Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We don't seem to ever have a shot outside the box anymore it's like most of our players have been advised not to shoot
looks like it...

the last person to let fly and got a result was Porro in a Cup game. 4 mnths ago?

we have been coached to play the ultra high line with our defenders in the opp. box.
we have been coached the horse-shoe formation for ball passing frm left to right and vice versa, No shooting allowed outside the penalty box

Last edited:
I actually thought we defended much better yesterday than we have for months. I didn’t see them scoring apart from at set pieces. The first half did go pretty much how I expected but that wasn’t due to how I thought they’d run us ragged in defence and they didn’t.
It was an odd game, we've played worse and won but they didnt need to run us ragged as they were coasting at 2-0 after 25 minutes and could just soak up pressure. It was a massive game for us, both to stop them and get CL and they only had to put in minimal effort to have the game won after 38 minutes. The frustating thing is they were there for the taking but we're just so vunerable and naive we just handed it to them.

I actually thought we defended much better yesterday than we have for months. I didn’t see them scoring apart from at set pieces. The first half did go pretty much how I expected but that wasn’t due to how I thought they’d run us ragged in defence and they didn’t.

I think part of that was the way they attacked. On a few occasions we lost the ball in the final third, but they moved it more slowly out of defence - opting to build through the midfield rather than do what Newcastle did, which was a direct ball to runners down the flanks. The one time they did do that, Saka scored. The direct balls they did try tended to be down the middle for VDV to gobble up.

We're far better against teams who play a passing attacking style than counter-attacking teams.

But you’re forgetting one key thing. This is Spurs. The only club where Mourinho hasnt won a trophy, where we expect the manager to operate with one hand tied behind his back in terms of transfers. Plus it’s a much harder league. As with Conte, we won’t give him the level of players to make his team a success. If he had Man City‘s players I’m sure he’d thrive but with us I’d give it a 25% chance at best for him to replicate what he’s done at other clubs. What’s much more likely is that he falls out with Levy and is gone by this time next year.

Absolutely.

We can only hope Paratici and Lange can unearth gems like Udogie, Vicario, van de Ven and hope Bergvall turns out to be an absolute stud.

There is a long way to go with Ange, I think elements of our play are good however there are clearly flaws that need to be worked on. I like how the team don't give up, the 2nd halfs are evidence of that, we do have a good record of clawing back points.

I'm keeping the faith, like Ange said styles of play and a mentality of being able to play a good style of football isn't built in however many months.

I for one am prepared to be patient because if you can't then is there any point, because you'll only be moaning in 7 months time again about the same old stuff.

There is a long way to go with Ange, I think elements of our play are good however there are clearly flaws that need to be worked on. I like how the team don't give up, the 2nd halfs are evidence of that, we do have a good record of clawing back points.

I'm keeping the faith, like Ange said styles of play and a mentality of being able to play a good style of football isn't built in however many months.

I for one am prepared to be patient because if you can't then is there any point, because you'll only be moaning in 7 months time again about the same old stuff.

A very fair post, and one which everyone on this forum should get behind.

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

Unsurprising given the half time score but this is a massive over-reaction. We beat Woolwich on pretty much all metrics except the most important one.

We are where we should be after Ange's first season. In fact probably overperormed. Next year is the key.

So....we didn't beat them then? Nothing else counts.

Okay . We should have won every single game of every single season ever. Nothing else counts.

We're all hurting but this is ridiculous. We played well enough to deserve something from that game. That is a vast improvement over last time they came to our gaff.

It was an odd game, we've played worse and won but they didnt need to run us ragged as they were coasting at 2-0 after 25 minutes and could just soak up pressure. It was a massive game for us, both to stop them and get CL and they only had to put in minimal effort to have the game won after 38 minutes. The frustating thing is they were there for the taking but we're just so vunerable and naive we just handed it to them.

Story of the season. To get played off the park is one thing, shake hands and the better man won. But to lose like this...

What concerns me most is that we're getting worse. If a rebuild is working you expect to be a bit dodgy at first, then an improvement in aspects of play but still inconsistant, then more consistancy as the players buy in to what you're doing. Bournemouth currently a good example or Pochs first season here. Our season has been the complete opposite, very good to start off then decent under difficult circumstances and now piss poor. Thats really not showing great long term signs.

A counter I would have to that is that a lot of the players haven’t been pulling their weight as much in the 2nd half of the season.

Maddison for example is crucial to how this system plays, but since he returned from his injury is a shadow of himself from the beginning of the season

Last edited:
So....we didn't beat them then? Nothing else counts.

The point he was clearly making is that there were some positives from that performance. It was by no means a bad one.

Obviously it's hard to take anything out of an NLD loss, especially in the day(s) following it, but he's not wrong in what he said.

Ultimately, of course the results are what counts, but that doesn't mean performances can't or shouldn't be analysed.

And do not try and interpret this as me being anything less than gutted than a loss to those south london scummers.

I fucking respect the stubborn insistence on attacking principles.

That was why we dominated those cheating cunts yesterday.

The set piece thing is a piss take though
Mate I expect you to be more intelligent when it comes to his comment about set pieces. Not for one second does he say it’s not a problem. Of course it is and he knows that but there’s lots of problems that are just as big for us to improve. Please don’t be one of the idiots mate 🤣

You and the rest of the superior fans every time we get our pants pulled down by one of our rivals

martin-freeman-who-cares.gif

Whoop whoop!

As much passion as a bunch of corpses.......Or Ange Postecogolou stood on the touchline. Take your pick
FFS.
The bloke has taken on a new league with a new team.
Don't you think he is feeling his way into it? He has to learn about the team as well as the opposition teams.
If you started in a new job, would you expect to be employee of the year straight away?

Give Ange a break!
In the four leagues he's coached, he's won the comps in his second year with them.

So next season, when he wins some silverware, you Inferior fans will be all cock a hoop and saying that you backed him the whole time.
Then if there are two losses in a row, the knives will be out again.

Maybe he thinks training set pieces would distract the lads from winning those all important possession stats??
The one thing with training set pieces is you could practice them for 10 hours a day every day but if that delivery is perfect,the run is timed right and the finish is bang on then you can’t do fuck all about it.

What we need to work on is who is picking up,who
is in the zones and the body positioning of those in the zones. Also Vic needs to come and take corners more and take the pressure off.

There’s no way of stopping it if the opposition do the things I mentioned but we are still conceding when the delivery and run isn’t perfect. We will always concede goals over the season as every team does but at this moment in time our players are not taking responsibility at corners.

No they haven't.

They are saying that nobody can become Pep without time to build something and it will look and feel ugly during the time they build.

You just misunderstood what they are saying.
No, I get what they are saying, I just think it's tremendously blinkered to ignore all of the portents of doom that are on display for all to see, just because "time"...

To have faith that time will see things come together you have to see some fragments that can click into place. Where are these signs presently? That we have lots of possession?

We've all seen this unfold before, we know how Tottenham Hotspur the team respond to adversity, do you see us rising like a resurgent phoenix? Or do you see us spiralling into a well of self-pity?.

Did Hoddle just need more time? Did Ramos? AVB? Mourinho? Nuno? Giving some of them more time could have genuinely ended in a relegation.

The one thing with training set pieces is you could practice them for 10 hours a day every day but if that delivery is perfect,the run is timed right and the finish is bang on then you can’t do fuck all about it.

What we need to work on is who is picking up,who
is in the zones and the body positioning of those in the zones. Also Vic needs to come and take corners more and take the pressure off.

There’s no way of stopping it if the opposition do the things I mentioned but we are still conceding when the delivery and run isn’t perfect. We will always concede goals over the season as every team does but at this moment in time our players are not taking responsibility at corners.

Yes there is, both corners the keeper should be clearing everything, the reason why he couldn't do that was because he kept being man marked.

This was happening earlier in the season, we stuck a player on the marker but we stopped fucking doing it for some reason, absolutely infuriating especially against them, they've got the best record in the league for set pieces so it was obvious they were gonna do that.

Back
Top Bottom