Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Come on, you can't really believe that?

I'm not saying that there are any cast iron certs that were realistic appointments, but no manager on the planet???

I'm not trying to needlessly pile in on Ange, but no manager on the planet (realistic or otherwise) could have done better than a 1 point haul from the 4 games against Wolves and West Ham? Than getting pumped at Newcastle and Fulham? Than limply ceding a 3 goal lead in one half at home to our bitterest rivals through our own naivity, recklessness, stubbornness, and arrogance?

No one on the planet???
I’m not talking about individual games but as a whole season mate. At the start of the season we would all have been happy to be sitting reasonably comfortable in 5th with a possibility of 4th at this stage.

Do you think our starting eleven is the best it can be or do you think it can be improved?

Set pieces are a different thing altogether. And yes, I'd suggest us improving the staff to be able to improve that also.
The set pieces are an issue and yes staff need to direct that but the players need to have a pride in defending. They need to do their jobs and firstly stop conceding corners and then to stop conceding goals.

I think the pride and art of defending is going out of the game more and more now.

I don't think anyone called Conte a fraud because of the personnel he had at his disposal.

He knew our business model going in. I don't think Conte was a fraud in general. Just that for him to succeed, he needs to be part of a business model that will spend big and are happy to spend big. He's always succeeded at clubs that spend the most money or are one of the most successful clubs in their respective league.

He came across as someone who was above us and didn't fancy being here long term. Which is a fine mindset to have when you're at a Chelsea or Inter Milan who are going to back you heavily for that short period of time before you burn your bridges but we don't work like that.

Entrusting Conte with a rebuild, which we essentially tried to do, only to supply him with the likes of Ivan Perisic was a recipe for disaster. And it turned into exactly that.

In fact, Conte is a good example of not judging a coach on their first season. Again, if we're having this same conversation this time next year with regards to Ange then yes things have gone wrong.
I totally agree with everything you said, except Perisic. Ivan got 14 assists that season, he wasn't the issue. 🤣

Was a blatant foul too

But that’s the story of our season
I'd argue they are all fouls.

White tried to undo his gloves on the first one, and pushed him on the line for the second. He's being fouled. And it's being allowed.

Interestingly it was sorted for the second half, with Sarr having none of his bollocks and Oliver finally having a word. After he'd gifted them a 3-0 lead lol.

Who could have come in to Tottenham last summer with how toxic it was,lose the best striker we’ve had and make us any better than 4th or 5th?. There are many managers that could have come in and got us exactly the same position but there is no chance anybody could have got us challenging the top three for 38 games.
You're just quoting league position in isolation there to claim it as a decent season though.

Being in 5th come the end of the season doesn't make those games against West Ham, Wolves, and Fulham, acceptable. If anything it makes them even more infuriating, those are winnable games, and I don't care what anyone says about how strong PL is or taking nothing for granted, the players should have been going into those games saying "we're winning this".

We could have lost those games but played really well, dominated and been genuinely unlucky, and the outlook would have been much brighter. We didn't, we were poor in all and looked bereft of ideas, there have been no green shoots to provide optimism for a good while now.

Somebody in world football could have navigated those 5 games in particular and got more than one point. I don't have to provide a name to state that the notion that nobody on the planet could have done better this season is an insane claim.

What positive result have we achieved this season that you look at and think, only Ange could have overseen this?

I like the guy, I really do, I was all aboard his train not just in the first 10 games, but the games immediately after that (Wolves aside where I felt his selection was cowardly the moment I saw it) where I thought we performed really well under difficult circumstances. But I would never have predicted in January what was about to unfold.

I'd love for him to walk the walk as well as he talks the talk, but the evidence in his favour is diminishing with each passing game.

Remember back at the beginning of the season where commentators were literally purring over some of our passages of play? Feels like a good while since I've heard anything like that.

I totally agree with everything you said, except Perisic. Ivan got 14 assists that season, he wasn't the issue. 🤣

No no, nothing against Perisic as a player. I liked him and it's a shame he got injured this season.

I just meant he was 34 when we signed him and we put him on close to 200k a week.

No no, nothing against Perisic as a player. I liked him and it's a shame he got injured this season.

I just meant he was 34 when we signed him and we put him on close to 200k a week.
Yeah he wasn't a long term solution, he was cheap as chips and a Levy special.

This summer will be very interesting for sure.

I expect inconsistancy and some shitty results and performances. I dont expect a straight line of progress, problem if there is a straight line its heading in the opposite direction. I just cant see what signs of improvement we've seen for months now. We beat the bottom half teams at home, usually after a scare or 2 but other than Villa what was our last good result and performance? City or Newcastle in December?

This is a bit dramatic and everyone seems to be accepting it as fact.

We were good against Forest

Good for most of the game against Palace

Great second half against Brentford

It’s just that everywhere we go there is the stench of negativity from the past just waiting to sneak into the fanbase.

Changing the culture and installing real hope into this club is an almost impossible task

I’m not talking about individual games but as a whole season mate. At the start of the season we would all have been happy to be sitting reasonably comfortable in 5th with a possibility of 4th at this stage.
Absolutely, that is true.

But would you have been happy if someone told you we'd take 1 point from Wolves (H,A), West Ham (H,A) and Fulham (A)?

It would have been deemed a good season because back then we had no idea what to expect, right now I think it's silly to say anything other than "could have done better". Aspirations have to change with circumstances, the notion that 5th place would have been a good finish is the exact kind of mentality that sees you just switch off, if the players at the point of being within touching distance of 3rd/4th came out and said well y'know 5th is better than we were expecting 8 months ago so this is fine... You'd be fuming.

When Leicester won the league they didn't reach mathematical safety and then think, oh well beach time now then lads, they re-adjusted their aim, and they kept going all season and won the bloody title.

Which on reflection thank heavens they did, else we'd have no doubt been pipped on the final day by Woolwich!

Back
Top Bottom