Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I didn't see the presser, but the BBC have a slightly different transcription of his comments. He's quoted there as saying:

Which, if accurate, suggests he's really saying, "I'll work until I'm sacked, but I'm not quitting."
no. I have listened his words and the sense was:
don't ask me if I want to stay the next year, because if you want me to stay just to have an easy target to hit, no thanks

A terrible response. A decent manager would say "he's a passionate player who really cares, we've had a chat about it, he's working hard and will get more chances".
There it is four fucking lines of text. Done. Issue fixed. Its as easy as this. But OffTheBench OffTheBench is an adult not a man baby like Conte. 15 million pounds a year, and it's too much for him. I'd fire him for this bullshit alone. This is an asset we spent 60 million pounds on Ffs!

Exactly what Conte said....how many strikers do you want me to play ....4 ? The team needs balance.
Ah yes, the goal average will really come in handy in the Quarter-Finals. It's so crucial that we didn't concede in the last 10 minutes against Milan.

He got us 4th miraculously last season, that's nothing is it.
Don't insult me please with disgusting language.
For me, coming 4th means three teams were better than us. So many were even flakier than us last season. They’re much stronger this season and we’re starting to look out of our depth.

What I thought he’d bring is defensive stability. Even if we’re a player or three short of challenging, we wouldn’t bleed too many goals and we’d see a marked improvement in many of our players. Instead, we see regression, fragility, fear, predictability and tedium.

I’m surprised by his inability to understand the current fashions and make proactive substitutions and changes to formations during matches. I’m not surprised by his passive-aggressive wank.

The guy is not Spurs. He is not one of us. He’s like an egomaniac surgeon who thinks he’s doing us a favour by removing our appendix and yanks out our guts out by mistake.

I've got no respect for you or your opinions ever since you outed yourself as a pro-Putin supporter, you mouth breathing waste of life.

You should be ashamed that you were even born.

Clown
Hahah look at this muppet talking. You try to boss people around and bully them if their opinion is different than yours, but truth is you are a little bitch with little to no respect who tries to prove otherwise with your autistic and repetitive rants. This place is significantly better when you are not posting your copy pastas, honestly just fuck off already you waste of fucking time.

... Disagree all you want you insecure moron, it’s going to make a massive difference

no. I have listened his words and the sense was:
don't ask me if I want to stay the next year, because if you want me to stay just to have an easy target to hit, no thanks
Thanks. I haven't heard the comments, nor seen them written in context.

It does seem pretty clear that he's off, one way or the other though. Another of the comments attributed to him by the BBC was:
We have to finish the season and then we will see. The club knows very well my thoughts. I am ready to die for this club until the end of the season.
All in all, given what we know about Levy and Conte, it was a strange appointment.

Whilst the football being served up is mind numbing and the contract situation just keeps tumbling on, we should give this a chance.

Unless you have untold wealth and are willing to spend that, a top club doesn’t just happen overnight. It can take a few seasons to build something that wins and continues to win.

This cycle of employ and sack doesn’t work. The last 20-30 years shows this to be true. We need to draw a line in the sand at some point and accept that we need to be patient.

However, I can certainly see why so many want the man out today. Just wouldn’t be my next move.

Whilst the football being served up is mind numbing and the contract situation just keeps tumbling on, we should give this a chance.

Unless you have untold wealth and are willing to spend that, a top club doesn’t just happen overnight. It can take a few seasons to build something that wins and continues to win.

This cycle of employ and sack doesn’t work. The last 20-30 years shows this to be true. We need to draw a line in the sand at some point and accept that we need to be patient.

However, I can certainly see why so many want the man out today. Just wouldn’t be my next move.
Kin hell

Good strong argument Arcy. Missed our verbal jousting.
He’s done in two months anyway. We are clearly on a downward spiral, performances and results are shit which is not a blip. Why would you drag this? We are going to have start again regardless of whether it’s now or in two months

That's a really revealing presser in so many ways, very interesting to hear him explain things from his point of view. I know every man and his dog want blood right now but trying to look at this as dispassionately as possible, this is the general gist....

On Richy he's clearly pissed off with what was said publicly, you can see he gets pretty angry and has to control himself. Also says Richy apologized, will be interesting to see how that plays out going forward.

On his contract and future he says the contract length was strange - it's normally 3 years, not 18 months. Says this was because the club wanted to see how he was and he wanted to see how the club was. I think from his point of view he means to see if the club was serious about challenging - basically splashing the cash on good players to improve us to a level to challenge City etc.
Also says he's ready to die for the club until the end of the season, that the club knows his thoughts going forward, he speaks every day with Para and has a good relationship with Levy. BUT basically he's saying (without directly saying it) that the club won't do what it takes and he's fucking off because of it when his contract is up. Says he won't kill himself - he means he'll honour his contract and do his best but he's not staying longer cos it's will kill him (or his reputation perhaps).

Danjuma talk is pretty perfunctory really, doesn't say owt controversial either way.

On the Sanchez sub he explains (and the formation quotes above are wrong) that with the ball we played 324 with PP pushed up (with Kane, Son & Richy) and without it it was 333. Also says 4 strikers wouldn't have worked and Milan on the counter would've scored. I hadn't considered this (about PP). He was certainly more of a threat than Kulu, all irrelevant now anyway.

On the current climate he understands that there's no patience left, the fans have waited too long for trophies and he understands that BUT he repeats that the team isn't of the level required and it will take time.

He's clearly feeling the pressure, he's angry but controlled (just), he's also defensive. He does say on a few occasions that it's his responsibility to improve things.

This was a marriage made of convenience at the time - Levy needed someone to get him out of the Jose/Nuno shit and Conte was missing footy and looking for work at a decent club. It worked for a bit, we got 4th when we'd been miles off, but what many feared has come true. Conte and Levy just wasn't gonna last, Conte wants to shop at Selfridges at least and Levy is more a Marks and Spencers type of guy, especially when the sales are on.

So Conte succeeded in getting a bit of what he wanted but not enough to take us to the place he likes to be at - challenging for leagues. Levy was made to do things that made him uncomfortable, even finding £150m down the back of the sofa, but he still couldn't bring himself to part with it all or stop sneaking into Marks' to grab some cheap clobber.

It's toxic now with the fans at least which is understandable but not helpful. I still really hope we finish the season strongly because we have a run in that gives us a chance of qualifying for the champions league which will help us attract managers and players. I just hope the toxicity of this forum isn't reflected in the stadium tomorrow, we're still fans and I'll be there cheering them on, hoping a win can settle things down for now at least.

On the plus side of Conte's wish for Selfridges frillies is that we do have a better squad than he started with, albeit one that still needs an awful lot of improvement.

The downside is possibly the end of Kane at Spurs. Considering how reliant we've been on him this season especially, this could really hurt us badly in the short to medium term. I don't hold it against him, he's given the club his best years and effort and stayed longer than many would have. But he's a top drawer centre forward and not one we'll be able to replace any time soon.

In all of this, ultimately the buck stops with Levy. But we know this and have done for too long now.

Can understand that in a way. Was my thinking when Poch was sacked. Felt impatient given the need to rebuild at the time.
Problem being that Conte looks like he can't wait to get out, not a man who is trying his best and just needs more time.
I'd have lots of patience if we were in the position Chelsea have been with Potter for example. A "project" manager.

Back
Top Bottom