Another pissing game we won’t turn up to, have to suffer Emerson again and hope Kane or Deki save us - AKA Leeds at home, 3pm, 12th November.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Perhaps so, but both United and us had mediocre squads when he took over.

Regardless I think many are being too negative on Conte here. He’s 3rd best manager in the world imo.
No way his not win a euro trophy yet plus does he develop young players, play a style of football that you’d expect someone you call 3rd best manager? Also who says klopp is no2? There are plenty of good managers going things without money, coaching young players, improving them and play good attacking football. Is conte better than ancelloti? No way imo.

It’s got nothing to do with being Anglophile, there’s been more criticism from the French media etc of Deschamps than there has the English media, and it’s also got little to do with expecting national teams to play scintillating football, they rarely do, and by definition, the best managers are usually managing clubs.
These misconceptions get very tiring. Because English is the global lingua franca, everyone feels qualified to comment on how people in England perceive person x or event y. And it's almost never accurate because it's filtered through the lens of our media. I can't count the number of "you guys always think you're going to win the World Cup" myths I've had to dispel, even back in the early-to-mid 2010s, when we all knew we were shit and only the media hype machine said anything different. Also, explaining that "it's coming home" is often sung ironically and that it's no different to any other braggadocio-driven crowd chant or song (like "he scores when he wants") is infuriating to the point where I'm convinced some people disingenuously don't want to get it, so they can use it as a cudgel with which to beat England fans. (Sorry that this is tangential to what you were saying but it seemed like a good jumping off point. I agree with your essential proposition too.)

Last edited:
Kane did well for a player who shouldn't have even been playing. Depending on what method you use, he may have won two points today on "goal difference". Great close-space finish. And he played some lovely pre-assist balls too, like the one for Kulu. He's still got that world class passing and shooting ability, even when he can hardly run.

ETA: Though I am disappointed that he played/had to play the full 90. Now I'm wondering how much use he's going to be at the WC. I was hoping at the start of the season that a mid-season WC would really suit Kane, since breaks don't traditionally suit him. But he's already puffed. If Gareth isn't a madman, he'll realise that Kane has played with all of these guys lots before and will put him on the minimum light exercise needed to maintain match readiness this week. It'll be the first true week-long break Kane's had in months -- but realistically he needs two. Not everyone is PEH and Kane's already a player known for having to manage his stamina.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me, but I really enjoyed the game today. As far as I'm concerned, we came from behind three times and got the win. Yes, it was a roller coaster of a game, but I'd rather that than a boring 1-0 or losses like the last two games at home. We should appreciate the 'never say die' attitude that we showed. It doesn't really bother me that much to concede, as long as we score one more than the opposition.
I have run out of superlatives to describe Hot Rod, MOTM beyond doubt. I didn't think he was much of a goal scorer, but he's been a God-send for us this season. I love the way he sees a pass and executes it quite quickly. If we play with three midfielders, then I would be tempted to play him in an attacking position.
I've been trying to defend Emerson, thinking he was unfairly rated, but today I just couldn't find the words - poor beggar was awful. I did feel sorry for him though, as the biggest cheer of the the afternoon was when he was substituted. There's got to be some reason why he keeps getting picked, but the answer eludes me, I'm afraid.
Looking forward to Contecam, wonder how high will he jump when we scored the fourth?
The playing of the Last Post was very emotional and the minute's silence was impeccably observed.
My friend's little boy took his place on Chirpy's Parade at the beginning of the game and he looked really happy to take part.
It's strange to think that we haven't got any more games for a couple of months, will experience withdrawal symptoms. But I'm off on holiday next week, making the most of the winter break.
Anyway, I'm sleepy now, so good night all xx

Last edited:
The Italy team that won the last Euro’s wasn’t passive/reactive and played some good football, and they didn’t have the player resources Deschamps has had. Likewise the 2014 WC winners Germany, who played some very proactive football. The Spanish team team that won WC and Euros 2010/12 played totally proactive football.
Hmmm im sceptical of your claims (but I am biased).

France played the game of the tournament against Argentina where they were deserved winners (xg 2.2 v 0.8) and completely outplayed Belgium in the semifinal (xg 1.7 v 0.4). Then they won the final 4-2.

They were behind for something like 8 minutes all tournament - before that ridiculous Pavard banger (goal of the tournament?).

No one really doubted that France were the best team in the tournament and deserved to win.

To me all of the above does not fit with the claim that the team were reactive. They had excellent balance and could defend very well but they were also able to carve teams open as they did in commanding victories over the best teams they faced.

(As you mention Germany in 2014… I remember them being lucky against Algeria who should have beaten them, and then outplayed by France who had more chances… )

Richie isn't 'shit.' He's just never a 60 million player. He's a rotation player for a top 4 team.
none of these players are worth that dough though. whats the standard we are comparing them to for good value? if iwobi is 30, sanchez is 40, ndombele is 60, gio is 40, maguire is 80 etc etc etc....richarlison for 60 isnt that bad.

that touch round the defender is the goal, takes the defender out the game, commits the goalkeeper to create an open goal and pulls the other defender out of position too. shame hes the only player we have in the entire squad with that quality. thats elite attacking football.

that one touch ruined both relevant defenders and the keeper lol. class

I rate Conte higher.

People forget how poor we were the two seasons before Conte.

Fair enough but there’s still large periods of our play that’s also poor to watch!

Bearing in mind we were playing Leeds at home and we still nearly screwed it up!

Fair enough but there’s still large periods of our play that’s also poor to watch!

Bearing in mind we were playing Leeds at home and we still nearly screwed it up!
Today was exciting but our defenders made individual errors.

Conte has his flaws, he is stubborn with certain selections and doesn’t rotate players enough which causes fatigue.
However he’s still a class coach who we should back in Jan.

What about Peps dreadful record in Europe? (excluding with Barca as the bloke who cuts the oranges at half time could have managed them to success).

Pep's record in Europe is far better than Conte's, even if you take Barca out of the equation he's reached multiple semi finals & a final.

Conte has a win rate in the CL of like 30 odd percent. His teams have gone out at group stage level 3 times & he's never got past a quarter final.

that touch round the defender is the goal, takes the defender out the game, commits the goalkeeper to create an open goal and pulls the other defender out of position too. shame hes the only player we have in the entire squad with that quality. thats elite attacking football.

that one touch ruined both relevant defenders and the keeper lol. class
Everything you said about Kulu is true. He deserves the utmost praise. But I disagree that he's the only one who has the vision, touch, passing, and footballing intelligence to execute that. I'd argue that we've seen Kane pull off some equally, if not more, outrageous creative play over the last few years. He was doing it at the end of last season with Kulu, which was making them both so dangerous and facilitating the large scorelines that the team can't seem to achieve for love nor money this season. (Today, with both of them playing again, albeit with Kulu contributing to a greater extent, we see an immediate bounce back towards that trend.)

The reason Kane's not playing Hollywood-ball at the moment - to be fair, he did execute a lovely through ball to start that move and enable Kulu to run onto it with precision timing - is that he's gassed to the point where he shouldn't even be playing. He's running at 80% max. But, well, Kane at 80% is still one of the finest strikers around and will score given a single chance, as we saw today.

Everything you said about Kulu is true. He deserves the utmost praise. But I disagree that he's the only one who has the vision, touch, passing, and footballing intelligence to execute that. I'd argue that we've seen Kane pull off some equally, if not more, outrageous creative play over the last few years. He was doing it at the end of last season with Kulu, which was making them both so dangerous and facilitating the large scorelines that the team can't seem to achieve for love nor money this season. (Today, with both of them playing again, albeit with Kulu contributing to a greater extent, we see an immediate bounce back towards that trend.)

The reason Kane's not playing Hollywood-ball at the moment - to be fair, he did execute a lovely through ball to start that move and enable Kulu to run onto it with precision timing - is that he's gassed to the point where he shouldn't even be playing. He's running at 80% max. But, well, Kane at 80% is still one of the finest strikers around and will score given a single chance, as we saw today.
oh yea kanes class, i agree hes playing at around 80%, well see what hes like at the world cup because i think hes been holding back a bit for it.

the one thing about kulu though is he can run with the ball, so everytime he gets it he can go direct because if a pass isnt on he can just run at a defender and go either way, kanes not got that mobility.

Back
Top Bottom