Another new manager poll (apologies)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which of the 3 favourites would you pick as new manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Benitez has been round the block. He's got the experience cum knowledge of the PL to handle that bombastic twat at Chelski and Deidrie Barlow at Woolwich plus he has managed the bin dippers with trophies. He get' s my vote.

Any more facts you would like to state from your glass ball?

One of Europe's top managers in the last 10 years a disaster for the Mighty Spurs in favour of some no mark who has a shitter record than Pullis

Laughable

What is laughable is your deliberate intent to cause friction.

I might not have written "IMO" several times through that post, but it is clearly my opinion.

Benitez is a very good, and successful coach, but I just dont think he will fit with us at all. Apart from being somewhat erratic I think the biggest issue would be the style of play - it just wouldnt win him any support.

Redknapp was a jobbing manager of lower level teams. No experience of the top level at all, or europe, or the sort of resources we had.

He was absolutely a gamble, IMO.
Actually, he was what was needed. We were bottom of the table and he had a history of saving teams from relegation. I don't think anybody expected more than that from him. He just went on and did well.

Interesting though that Arsespace is using it as a xenophobic a argument against foreign managers when he himself is either a foreigner making himself out to be an expert on English football or a Briton who has gone to live abroad, taking homes and jobs away from South African natives. He should be the last one making the xenophobia argument. Mind you, hyperbole from the self admitted troll I suppose.

I think Levy wants De Boer, this extract from the THST minutes seems to describe him and preclude Benitez:

DL explained that we needed a manager who believed in our football philosophy, where we would be entertained
DL stated we have a very good group of players at the Club and, ideally, we want someone who can bring the best out of experienced players and bring through youth, too

Not calling you out personally ArcspacE ArcspacE but it is also reactions like this which make me think Pochettino is a bad choice. He will divide fans straight away with a number wanting his head after 1 game just because they feel he's similar to AVB. Frank De Boer at least commands respect from his time as a playe (I hope).
I don't think he's similar to AVB - I think his worse than AVB and that's beyond the glaringly obvious statistics, etc.

If AVB was a lateral move from Redknapp (and Sherwood a step-back) - then shouldn't we expect someone who would improve us and actually signal a positive move?

Having said that - any name would divide the fans as the last 3-4 managers have demonstrated so there's no win/win really - as long as we move forward

On a personal level - I would be severely disappointed and worried if we appointed this no-mark man

As stated before, this season in the premiership they lost only one more game than us - but drew 5 more. The difference is less significant than you might think, considering the squad he is using...

Whoever we bring in, they need time. Whichever manager is given the job, they need at least two years and full control over signings. Having Baldini at the club is good if he's advising a manager on who to sign, but the manager needs the final say. Redknapp claimed he had little say and AVB's signings were possibly Baldini choices. Baffles me that Levy hasn't seen that yet.

For what it's worth, Sherwood said on Goals on Sunday that Baldini consults closely with the manager and nobody is signed without the managers agreement.

I don't suspect I'd be as distressed as it seems Arc would be, but I do have to agree with him in being disappointed with a Poch appointment. I just do not see any overwhelming advantages to him over de Boer, while the ones from de Boer are simply so conducive to what we need at the moment.

I'm fairly sure that when you are in the middle of a period of employment that you have a contract for - and your boss tells you to fuck off, and pays you to leave - its a sacking.
If it makes you feel better about him, then lets say that he sacked Tottenham - at which point I'm sure that Levy would have been screwing him or his next employers for every penny.
But he didn't, did he?
It might have been reasonably amicable, and probably came as a relief for AVB, as he realised that one way or another, he was out of his depth.

If you have a contract and you argue with the boss and walk out during a meeting saying "I quit" then it's not a sacking, but if your boss says "do you think you should stay" and you say "I don't think I can do the job any more" and your boss agrees, what is that? I think that's more likely to be what happened, and it's neither sacking or resigning, just kind of mutual

For what it's worth, Sherwood said on Goals on Sunday that Baldini consults closely with the manager and nobody is signed without the managers agreement.

You do realise absolutely no-one will take this on board and you will still see plenty of "DOF brought this player over the managers head" nonsense

Without being really negative I can just seen nothing but AVB Version 2 with Pochettino. Sacked after 18 months (max) and we'll THEN go back in for De Boer who by that point will be looking at a different job. Hoping I'm wrong but it's just too spursy not to happen.

For me its
1 Benitez
2 FDB
3 MP (I'm not even going to try spelling his name)

My beef with MP is that I think the squad need someone to pull them together and instill a bit of confidence (even when some supporters yell different) - I'm not sure how well his translator will do in this regard.

I know it's probably the feverish almost child-like excitement I have built up over the start of the World Cup (23 days to go!!! Fuck yeah!!!), and the sheer size of this excitement meaning I simply have no space left to be interested in Spurs until mid-July, but my take on this is: all the fellas mentioned are good managers, with good records and good methods, so as long as we get one of them it'll be cool.

And if he turns out shit we'll sack him and and get another one.

As long as Paul Ince or Brian Robson aren't announced tomorrow I'm good.

I feel FDB is going to be a gamble like AVB was, a young guy who has won trophies, but for who Tottenham would be his biggest challenge (let's ignore AVB's time at Chelsea, because it seemed Levy did). He might turn out to be good, but I can only see another heart breaking the season after next (like this one) with FDB onboard, after promising so much in his first season. Just another manager Levy sacked.

Benitez on the other hand is proven at this level, and I feel I'll know what we'll get. A decent league performance along with good cup runs. And some improvements in the players we have in the squad already. I'll take that. I just don't want no broken dreams anymore.

Benitez is a very good, and successful coach, but I just dont think he will fit with us at all. Apart from being somewhat erratic I think the biggest issue would be the style of play - it just wouldnt win him any support.
Why would he not fit with us, especially after AVB's football?

His teams have consistently scored goals and played expansive football - if that was the main gripe with AVB surely the majority of fans should respond positively to that? And if not - what exactly is the issue with a man who has delivered in the past in Europe's top leagues

You say we should gamble but the last 2 such moves with Ramos and AVB were disasters - shouldn't we now opt for a proven, experienced name to steady the ship instead of giving some no-mark and opportunity to play real-life FM with a 200m squad and improve his CV? How many more projects can ENIC manage to handle and continue to swipe it under the carpet?

As to gambles I would say Jol was a gamble, and was a success. I would also say Redknapp was a gamble and its certainly hard to argue with his record.
Redknapp wasn't a gamble in the slightest - proven PL manager with bags of experience - exactly what we needed at the time. Not some Johnny Foreigner with a few random wins under his belly.

Redknapp wasn't a gamble in the slightest - proven PL manager with bags of experience - exactly what we needed at the time. Not some Johnny Foreigner with a few random wins under his belly.

Redknapp was a jobbing manager of lower level teams. No experience of the top level at all, or europe, or the sort of resources we had.

He was absolutely a gamble, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom