Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The two wingers that Ange started against Liverpool he sanctioned 80m on in the summer. So either Ange has poor talent ID for his system, or can't coach them up to standard. Which is it?
the johnson signing is probably what he would of wanted at celtic. would probably look world class against partick thistle and co.

him buying counter attacking forwards for his possession based system is extremely worrying. johnson and son are what you bring on when youre 2 up and the other side have to show a pair of bollox and come out.

Did you see our last few games and does it fill you win confidence of not only cruising to 4th next season (which is losers mentality as you imply) but actually achieving glory and go up the most successful clubs as you put it. No irony, just a serious question.

I've watched the games and I understand the concerns. However, I've been following Ange since his Brisbane Roar days. This is part of the process. Tottenham will come good.

Lol @ putting “title” and “Postecoglou” in the same sentence. He should be focused on getting Tottenham back into top 4 next season, cause I think he won’t be sacked at the end of the season.

But with Chelsea emerging as a top 4 contender, Newcastle wanting to get back in Champions League after having a taste of it, Woolwich and City the tip of the spear by the looks of it, depending how Liverpool and United do this summer and under new managers (maybe not the case for United), possibly Villa will be in the mix too although I suspect Champions League will take a toll on their league results, the competition will be fiercer than it was this season.

So yeah, good luck getting “second season” title challenge or whatever the fuck you lot think we’ll be doing next season.

Pep won the EPL in his second season but it is hard for any club to compare to them from a financial point of view.

Klopp won the EPL in his 5th season.

Arteta has been at Woolwich since 2019 and has not won the EPL.

I've watched the games and I understand the concerns. However, I've been following Ange since his Brisbane Roar days. This is part of the process. Tottenham will come good.

With all due respect, the Premier League is the toughest league in the world. Each week you're competing against world class managers, Ange's experience in Australia or the pub league north of the border is simply not relevant.

Pep won the EPL in his second season but it is hard for any club to compare to them from a financial point of view.

Klopp won the EPL in his 5th season.

Arteta has been at Woolwich since 2019 and has not won the EPL.

Klopp had won the Bundesliga twice and reached the CL final with Dortmund. He was widely regarded as one of the best managers on the planet when he took charge at Liverpool. He also inherited a garbage squad and took them to two finals in his first season.

I fail to see what similarities Ange shares with Klopp.

I doubt any of them were Ange's picks for what it is worth.

My point is that someone else usually selects the transfers and their suitability for the team or the manager is just one of the governing factors.

Emerson Royal was bought for Nuno by (Hitchen?) Paratici or possibly somebody else.

Royal finds himself being today's whipping boy and this is a recurring situation under multiple managers.

Outside of a thumbs up/down (ie final approval) there is a tonne of work that goes in to identifying (which includes complying with rules, quotas etc.), scouting and getting player to commit to terms before Ange gives his approval.

So when I hear shit like "I don't know what Ange saw in Johnson", there is just a shit-tonne of context being left on the table.

For all those comparing this season with previous ones I have only two words:
Harry Kane.
Well here are a few more words for consideration:

Micky Van De Ven
Maddison
Vicario
Udogie
Pape Sarr
Pedro Porro
Gio Lo Celso
Dragusin

There's no denying we miss Kane but the team is considerably more balanced this season than the last few years. Look at the squad Conte had when he joined and tell me this one isn't levels above.

And the back 5 is top drawer, way too good to be conceding as many goals as we are. If Kane were in our team right now he wouldn't be making us any tighter at the back.

Outside of a thumbs up/down (ie final approval) there is a tonne of work that goes in to identifying (which includes complying with rules, quotas etc.), scouting and getting player to commit to terms before Ange gives his approval.

So when I hear shit like "I don't know what Ange saw in Johnson", there is just a shit-tonne of context being left on the table.
I think it was pretty obvious to most who'd seen him at Forest that Brennan was an inside forward, best on the transition. Hence why counter attacking teams like Brentford wanted him so badly.

Never, ever a touchline winger for a possession based team.

Anyone worth their salt could see that Brennan Johnson was not the answer. Cant believe we blew 47m on him to boot. Then we bring in Timo Werner. TBF he has done ok, but if thats what we are about I give up.

It’ll all be okay once ‘Angel’s system is bedded in’. We need a load of technical players to play a Brazil 1970 style and we can just disregard pesky rudimentary chores of the game like defending set pieces. They score 3, we’ll score 4.
Nothing wrong with that last sentence - at least, it won't be boring!
Tired School GIF by Bounce

Does Ange think its OK that

Kulu nearly never goes on the outside of the defender ?
we never play an early long ball ?
playing out from the back once their players move forward we don't play fast balls?

we all know he thinks set pieces don't matter

he's tied to his system, no matter what players we have available

For me I want a manager who can play many styles/formations (using the same 11-15 players) that means he has to coach,

Back
Top Bottom