Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who are these players keeping out of the Spurs starting 11?

Martinez is obvious but Vicario is at least his equal in my opinion.
Bailey starts of the right and rotates with Johnson.

Douglas Luiz starts for us IMO he's a better option than anything we have as a shield.

Martinez is different to Vicario; but he isn't bullied on corners. 🤣

Needs to drop the casual laid back aussie persona who doesn't worry about anything. Not wanting a set piece coach, not showing any variance in style due to the occasion. There really is no problem with going long and competing for the second ball high up the pitch. Passing out from the back carries risk and if you wed yourself to it, the other team can spring their press traps. "its the only why I know how to play, mate". Yeah we know, and you can be sure Arteta knew this too. A turnover that led to corner which they scored from. A direct counter with a long diagonal ball to Saka, who is a player you simply cannot allow to run at your defence - there is a reason most teams double mark him. Then another goal conceded from a corner.

Im nowhere near Ange out. However, ive been very critical of his ability to organize a defense and shape off the ball. He seems so passionate about how to play football in possession, but what about out of possession. And I dont believe in this notion that time will fix these issues. 'It took Arteta 3 years to make Woolwich a top side'. Yeah I know, and Arteta is a manager who learnt and developed and is now showcasing signs of being a class tactician. Whereas Ange seems like someone who has no interest in showing any leeway his approach as he is committed to this philsophy.

Yes there were fine margins, Micky being marginally offside, Romero hitting the post 1-0 down. But it cuts both ways, had Vicario not denied Saka, it would have been 4-0, had Raya not tried that stupid pass, they don't provide the momentum to make the late surge. But had that Saka effort gone in, they could have done to us what they did to West Ham. And I hope Ange takes note of that, because beatings away from home can all be attributed to the learning curve. But getting thrashed at home to the goons would not have gone down well with the fanbase- fans are already getting edgy about him.
you can see the problems we have, But the biggest problem is the manager He will not change, he can't change,
High line will burn VDV out in 2 yrs so we have to find another speedy defender,
Set pieces arn't important, yet how many goals have we concerned from set pieces ?
look at "his" signings " Maddison & Johnson Johnson needs times OK, Maddison was good before injury but been poor since coming back

Don’t want to hit the panic button but it seems plenty of others are - both here, on SM and in the ground yesterday.

Football since Xmas (roughly) has been poor. Same mistakes made week in week out. Huge amount of time on the training pitch (thanks to no Europe and bombing out of domestic cups) but no discernible upturn in play or ability to amend mistakes or plan B. Losing at home to Woolwich, Chelsea, West Ham. The laid back ‘mate’ schtick won’t cut it for much longer. Things could turn very ugly if/when we lose at Stamford Bridge and then Anfield.

All that said, how many more managers are this club gonna keep going through? I think most of us want Ange to succeed and like the change to a much more attacking philosophy. Nagging question is, are we backing a dud because we simply can’t go on firing managers and being in the ‘rebuild’ cycle?

It's baffling why some people praise him so highly. The fact is, his Celtic teams often faced embarrassment in European competitions due to his stubborn insistence on an all-out attacking style. While this approach may work when you have a significantly superior squad, it falls short when competing against more balanced teams.

I fucking respect the stubborn insistence on attacking principles.

That was why we dominated those cheating cunts yesterday.

The set piece thing is a piss take though

Don’t want to hit the panic button but it seems plenty of others are - both here, on SM and in the ground yesterday.

Football since Xmas (roughly) has been poor. Same mistakes made week in week out. Huge amount of time on the training pitch (thanks to no Europe and bombing out of domestic cups) but no discernible upturn in play or ability to amend mistakes or plan B. Losing at home to Woolwich, Chelsea, West Ham. The laid back ‘mate’ schtick won’t cut it for much longer. Things could turn very ugly if/when we lose at Stamford Bridge and then Anfield.

All that said, how many more managers are this club gonna keep going through? I think most of us want Ange to succeed and like the change to a much more attacking philosophy. Nagging question is, are we backing a dud because we simply can’t go on firing managers and being in the ‘rebuild’ cycle?
Why can't you keep firing the wrong managers ? if the guy is a dud why keep pumping transfer money into a duds poor'wrong football

simple question Anges football is not winning us games what will he do now to get us winning, (Ange's answer is keep doing what we are doing)

And 1 point from 9 at home against our 3 most hated and closest rivals its absolutely disgraceful.

Chelsea was a hatchet job from the premier league. Not on Ange.

West Ham we dominated and will smash them next year. Also look at the goal given to them and taken from us.

He’s competing against a bent league with one hand tied behind his back from Levy’s budgets.

But he does need to admit that Mason and Jellyneck aren’t up to it.

yep - being a Celtic fan - I can tell you that the high line did us in the few CL matches we played.
I remember in 2 matches - Juranovic was caught high up - when he ran back to defend -he was already too late.

Ange Ball. Risk versus Rewards.

For example- case in point: yesterday - instead of longing the ball when boxed in Vic and the LB decided to pass it out off the box. Suicidal. There are little or no gains/reward in that stupidity - how many times have we done it.
Pretty sure that was, if not the phase of play itself, then pretty much identical to how we transpired to give away the corner for the opener.

Why can't you keep firing the wrong managers ? if the guy is a dud why keep pumping transfer money into a duds poor'wrong football

simple question Anges football is not winning us games what will he do now to get us winning, (Ange's answer is keep doing what we are doing)
People have somehow convinced themselves that "time" will magically transform anyone into Pep if you give it long enough...

What concerns me most is that we're getting worse. If a rebuild is working you expect to be a bit dodgy at first, then an improvement in aspects of play but still inconsistant, then more consistancy as the players buy in to what you're doing. Bournemouth currently a good example or Pochs first season here. Our season has been the complete opposite, very good to start off then decent under difficult circumstances and now piss poor. Thats really not showing great long term signs.

What concerns me most is that we're getting worse. If a rebuild is working you expect to be a bit dodgy at first, then an improvement in aspects of play but still inconsistant, then more consistancy as the players buy in to what you're doing. Bournemouth currently a good example or Pochs first season here. Our season has been the complete opposite, very good to start off then decent under difficult circumstances and now piss poor. Thats really not showing great long term signs.

Never works in a straight line.

This whole thing abut starts didge and then just improves, that's narrative and oversimplification. Team sports are a puzzle and if one piece isn't in place the whole puzzle is off.

It might look like the whole thing is off and until this team learns how to fix it, it probably will be rough but we could just click as well.

This whole thing abut starts didge and then just improves, that's narrative and oversimplification. Team sports are a puzzle and if one piece isn't in place the whole puzzle is off.

It might look like the whole thing is off and until this team learns how to fix it, it probably will be rough but we could just click as well.
I expect inconsistancy and some shitty results and performances. I dont expect a straight line of progress, problem if there is a straight line its heading in the opposite direction. I just cant see what signs of improvement we've seen for months now. We beat the bottom half teams at home, usually after a scare or 2 but other than Villa what was our last good result and performance? City or Newcastle in December?

Good post.

I am not sure how progress is ever measured, other than finishing higher,, which we will, or by acquiring more points.

Agree that the training ground seems to be yielding very little, which might of course be players not listening to instruction.

I don't think Postecoglou is laid back at all. He is just being him. I don't care too much about the personality, Mourinho and Conte aside, but I do care when about one thing.

Since Christmas it feels that we have to rely on moments of brilliance as opposed to just dominating a game, whoever we are facing.

It's also a fact we don't have one player who is consistently very good. Not one. Whether that is Postecoglou, system or me being unfair I don't know.

Yesterday was always going to leave scars if we lost, but it's the manner of the goals we conceded that is a very big worry.

5th will see Postecoglou comfortably into next season. Anything less and who knows..

Last edited:

most teams can have a first 11 player out for sometime with the replacment not as good, so you change the way you play slighty

Thought of this as soon as you said it.

Ultimately we all feel what we feel, but progression is never linear (neither is failure).

Screen-Shot-2024-04-29-at-5-29-04-pm.png

Back
Top Bottom