Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We will never known. A back 5 with Drag,Cuti and VDV at centre backs and Porro and Udogie playing as wing backs does sound very good. Put three really good midfielders in there and two excellent strikers and it’s a completely different look to what we have now but under Ange we’ll never know because he won’t ever play a back 3 or 5.

He did do with the national team

The proof in the Ange pudding comes next year and the one after that.
Have to pick this up. I dont think there are many if any instances of a Tottenham manager in 30 years getting a third year if he hasnt done much. Jol possibly but 2 5th placed finishes for us then was seen as a decent return. I'd say the test is showing a lot more by November next season or he'll be in trouble. Not saying thats right or wrong its just the way we operate.

But you’d still expect to see progress over that 1st season and unfortunately we’re doing the opposite. Most of us agree that a large part of the story is that teams have worked us out (vs the beginning of the season where we had the element of surprise).

I think it's mostly:

- Players underperforming. That much is obvious. Maddison, Bissouma, Porro and Udogie all nowhere near the level they were at earlier in the season. Lack of decent depth to challenge them hasn't helped.

- Set pieces. We didn't concede a single goal direct from a corner until February. And up until then, had conceded just 22 goals from open play (with 12 of those being with Royal/Davies as a centre back pairing)

I don't think teams are playing much differently against us tbh.

Most of the lower teams have sat back against us all season, unless they were ridiculously naive like Burnley or Fulham when they came to the Lane.

It wouldn't have taken 10 games for these managers to suddenly find a way to win against us. There's been a lot of mitigating circumstances.

The drop in form in players like Mads, Son, Biss and Kulu (he was better yday but still) has pretty much killed us. I’m willing to give Ange the benefit of the doubt here and suggest this isn’t his responsibility but it’s worrying that these players who we assumed were going to be our bedrock moving forwards, appear now to be nothing of the sort

Yeah, I would say this.

Injuries have hit us hard. And it seems like the rhythm and confidence was knocked out of those players in the process.

One thing I've disliked is how the likes of Lo Celso has been treated though. He should have started more games for us this season.

Defensively is where Ange deserves most of his criticism. We have individually brilliant defensive players and just shouldn’t be conceding so many easy chances and goals. This has got worse over the season when we have had plenty of downtime (no Europe and out of cups) to work on it.
Plus his tinkering of that midfield is bloody infuriating- work out your 1st choice midfield FFS!!!

Again, I think depth a massive issue here also.

When we've had our starting back five of Vicario, Porro, van de Ven, Romero and Udogie. We've conceded just 12 goals from open play.... TWELVE.

Granted, they've only started together 20 games. Over the course of a season, that's 23 goals conceded....

We conceded 4 goals against Wolves over two games. One game we had Dier and Davies at centre back with Emerson at left back. The other we had Davies and Emerson at full back... Conceded 3 against Fulham, no VDV... Conceded 3 yesterday, no Udogie... 4 goals against Brighton... Had a Royal/Davies CB pairing...

Newcastle was the only game that included all five that we'd conceded more than 2 goals in a game...

The pressure is on him now and as is ever the question, how much is that bloody chairman going to help him.

Summer is key.

Thanks for proving your inability to read and comprehend.

You're someone who, like a few others I've popped on permanent ignore this morning, I have no interest in engaging with any further.

Just know this. You're not a spurs fan. You're a Putin lover and you don't belong on this forum. You haven't got a scooby doo what you're talking about, and I don't give a fuck what you have to say. I have ZERO respect for you or the minority of "fans" who think like you.

You're welcome. Don't bother wasting your time replying - I promise you I won't be reading any more of your stupid, pointless obnoxious posts.

NEVER quote me again.
Listen you cunt, I am done with your trash copy pastas. If you don’t have any arguments, show some humility and shut the fuck up.

You wanna keep simping for Postecoglou? Go ahead and fucking do it, who gives a flying fuck what you choose to do. Don’t think you can patronise me or anyone else on this forum, you deluded mug.

It was an odd game, we've played worse and won but they didnt need to run us ragged as they were coasting at 2-0 after 25 minutes and could just soak up pressure. It was a massive game for us, both to stop them and get CL and they only had to put in minimal effort to have the game won after 38 minutes. The frustating thing is they were there for the taking but we're just so vunerable and naive we just handed it to them.

It reminded me of the CL final against Liverpool. We were “better” than them only because we gifted them the game and they never had to actually play.

That's exactly what we do in our third. And fans moan about it constantly.

Again, and sorry if I'm repeating myself, the issue stems from the lack of technical ability in the final third. We lose the ball far too easily. Whether it's Kulusevski, Johnson, Werner, Maddison, Son... They give up possession too easily and then the counter is on. Every single time.

Son against Newcastle twice. Maddison against Woolwich. Kulusevski against Luton. Bissouma against Wolves..

We played a high line with Pochettino in charge. Sometimes with Vertonghen and Davies on our left side... But you know what? We had Eriksen and Kane in our attack, who would hold possession incredibly well, you had Dembele and Wanyama who'd win it back as soon as it was lost...

Forest could have scored a fair few goals yesterday against City on counter attacks.... They happen. It's football. But what City do well is limit oppnenents those chances to a few a game overall because they're so exceptional at keeping the ball and when losing it, either commiting a foul and getting away with it or just winning it back.

We're not the finished article. Our technical ability in the final third is not even top 5 in the league. And it shows.
I agree some moan, I hate us doing it when we're level, but doing it and coming away with a 1-0 win is much preferable to not doing it and drawing 1-1 against West Ham. One is momentary frustration, the other is lasting.

Part of me is only wary of the calm possession routine due to historical cases of us attempting to see out a narrow win only to bollocks it up out of nowhere and concede late on. However, there is a balance, which the current regime seem to refuse to adopt, of maintaining an attacking threat whilst remaining solid at the back.

The main problem for me is that for all of this defensive disregard, we don't look threatening at the other end anyway. We just lump everyone forward and slowly pass sideways between ourselves. As soon as we lose it it's one lump up the pitch and we've given up a 1 on 1 on the keeper.

The coach can't see that his forwards lack the technical quality to play the way he wants to play, but just play that way anyway because hopefully next season we'll have better forwards. One, it's bold of him to assume he'll definitely be here the way things are piling up now, and two it's bold of him to assume he will definitely get the requisite quality if he is...

Besides which, if your system is so dependant on having specific wonder players in order to make it work, is it really that much of an ingenious system? Couldn't everyone just adopt the "let's have the best players" system? At what point should a coach adapt his system to suit the players he actually has rather than the ones he wants?

Still Ange in. But I don’t think we will challenge for the league next year. Or get Top 4. So will be very very happy to be proved wrong.

But I’m not calling for a managers head when we are clearly in a year 1 of this rebuild for manager 4 in 5 years.

Absolutely clueless at the very top.
:levyeyes:

Let’s see what Thursday brings anyway. I’m expecting more pain. C’est la vie.

It reminded me of the CL final against Liverpool. We were “better” than them only because we gifted them the game and they never had to actually play.

I thought we were better pre gifting them the game, in fairness. We started on the front foot and had them mostly pinned back. But then I think they were nervous as hell and ripe for a collapse had things gone awry - that moment Partey gave it away early on was really poor. Tomiyasu had another moment like it as well.

I just don't think being 'better' counts for much here. Arteta clearly viewed this as an away game against a side good in possession where trying to have control wasn't the best route. They wanted to hit us on set-pieces and on transition. They achieved this.

I think it's mostly:

- Players underperforming. That much is obvious. Maddison, Bissouma, Porro and Udogie all nowhere near the level they were at earlier in the season. Lack of decent depth to challenge them hasn't helped.

- Set pieces. We didn't concede a single goal direct from a corner until February. And up until then, had conceded just 22 goals from open play (with 12 of those being with Royal/Davies as a centre back pairing)

I don't think teams are playing much differently against us tbh.

Most of the lower teams have sat back against us all season, unless they were ridiculously naive like Burnley or Fulham when they came to the Lane.

It wouldn't have taken 10 games for these managers to suddenly find a way to win against us. There's been a lot of mitigating circumstances.

Yeah, I would say this.

Injuries have hit us hard. And it seems like the rhythm and confidence was knocked out of those players in the process.

One thing I've disliked is how the likes of Lo Celso has been treated though. He should have started more games for us this season.

Again, I think depth a massive issue here also.

When we've had our starting back five of Vicario, Porro, van de Ven, Romero and Udogie. We've conceded just 12 goals from open play.... TWELVE.

Granted, they've only started together 20 games. Over the course of a season, that's 23 goals conceded....

We conceded 4 goals against Wolves over two games. One game we had Dier and Davies at centre back with Emerson at left back. The other we had Davies and Emerson at full back... Conceded 3 against Fulham, no VDV... Conceded 3 yesterday, no Udogie... 4 goals against Brighton... Had a Royal/Davies CB pairing...

Newcastle was the only game that included all five that we'd conceded more than 2 goals in a game...

Summer is key.
A collective drop off, and I'd say it's more than just those listed, is a red flag though surely?

Totally agree with you on GLC btw, he came in and did really well in limited minutes when there was no other option, and has been rewarded with a few 5 minutes cameos ever since.

Stuff like that doesn't do much for morale surely, the players in the first xi see it and realise they can get comfy, the players on the fringes see it and realise there's no point busting a gut.

Have to pick this up. I dont think there are many if any instances of a Tottenham manager in 30 years getting a third year if he hasnt done much. Jol possibly but 2 5th placed finishes for us then was seen as a decent return. I'd say the test is showing a lot more by November next season or he'll be in trouble. Not saying thats right or wrong its just the way we operate.
Agree. Everyone can see the benefits but we can also see the warts. It's the ability / desire to manage the small changes that's the issue.

I agree some moan, I hate us doing it when we're level, but doing it and coming away with a 1-0 win is much preferable to not doing it and drawing 1-1 against West Ham. One is momentary frustration, the other is lasting.

Obviously....

Part of me is only wary of the calm possession routine due to historical cases of us attempting to see out a narrow win only to bollocks it up out of nowhere and concede late on. However, there is a balance, which the current regime seem to refuse to adopt, of maintaining an attacking threat whilst remaining solid at the back.

If only we had an attacking threat.

The main problem for me is that for all of this defensive disregard, we don't look threatening at the other end anyway. We just lump everyone forward and slowly pass sideways between ourselves. As soon as we lose it it's one lump up the pitch and we've given up a 1 on 1 on the keeper.

Bingo.

Improve that front three and we'll be on to a winner.

The coach can't see that his forwards lack the technical quality to play the way he wants to play, but just play that way anyway because hopefully next season we'll have better forwards. One, it's bold of him to assume he'll definitely be here the way things are piling up now, and two it's bold of him to assume he will definitely get the requisite quality if he is...

I think it's pretty obvious he can see it. Hence why we want a new winger and striker in the summer..

Besides which, if your system is so dependant on having specific wonder players in order to make it work, is it really that much of an ingenious system? Couldn't everyone just adopt the "let's have the best players" system? At what point should a coach adapt his system to suit the players he actually has rather than the ones he wants?

No system is ingenious and every single system requires key components. You don't need the best players for a system to work. Just ones to suit.

Why any coach would willingly adapt their system to inferior players is beyond me. If you can't play the way the manager wants, then you shouldn't be playing for the club he's managing.

That's the whole point of having a scouting department.

I agree with the sentiment and like your post, but…

… as a STH for around 30 years, and having backed the club home and away for all of ENIC’s tenure, I and all of us have been very patient. Spurs fans have been waiting a generation for things to come good.

I don’t want to be cynical but history means I can’t help wondering whether, when Levy was smugly sat next to Ange at the Fans Forum earlier in the season, proclaiming we had got our “club back”, what he was really inferring was that we had simply found another romantic mug for us to get behind and squeeze out another round of the most expensive season tickets and hospitality in world football.
Very true.

I'm with Ange for another season. And I think we should get 2-3 really top players this summer. But next season we have to be Top 4, have more points than this season, and have a deep cup run or two. Otherwise he should be out. Sadly we can't sack Levy, so no point saying it will be a problem for him. It's a football club - people give him money regardless of the shite his teams serve up.

Fully agree. Outside the new manager bounce, a manager normally hits their stride with a team by the end of the first season, or early the next. Think Poch during mid 2015, Redknapp 2009/10 or the end of Conte's first season.

Or this season, look at the excellent form of Bournemouth with their new manager since November.

I truly hope we see Ange ball coming to fruition by the Autumn, and I wouldn't be sacking him next season unless and until the wheels completely fall off.

I do like Ange and his ethos but the jury is very much out on whether it'll take us higher than the cusp of CL qualification.

Beyond that it takes a truly special coach to consistently outperform the level that the club sets by its budget and the board strategy.

A collective drop off, and I'd say it's more than just those listed, is a red flag though surely?

Wouldn't say so. Lack of competition is a thing.

Regarding Porro though, I think he's been fine. But his output considerably dipped as soon as Maddison came back in the team.

Udogie has been off form a few weeks but I think he's been nursing an injury. But again, no real depth.

Totally agree with you on GLC btw, he came in and did really well in limited minutes when there was no other option, and has been rewarded with a few 5 minutes cameos ever since.

A shame. But I guess his future isn't here.

Stuff like that doesn't do much for morale surely, the players in the first xi see it and realise they can get comfy, the players on the fringes see it and realise there's no point busting a gut.

To be honest, I don't think we can criticise the effort of those players on the fringes, they always seem to come on and put in a shift.

I love how people say this so flippantly. Like it'll be easy. We spent 45m pounds on Brennan Johnson, who was apparently an Ange choice. We brought in Werner. We have a 60m forward at the club. Son is declining so we have to 'improve' the front three whilst handling his transition.

But yes, if we had Neymar, Suarez & Messi up front, we'd probably be better. But then, so would any system on the fucking planet. Considering the club has spent 100m+ on forwards and we haven't succeeded on this super-duper-easy mission of improving the front three, you'll forgive me if I don't view it as a given in the summer.

FFS.
The bloke has taken on a new league with a new team.
Don't you think he is feeling his way into it? He has to learn about the team as well as the opposition teams.
If you started in a new job, would you expect to be employee of the year straight away?

Give Ange a break!
In the four leagues he's coached, he's won the comps in his second year with them.

So next season, when he wins some silverware, you Inferior fans will be all cock a hoop and saying that you backed him the whole time.
Then if there are two losses in a row, the knives will be out again.
We won't win any silverware next season.

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

Obviously....

If only we had an attacking threat.

Bingo.

I think it's pretty obvious he can see it. Hence why we want a new winger and striker in the summer..

No system is ingenious and every single system requires key components. You don't need the best players for a system to work. Just ones to suit.

Why any coach would willingly adapt their system to inferior players is beyond me. If you can't play the way the manager wants, then you shouldn't be playing for the club he's managing.

That's the whole point of having a scouting department.
Because outside of a very select few clubs, that's what you have to do.

Again, it's not much of a manager/coach that requires everything condition to be absolutely perfect to make something work.

If you look at a club and see a bunch of players that don't remotely fit your philosophy, and you can't mould them into something to function in it, then maybe don't take the job then? That's on him.

I thought the point of our new set up was for the club to identify players to fit the style we anted so that managerial changes don't require immediate overhauls every few years, not to shred all their plans and chase after whatever a new coach demands?

It wouldn't be adapting his system for the sake of the players, it would be tweaking his system for his own sake, to get results, to have success, to then be able to go into the next TW and demand player a, b or c to improve further still. You can't take the job, throw your arms in the air and complain about how shit your forwards are, without even trying a different approach, and expect to be taken seriously in the TW requesting this that or the other.

It's a cop out to be confronted with the question of why things aren't working, to just say "well the players aren't good enough". A bit of humility from the manager in admitting maybe his plan isn't perfect would be beneficial.

And what is the plan anyway, go out and play better football than them? That's great as an aim, but you have to do some work between games to achieve that, and there's so little evidence of that on display right now it's beyond frustrating. The more time he's had with them, the less they seem to perform.

That's a bad sign.

Back
Top Bottom