled it, and you can't rely on the same man for the same tricks without the opposition forming a game plan to counter it. If what we want is progress, then Levy did the right thing. Having one player that stands out...you may as well put a target on their back. Ozil, Van Persie, Suarez - even Bale - all drew a huge number of fouls last year, will do again this season and with good reason: because they're quality players and quality players need to be stopped by any means. An injury to any of those players and the team looks like a much worse proposition. And that level of dependency is dangerous when you're challenging at the top level.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom