Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That might not be such a bad thing😀
Goons only had 30% ish.

make more effective use of possession might be a better brand of football.
I predict at some stage a couple of the players will put their hand up & say " f ck this sh*t - i am not playing this crazy high line ange ball with useless possession " let's see when the mutiny comes.

Any good side have a rock solid defence.
I dont mind regular wins like 1-0 or 2-0

Whats going to happen in close season that couldn't have happened already ?, with NO midweek matches he's had plemty of time to work on set piece defending and attacking,
Nothing will changes because he doesn't know what to do and to stubbon to as for help
I said that a few weeks ago. Exactly how much time will he need? His had enough breaks this season. Why would a pre season which will be short due euros say 4 weeks which will include games overseas all of a SF sudden fix our problems?

make more effective use of possession might be a better brand of football.
I predict at some stage a couple of the players will put their hand up & say " f ck this sh*t - i am not playing this crazy high line ange ball with useless possession " let's see when the mutiny comes.

Any good side have a rock solid defence.
I dont mind regular wins like 1-0 or 2-0
Reckon some might already be thinking that to themselves indirectly. That we always concede, have to chase games and leave VDV to defend on his own. Surely the players would see this and think Christ this is suicide.

A lot of our fans haven’t got the bollocks for the time and sometimes pain it takes to build a side to compete. Just expect a straight curve upward and when it obviously doesn’t work like that retreat to the happy place of a managerial change where we can fantasise about how it’s going to take off and there’s no bumps in the road.

The manager could have made us harder to beat today. Sat everyone behind the ball but long term that’s not good for the mentality of a team that wants to compete/win
Isn’t that what Arteta has done?

The 5-0 loss to the scum?

Anyone that watched both games ought to be able to see that the Chavs got utterly ripped apart whereas today that wasn't the story of the game at all.
They didn’t need to really did they? We gifted them an easy win. I’m sure if they wanted to attack more they would have. Early 2nd they sort of controlled the game. Think Saka could have made it 4.

Bournemouth did a rebuild. They started out poorly but every game you can see clear improvement and increased cohesion in their team and tactical approach.

Are we headed that way? Or are we seeing worse and worse performances, plummeting results and weekly humblings?
Yeah,

there was an interview with Solanke (I think) who basically said at the start the tactics were so advanced that the players just didn't understand them, it took them a long time for the penny to drop but when it did the results improved dramatically.

Redknapp is underrated by our own fanbase. Maybe it was his twerking for the England job, general demeanour, perception as an 'old school' coach, I don't know. Certainly I think a Redknapp-led team would have had more about them than what we saw today. Seem to recall a 3-2 comeback win at the Emirates too. His side was entertaining and a bit too leaky at the back but levels above what we've seen recently.
Some of the football with Modric, VDV, Bale etc was absolutely sensational.

Definitely not Ange out yet at this late point of the season. Is really damn stupid if we do. Some of you rather go through another pre season to repeat what we did last season and waste the prep to the new season? For fuck sake. This season is always going to be bedding in season for him. Strangely it's unfortunate the first third of the season gave him so much hype and expectation it's biting his ass now.

But comes to new changes, I really hope he can instill some shit damn toughness to the players. I mentioned in Vic thread that it's unbelievable he could be so easily bullied by Ben fucking White and even got his gloves undone, all without much protestations and fuss thrown to the officials.

I don't like players standing around officials, but hell we need to get our voices being heard more, be it on the field or off the pitch. It's really annoying all these decades of support to this club, we are left with much more memories of us being 'nice'. I really hate the 'soft' labels. This is no charity tournament. SAF knew all along that's our weakest point and now all clubs are firmly in the camp too. Things that come to mind when mentioning Spurs - tough negotiator Levy, nice stadium, comfortable facilities, and soft mentality.

The culture is still so poisoned by being nice, scoring last minutes goals don't turn us into stronger mentality. Sadly, even Woolwich who can be a joke of a bottler don't buckle or turned so flaccid like we so often. A serious change is needed on this.

Read his quotes about defending set pieces.

He can fuck off with that.

You don't just fucking lose a NLD from 2 set pieces and tell the fans it's not our biggest problem. Even of one was a blatant foul he can shut the fuck up and admit that it's joke how bad we have got at defending set pieces.

Needs to drop the casual laid back aussie persona who doesn't worry about anything. Not wanting a set piece coach, not showing any variance in style due to the occasion. There really is no problem with going long and competing for the second ball high up the pitch. Passing out from the back carries risk and if you wed yourself to it, the other team can spring their press traps. "its the only why I know how to play, mate". Yeah we know, and you can be sure Arteta knew this too. A turnover that led to corner which they scored from. A direct counter with a long diagonal ball to Saka, who is a player you simply cannot allow to run at your defence - there is a reason most teams double mark him. Then another goal conceded from a corner.

Im nowhere near Ange out. However, ive been very critical of his ability to organize a defense and shape off the ball. He seems so passionate about how to play football in possession, but what about out of possession. And I dont believe in this notion that time will fix these issues. 'It took Arteta 3 years to make Woolwich a top side'. Yeah I know, and Arteta is a manager who learnt and developed and is now showcasing signs of being a class tactician. Whereas Ange seems like someone who has no interest in showing any leeway his approach as he is committed to this philsophy.

Yes there were fine margins, Micky being marginally offside, Romero hitting the post 1-0 down. But it cuts both ways, had Vicario not denied Saka, it would have been 4-0, had Raya not tried that stupid pass, they don't provide the momentum to make the late surge. But had that Saka effort gone in, they could have done to us what they did to West Ham. And I hope Ange takes note of that, because beatings away from home can all be attributed to the learning curve. But getting thrashed at home to the goons would not have gone down well with the fanbase- fans are already getting edgy about him.

It's baffling why some people praise him so highly. The fact is, his Celtic teams often faced embarrassment in European competitions due to his stubborn insistence on an all-out attacking style. While this approach may work when you have a significantly superior squad, it falls short when competing against more balanced teams.

It's baffling why some people praise him so highly. The fact is, his Celtic teams often faced embarrassment in European competitions due to his stubborn insistence on an all-out attacking style. While this approach may work when you have a significantly superior squad, it falls short when competing against more balanced teams.
yep - being a Celtic fan - I can tell you that the high line did us in the few CL matches we played.
I remember in 2 matches - Juranovic was caught high up - when he ran back to defend -he was already too late.

Ange Ball. Risk versus Rewards.

For example- case in point: yesterday - instead of longing the ball when boxed in Vic and the LB decided to pass it out off the box. Suicidal. There are little or no gains/reward in that stupidity - how many times have we done it.

Back
Top Bottom