Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not saying you're wrong; but what happened to:

"It's gonna take patience"
"The fans deserve better"
"The squad is more complete"
"These are great guys"

Etc. etc.....?

- Comments sound to me like a man who still believes this, but doesn't think he'll get it, or the resources needed to go with said patience.

- Still believes this. Repeated it in this interview.

- Maybe he thought this, but not to any meaningful extent. More complete doesn't = greatly improved or I got everything I wanted.

- They might be fantastic, lovely guys. Doesn't mean they're very good footballers.

Would you give a 10/10 performance every match for $14 million a year? Or would you take some matches off? Maybe just the ones that arent worth your time...

City played in to his hands with their style and as a team they performed poorly, perhaps due to a bit of complacency. Burnley on the other hand came at us full throttle, swarmed Kane whenever he touched the ball, and were highly organised and alert.

It's not a case of the player just putting out a 10/10 whenever he fancies.

This squad is good enough to get more than 0 points against Wolves (H), Southampton (H) and Burnley (A).

A team with Lloris. Romero, Son, Kane, Bentancur and other solid international players should be doing better.

- Comments sound to me like a man who still believes this, but doesn't think he'll get it, or the resources needed to go with said patience.

- Still believes this. Repeated it in this interview.

- Maybe he thought this, but not to any meaningful extent. More complete doesn't = greatly improved or I got everything I wanted.

- They might be fantastic, lovely guys. Doesn't mean they're very good footballers.

It's all a bit under-whelmingly emo....

Seen Rafa B play a more ass-kicking hand than this.... (Everton aside, actually Rallies the fans behind him too.)

This squad is good enough to get more than 0 points against Wolves (H), Southampton (H) and Burnley (A).

A team with Lloris. Romero, Son, Kane, Bentancur and other solid international players should be doing better.
Exactly. It all comes down to Conte’s negative tactics vs team’s sitting back which relies heavily on capable wingbacks which spurs simply don’t have currently. He needs to be less pragmatic and more flexible in approach for these types of games. Spurs surely have the talent to get results vs these clubs.

Again; maybe you're right, but can't he be his own standard bearer?

Where is the bad-ass "killer" that everyone was so excited about both in the summer and when he eventually signed?
I would say he has done a good job of increasing the standards at the club since he came in, he improved fitness, nutrition, turned us around in pretty much every area when we were rock bottom under Nuno.

There’s only so much you can do before the shit above you starts to leak down though. I’ve worked under great people before whose good management couldn’t save a bad company culture where laziness and mediocrity is unchecked and even rewarded.

This is hypothetical of course but the way our players present themselves on match day for the last 3 years doesn’t exactly reflect a workplace that promotes professional pride and high standards.

Speaks volumes, we have a manager who, imo, is one of the top 3 in world football at the peak of his talents and his words could not be clearer.

"The players are always the same, in THIS club they always change the coaches but the players are always the same and the results doesn't change."

"I am too honest to accept this situation"

Pretty fucking clear, Conte KNOWS the ownership has ZERO intention of making this club a top tier club on the pitch where it matters and he isn't going to partake in their bullshit string along game, hence the comments he is making here.

The reality is setting in and he is speaking some home truths about dear "Don Levy" and his crooked band of swindlers.

I have to respect him for speaking honestly, the people who defend these utter rat owners make me sick, fuck off out of the club anybody who defends them, you're not wanted.

WE WANT OUR FOOTBALL CLUB BACK.

ENIC OUT!

Ok, guess we will have to change coach again and see how that goes ey?

Maybe after another 15 coaches we might get lucky?

This team is CLEARLY good enough to be getting points off these teams, as we CLEARLY have better players, it's got nothing to do with the fact that our team has been utterly neglected by the ownership and we have had a piss poor transfer policy for years.

It's just that Conte is overrated.

You don’t do well in the Premier League because you have a couple of great players and a handful of decent internationals. Almost every side here has mostly full international players.

This squad (plus or minus a few players) has now let down four managers in a row. I think at this point we need to look at the consistent theme here.

Majority of the fanbase do seem to be behind Conte.

More to do with their pre-existing feelings about the ownership (and the rep he has brought with him) than any fan-galvanising effect he can lay claim to have actively created himself.....

(eg Compare to Klopp after a similarly patchy start to life at Liverpool.)

You don’t do well in the Premier League because you have a couple of great players and a handful of decent internationals. Almost every side here has mostly full international players.

This squad (plus or minus a few players) has now let down four managers in a row. I think at this point we need to look at the consistent theme here.

This club has signed 19 players (inc a few loans) over the last 3 seasons. Now maybe one wants to debate the merits of them individually; but the "same players" shtick he's now decided to roll out isn't exactly true.

IMO he was on the right track not so long ago when he criticised the club for wasting money and saying that part of the culture needed to change (as per the same "patience" monologue that has been alluded to)..........

This new twist seems like a wrong-step IMO.

Last edited:
More to do with their pre-existing feelings about the ownership (and the rep he has brought with him) than any fan-galvanising effect he can lay claim to have actively created himself.....

(eg Compare to Klopp after a similarly patchy start to life at Liverpool.)

Maybe he feels a lack of support from above, and perhaps that's something which Klopp, despite a lot of work needing to be done, never felt he didn't have.

Maybe he feels a lack of support from above, and perhaps that's something which Klopp, despite a lot of work needing to be done, never felt he didn't have.

Maybe, maybe, maybe....... Seems to be the word of the day.... Again......

Yet some feel he is being forthright and an ass-kicker.

(You may recall a while back me saying I welcomed any transparency that came from his time here...... Far from getting what I hoped for on that front; just further food for fan-theory. ENIC in, out or middling..... That aspect of things continues to be fucking exhausting!)

I agree that the current form and losing 4/5 is unacceptable. However, surely Conte is realistic to know this season was always going to be an uphill struggle ?

I was quite young at the time but 87-88 under Venables seemed a lot like this. We had been majestic in 86/87 but came up short. The next season there was no consistency, no progress and we plodded from 3rd to 13th. And at that time Venables was rated the number one coach in the world. It takes time. Conte being honest is nice, but it’s not necessarily wise to set high expectations this season.

Now the difference between summer 88 and summer 22 is ENIC v Scholar. One actually did do everything he could to enhance the team. One does everything they could to avoid that.

It’s not Conte that needs to go. It’s Levy and ENIC and probably 50% of the squad. End of debate really. If Conte walks, then it’s all but over if ENIC stay.

Maybe, maybe, maybe....... Seems to be the word of the day.... Again......

Yet some feel he is being forthright and an ass-kicker.

(You may recall a while back me saying I welcomed any transparency that came from his time here......Far from getting what I hoped for on that front.)

I think when you look at his quotes after Burnley we can assume:

- He isn’t happy with the players at all, and is (rightly or wrongly) saying they’ve failed numerous managers.

- He feels the current standard is far too low and is suggesting the axe may fall on his head for it.

It sounds to me like a man who is directly attacking the way the club has operated with regards to managers & players in the last few years.

Back
Top Bottom