Apoel Nicosia v Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pretty much the spine of our team (Dele, Eriksen, Wanyama, Dembele and Jan) is out of this game. Such a blow. We're going to have to start at least two players who've barely played this season, hope they'll be ready for it.
And this is why rotation is necessary. No use having a strong bench if their asses are full of bench splinters when they are needed.

I'm a bit worried where our creativity is going to come from tomorrow. No Eriksen means we haven't got that defence cutting pass.

- Lloris -
- Aurier Alderweireld Sanchez Davies -
- Dier -
- Sissoko Winks Son -
- Kane Llorente -​

I went to the Real vs Nicosia game in Madrid (was there on holiday).

Don’t be mistaken, they might be the ‘weakest link’ in our group, but they are worthy adversaries.

They are really strong on the counter, their attacking players are confident on the ball and their defence is well structured.

If we make clumsy errors, they will punish us for it, but if we begin sharp and play our game, we should dictate the game and win 0-2 (my personal prediction)

Let’s hope for a great game,
COYS

Just shows the importance of a big squad... no doubt we'd like to rest Davies tomorrow ideally for instance but we can't really. KWP on the left doesn't sit too well with me, could do with another young LWB. Llorente not being match fit puts more pressure on Kane... Dembele and Eriksen out means Dier maybe in midfield again and Sissoko again etc. I'd have loved another central midfielder in the window, a Leicester/Cambiasso type signing would've been great, and perhaps to have taken a punt on one or two relatively cheap youngsters as 3rd choice players here and there too, but now I'm getting all Football Manager 2010 again, when signing players was as easy as having four wanks in a morning.

Dele Alli (suspension)
Serving the second of a three-game ban in European competitions.

Mousa Dembele (ankle)
Receiving treatment to injury post-Barnsley and now undergoing rehabilitation. Will be assessed ahead of the weekend’s match at Huddersfield Town.

Christian Eriksen (illness)
Unwell overnight and has not travelled.

Erik Lamela (hips)
Stepping up intensity of outdoor work.

Danny Rose (knee)
Continues progressing with intensity of rehabilitation.

Jan Vertonghen (suspension)
Serving one-game European ban following red card against Borussia Dortmund.

Victor Wanyama (knee)
Undergone period of treatment and now stepping up rehab.

does not sound good even allowing from weakness of opposition. will be glad for 3 points and not worried if it is close.
7 v 7 league champions right there...

Our bench will be weak for this one... if we go with Lloris, Aurier, Alderweireld, Sanchez, Davies, Dier, Winks, Sissoko, Son, Kane, Llorente

Vorm
Trippier
Foyth
KWP
GKN
Oakley-Booth
Georgiou

Really only One player attack wise that we can bring on regardless of if Llorente, Son, Sissoko or GKN are preferred ahead of the others. Not good in a game we simply must win

Given that Alli, Eriksen, Wanyama, Dembele and Jan are all apparently out for various reasons, it all depends on whether you trust a formation style first or trust experienced players more...

3-4-3 on the Counter:

Lloris
Aurier Alderweireld Sanchez Foyth Davies
Sissoko Dier
N'Koudou Kane Son​

Plan B Christmas Tree:

Lloris
Aurier Alderweireld Sanchez Davies
Sissoko Dier Winks
Kane Son
Llorente​

The first is tempting to try to ideally replicate the BVB style and win 0-4 against weaker opposition, but the second one looks more realistic for a well fought 0-1 win away from home in Europe.

I went to the Real vs Nicosia game in Madrid (was there on holiday).

Don’t be mistaken, they might be the ‘weakest link’ in our group, but they are worthy adversaries.

They are really strong on the counter, their attacking players are confident on the ball and their defence is well structured.

If we make clumsy errors, they will punish us for it, but if we begin sharp and play our game, we should dictate the game and win 0-2 (my personal prediction)

Let’s hope for a great game,
COYS

Blatant "holiday in Madrid" post.

That's mental!! This is a CL game not a league cup 3rd Round! And we've a genuine injury/Suspension crises all over the park! Kane will play
Well Llorente is a world champion while Kane is a one..hm..four going on five season wonder. Wouldn't be mental but I'm sure Kane will play.

3-4-3 on the Counter:

Lloris
Aurier Alderweireld Sanchez Foyth Davies
Sissoko Dier
N'Koudou Kane Son​

Plan B Christmas Tree:

Lloris
Aurier Alderweireld Sanchez Davies
Sissoko Dier Winks
Kane Son
Llorente​
Can we change the titles ?
A: 3-4-3 to.... jumper stretched in the wash formation?
B: Christmas Tree to.....Replacement jumper formation?

Its too early to mention Christmas .

Would be great to see Llorente have a good game and score from a Serge cross. Sissoko to get winner from a through ball from Sanchez and we come away with the win. Desperately want newer players to get established.
COYS

Lloris
Aurier toby sanchez davies
Dier winks
Sissoko son gkn
Kane

Vorm foyth trippier llorente kwp edwards TOB

Fuck we have amazing depth given our outs. 6 or 7 (given lamela wasn't included in the CL squad) first teamers missing and our bench is still okay.

I think our attack looks much better with offensive fullbacks. Therefore I want 3 CDs I don't really know who of the 3 that has the strongest left foot. But he should play on the left. If you are going to boss a defence, is it better to be in the middle? If it is Toby should be there. Lots of questions, no answers. Typically me.

Back
Top Bottom