Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In the Italian newspapers today a lot of attention to Tottenham considered as one of the protagonists together with the usual Manchester City and Liverpool. Conte is considered the general of this battle. Good league my friends

Sounds like we have him long term a la Klopp/Pep if Levy sticks by his word. 17:30

Exactly what he alluded to.

Brilliant presser.

Clear signals to Joe/Levy that he's found a club/set-up he's willing to work with long term.

But, you must match his ambitions and provide him with the right tools to achieve them.

And don't disrespect/insult him by pulling any sly/underhand nonsense, or he'll be off in a flash.

Simple. Clear. Up front.

Love it.

But, you must match his ambitions and provide him with the right tools to achieve them.
thats all well and good but he has to be reasonable with that. we cant just spend along with the likes of the sports washing wankers.

but thats the job of a proper manager isnt it, getting close to maximum out of your actual available resources.

spurs are by no means a pauper of a club. theres good money there, that in the right hands can do some seriously big things. well see how good conte really is! this is an actual legit challenge here that hes taken on and fair play to him. managing spurs to an actual successful era is a sign of a legit elite manager.

this is contes real test, after this hell either be seen as a legit elite manager that has really proven it, or hell be seen as one of many overhyped managers. he cant be making excuses about not being backed because he has enough resources to be successful here, any mug can do it with the money the sports washers chuck about, that's no achievement.

thats all well and good but he has to be reasonable with that. we cant just spend along with the likes of the sports washing wankers.

but thats the job of a proper manager isnt it, getting close to maximum out of your actual available resources.

spurs are by no means a pauper of a club. theres good money there, that in the right hands can do some seriously big things. well see how good conte really is! this is an actual legit challenge here that hes taken on and fair play to him. managing spurs to an actual successful era is a sign of a legit elite manager.

this is contes real test, after this hell either be seen as a legit elite manager that has really proven it, or hell be seen as one of many overhyped managers. he cant be making excuses about not being backed because he has enough resources to be successful here, any mug can do it with the money the sports washers chuck about, that's no achievement.
Conte does have a track record of signing players others might consider a bit average and succeeding.

He won a league with Lukaku.

He already demonstrated a bit of that with Kulu and Bentancur.

Last edited by a moderator:

'They have to make ME happy': Antonio Conte warns his Tottenham stars it is up to them to impress him ahead of Premier League opener against Southampton... and insists the squad are still 'another step' away from challenging the elite​

• Tottenham manager Antonio Conte has made six signings this transfer window
  • He has boosted competition for places and could still bring in more players
  • Roma's Nicolo Zainolo is a target, and Conte would like another centre back
  • He warned his players it will be up to them to prove they are worthy of a place
By MATT BARLOW FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 16:50 BST, 4 August 2022 | UPDATED: 17:22 BST, 4 August 2022
Antonio Conte warned his Tottenham players on the eve of the new season that it is not his job to keep them happy but the reverse, it is their job to impress him.

Conte has boosted competition within his squad with six summer recruits, and Spurs are still in the transfer market for what the Italian called 'common sense signings'.

Nicolo Zaniolo of Roma is a midfielder in their sights and Conte would like to bring in another central defender before the window closes at the end of this month.

'They have to make me happy,' said the Italian, smiling but deadly serious. And he added: 'You understand? With their performances, to make me think who is the better player. You understand? They have to make me happy, OK.'

There are some who don't know what to expect. He dropped Harry Winks, Sergio Reguillon, Giovani Lo Celso and Tanguy Ndombele, all respected senior internationals, from his squad at the start of pre-season.

Conte is getting his way at Tottenham and appears satisfied with the progress made since the end of last season.

'We're trying to do things with common sense,' said the Spurs boss. 'I know only this way to try to improve the club and try to give us the right direction.

'It's not simple because I have to try not to make mistakes, especially in the transfer window with the club, but I think we are doing good things with common sense to try to improve the quality, to try to improve the squad.'

There is a quiet confidence about Spurs as Conte starts his first full season at the helm, but he was careful not to promise too much ahead of Saturday's opener at home to Southampton.

'Why not win the Champions League and the Premier League,' he laughed when asked about his targets. 'My target and the club's target is to try to continue to improve, to develop the process that we started.

'It doesn't mean that if you lift a trophy or win the Premier League or the Champions League, or you get a place in Champions League you achieved your target. It means we have to try to develop in every aspect.

'My experience tells me we're going in the right direction but at the same time I know the club needs another step before being competitive to the top teams in the Premier League and Europe.

'We have to not be presumptuous or arrogant and work, work, work to try to improve on the pitch and outside the pitch to become a top club.

'We are going in the right direction. We are improving and our target has to be to develop the situation and to increase our value on and off the pitch.'

Tottenham, Antonio Conte on Sky: "We need more steps to aim for the title"

Tottenham will take the field on 6 August for the first day of the Premier League against Southampton (match to be followed live on Sky). Francesco Cosatti exclusively interviewed Antonio Conte, Spurs coach: "We must not be presumptuous: we have started a serious path, adding quality players like Perisic, but the club needs to take other steps before thinking about the title. Four teams leave. always ahead of everyone: Liverpool, City, United and Chelsea "

How did the preseason go? What kind of Tottenham is being born? There are many new faces ...
"The pre-season went well, it was tiring, we had to make two long and demanding trips between Korea and Israel. But we worked hard, both from a tactical and a physical point of view. There were new players to add. , like Perisic who came from a major injury, or like Bissouma who got Covid and arrived a week later due to the Nationals. There were minor setbacks, but at the same time I'm happy to be able to continue working on an idea of 'last year, without having to start all over again, as happened in November: it was very hard there, you have to bring your idea from scratch ".

What is Tottenham's goal this season? Return to the Champions area? Or can you dream of something more?
"Honestly, we must be good at not becoming presumptuous and arrogant, we must not think that in just 7 months we have reduced a gap that has existed for a very long time, I am thinking of Liverpool and City, but also Chelsea have recently won the Champions and the World Cup. For club. There would also be United, but they have struggled a bit in recent years, unlike City or Liverpool. Klopp has been pursuing his ideas in Liverpool for seven years and is also supported by the club. "

What do you expect from two top players like Kane and Son? Can they still grow?
"Kane and Son are the two most representative players of the club. Two top players who could play in all the major teams. I see them very focused and happy that they have taken a direction well in advance of previous years. They see that there has remained a player base from last season and we are trying to implement that base to increase the quantity and quality of the squad, as we face four competitions. Kane and Son feel that the path they have taken on paper is good. "

Can Perisic do well right away in the Premier League? What do you expect from him?
"Now for Perisic it is important to get back in the best psychophysical condition, because he got hurt in the last match of last season, a serious injury, now he is back at his disposal. The expected recovery times seemed even longer, but then Ivan has recovered. Against Roma I made him play from the beginning to make him familiar with the pace of the match and with his teammates. He is not yet at 100%, but he is certainly a player who has reached an incredible maturity from all points of view. Let's not forget that he won with several clubs and made a World Cup final. His experience will be important for us. "

Will City and Liverpool start favorites in the next Premier League?
"I am assuming that in England for history and investments there are four teams that start in front of all: Liverpool, City, United and Chelsea. For example, Chelsea replaced Lukaku with Sterling, Rudiger left but Koulibaly arrived. United it's a great club, has a lot of fans all over the world and can spend, but those who spend don't always win. Two years ago United were behind City, then they bought CR7, Sancho and Varane, but they finished 6th. made these purchases to win the Premier, but they did not succeed, it is a championship in which we must maintain certain equilibriums in order not to slip. The club needs to take other steps before thinking of being a title contender right from the start. "

Let's look at the first of the league, at home against Southampton: what match can we expect?
"Last year Southampton took away 5 points from us in the standings. One against them we drew and one lost at home. So our first goal is to score more points against them, to add points to our 72 for the year. Southampton is a tough team, difficult to face, we know it well given the results of last season. But we want to do well. We have a team that has seven months of work behind us and we have improved the squad with players of quality, even in terms of numbers, to face our four competitions ".
I love the fact he talks about four clubs, based on history, profile, and form. And does not once mention Woolwich, because they have now become an irrelevance like West Ham.

Dare I say it, do we all need to raise our sights from the NLD, and the bragging rights that go with it, to the serious silverware available?

Boy, it’s good having a manger with an uncompromising, winning mentality.

:contelip:

From Gazzetta dello Sport ( cut & paste)

The Premier 2022-23 according to Antonio Conte starts with three teams in front. «There are not only City and Liverpool. Why are Chelsea never included in the top teams? Yet two years ago he won the Champions League and last year the Club World Cup ». His Tottenham, word of the technco, is working to reach that level. "My experience leads me to say that we are going in the right direction, but that the club needs to take other steps before being competitive with the best teams in the Premier League and in the Champions League," he says at the Spurs training center. The target is not only the first of the championship, tomorrow at 4 pm Italian time against Southampton, but a unique season, broken in half by the World Cup, in which the coach who arrived in London in November wants to see his Tottenham grow even more. In all competitions.
The big Conte looks ahead, «without presumption and arrogance but with ambition, the one that pushes you to give 120% to improve». He looks at who last year finished in front of Tottenham and who becomes a point of reference: «City and Liverpool are two of the best teams in the world who have worked with the same coach for years. They deserve to stay ahead, because they have worked well, with continuity, what it takes to become great. They don't spend $ 100 million on 6 players, they can use that money for a graft or two. For me, Chelsea is among the top clubs. And then United ... Last season eighth, but last year they had finished second and to win they had taken Cristiano Ronaldo, Sancho and Varane. In England there are three major competitions, but in the end it is only one that wins. It is difficult to do it because there are monstrous teams, but we want to try to be competitive too ».
Tottenham The watchword for the Spurs is work. «Our goal now is not to close the gap with those in front of us, but to be better than last year - he explains several times -. The Champions League achieved last year was a great result. On the market, the team's goal was to improve both in terms of quality and numbers: we are trying to do things with common sense, giving direction to the team which is the only way to improve. We play in 4 competitions this year: Premier, Champions, FA Cup and League Cup, and with the many unknowns related to the World Cup, players are also needed to do so. I think we are going in the right direction, but it takes time and patience. Seven months of work together are important: it means being able to work to improve the physical condition under the tactical aspect, on the team in general. But you don't arrive in seven months or a year: you need patience, but at the same time the ambition to be competitive, to want to give your best. And continuity is needed ». The coach says he is happy at Tottenham and in the past he had said that he is not someone who needs contracts, but his time with Spurs expires at the end of the season. «To stay in a club this long, I need to feel good. And I want honesty: I don't like people who tell me something at first and change plans after a season or two. I like honest people: I want the truth, even if it hurts, not a lie for good ». It's the same approach he used at Tottenham, the one that allowed him to win over players, from Kane to Son. The one he wants to build the Spurs climb to the top with. Because Conte doesn't say it, but he would love to be able to fill that gap with those in front of him ...

I think he is reasonable. I'm pretty sure he understands how much the club can spend and how much he can push. He's not going to be demanding "Mbappe or I'm outta here," but he will walk if he asks for Molina and the club gets him KWP, for example.

Love the fact that he played the same team as last season. The players realize they have competition and need to step their game up. Also good to see us play well without being over reliant on Kane and Son. Squad depth will be crucial this season with 5 subs and we've already started by beating a team that beat us at home last season with the same XI.

Conte projects as no-nonsense, hard but fair and does not take any crap.
That's what we have been lacking for some time now!
He is a proven winner and the club has to back him to the hilt.
No more pennies and coupon books in dealing with other clubs.

Conte’s caution on Spence signing shows how far Spurs hope to go
Tottenham manager prefers battle-hardened internationals to young bucks so wing-back will have to show some patience
3500.jpg

Djed Spence was superb in the Championship last season but has work to do to impress Antonio Conte.

Back
Top Bottom