Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not sure how much of it is Ange, the attacking coach or the players but I'll be surprised if an attacking coach isn't brought in to replace Mason in the summer, with Mason shifting around in the coaching set up.

We look blunt in that department and fresh out of ideas. Our set pieces are also pretty shit.

Have wondered if there isn't a re-shuffle in the coaching staff.

If we lose our next 3 games against Woolwich, Chelsea and Liverpool does/should he get sacked?
No. In fact he can lose every game from now until the end of the season, carry it on with 6 straight losses next season, and exit the League cup at the first attempt......As long as he continues to play a high line and call everyone mate we're all good.

Mate

Last edited:
None of us knows what’ll happen next season. I think what a lot of us are concerned about is the lack of a Plan B or the fact that Ange seems intent on doubling down on the aggression.

For me the season has fallen into 3 parts: the first 10 games (which we all enjoyed I’m sure); the post-Chelsea injuries/suspensions debacle - where the team and Ange continued to ride the good will and ‘vibes’ built up from earlier; and the last few months - which have been the most concerning (with a mostly fully fit squad and lots of time on the training pitch).

I can’t deny the fun I/we had a WHL early on. The whole place seemed lifted and a complete contrast to what we’d sat through with previous managers. I don’t really read too much into metrics and stats but going on the naked eye, coaches have worked us out - sit deep and counter quickly while our FB’s are high up the pitch. We haven’t done anything to counter this - just more chutzpah mate.

Werner isn’t good enough (it’s plain to see live). Son isn’t a #9. Maddison is a different player post injury (ditto Bissouma). Kulusevski is a microcosm of Spurs in that everyone knows what he’s gonna do and it’s become way to easy to nullify him. We can’t break sides down. We lack guile and presence up front. As a result our defence suffers and even our player of the year ended up looking like Bambi on ice last time out.

As for Ange - I like him. He’s bought something new to us and to the league. However, when the going is tough is when you find out and/or demonstrate real leadership. Signalling to every opponent that it’ll be the same Spurs showing up, with the same gung-Ho attitude or playing weakened teams in cup competitions (when we are not even in Europe) or telling everyone top4 doesn’t really matter - are not very bright ways to ho about ‘leading’
Pep, Klopp, and LegoHead don’t have a mystical plan B

It wasn't much worse than what we've mostly seen in 2024

We've been pretty shite
I'd say we've been alright. We have the fifth most expensive squad in the league and are in fifth.

It's pretty much on par with how teams who have finished fifth in previous seasons have played.

Ultimately, you get what you pay for. We might be in the same position as we were under Conte points wise, but having a manager who's actually wants to be here gives me more hope than last season.

Is there any manager in the world you'd be happy with?
With Levy at the helm, probably not.

Because history proves they'll all ultimately fail.

Although, its funny you should ask, because I don't actually recall criticising any of our previous managers apart from Sherwood and maybe Nuno

I've backed everyone of them.

Mate

Last edited:
With Levy at the helm, probably not.

Because history proves they'll all ultimately fail.

Although, its funny you should ask, because I don't actually recall criticising any of our previous managers apart from Sherwood.

I've backed everyone of them.

Mate

So just Ange you aren't backing?

To my memory the only one speaking directly and regularly about winning things by doing things differently.

Has anybody seen Ange do a deep squat on the touch line this season????

Just struck me that a possible inability to crouch down and look pensive is going against him. It’s something the other top managers have in their locker

A weakness Ange might need to address over the summer.

Thoughts???

So just Ange you aren't backing?

To my memory the only one speaking directly and regularly about winning things by doing things differently.
I just think he was a cheap uninspiring appointment. An unproven journeyman type who Levy employed to successfully lower the fans expectations to such a level where 2 early cup exits and a probable 5th place finish....with no European football to even stretch the squad....is seen as some kind of success!

But listen. If you are of the opinion he'll succeed where all who've gone before him (including serial winners at the highest level) have failed, then I respect your optimism and sincerely hope you'll be calling me out this time next year telling me how misguided I was.

We'll see

:adesalute:

Mate.

Last edited:
I just think he was a cheap uninspiring appointment. An unproven journeyman type who Levy employed to successfully lower the fans expectations to such a level where 2 early cup exits and a probable 5th place finish....with no European football to even stretch the squad....is seen as some kind of success!

But listen. If you are if the opinion he'll succeed where all who've gone before him (including serial winners at the highest level) have failed, then I respect your optimism and sincerely hope you'll be calling me out this time next year telling me how misguided I was.

We'll see

Mate.

Ange is a serial winner.

If anything he's done the opposite of Conte whom tried to manage expectations and told the fans to believe.

It comes off like you make a decision on how you want to see something based on how much it costs and because Ange is a cheaper appointment, you decided he's less ambitious than the ones who went before him.

Ange is a serial winner.

If anything he's done the opposite of Conte whom tried to manage expectations and told the fans to believe.

It comes off like you make a decision on how you want to see something based on how much it costs and because Ange is a cheaper appointment, you decided he's less ambitious than the ones who went before him.
The fans expectations are certainly less ambitious now than with all those who went before him. That's undeniable.
Poch, Jose, and Conte would have been absolutely slaughtered by all and sundry on here if they'd overseen our last two away performances.
When I saw him on the touchline during both, he looked about as inspiring as a propped up corpse.

The fans expectations are certainly less ambitious than all those who went before him. That's undeniable.
Poch, Jose, and Conte would have been absolutely slaughtered by all and sundry on here if they'd overseen our last two away performances.
When I saw him on the touchline during both, he looked about as inspiring as a propped up corpse.

Conte spent every press conference telling us we couldn't expect to compete with clubs like Man UTD, Chelsea, AC Milan, or anyone he was scared he couldn't get a result against.

As for the last 2 away performances....not even worth dignifying that fabricated rubbish with a response but let's put to this way, Conte lost 4 games against Chelsea in a month and pretty much told us we had no chance in any of them. We got battered so many times under Conte and Jose it was embarrassing.

I'm with you on the club being stuck in a rut with a lack of ambition but you don't help your cause with unfounded and baseless shit like this.

Last edited:
The fans expectations are certainly less ambitious now than with all those who went before him. That's undeniable.
Poch lost 3-0 away to Stoke in his first season as well as 4-1 to City, 3-0 to Chelsea and 3-0 to Man Utd. We also lost 3-0 at home to Liverpool, lost at home to Stoke and West Brom and went out the FA cup to relegation threatened Leicester.

Mourinho in his first 16 months went out the FA cup to soon to be relegated Norwich lost at Sheff Utd, Southampton, 3-0 to Zagreb, numerous times to Frank Lampards Chelsea without barely registering a shot. If you think the football now is shit you must have blanked most of those 16 months out.

Poch lost 3-0 away to Stoke in his first season as well as 4-1 to City, 3-0 to Chelsea and 3-0 to Man Utd. We also lost 3-0 at home to Liverpool, lost at home to Stoke and West Brom and went out the FA cup to relegation threatened Leicester.

Mourinho in his first 16 months went out the FA cup to soon to be relegated Norwich lost at Sheff Utd, Southampton, 3-0 to Zagreb, numerous times to Frank Lampards Chelsea without barely registering a shot. If you think the football now is shit you must have blanked most of those 16 months out.

Oh how so many people forget.

Poch's first season was genuinely dogshit that gets papered over because of the emergence of Harry Kane and the 5-3 win over Chelsea.

There were calls for his sacking at the early stages of the 15/16 season if we'd lost to West Ham after getting knocked out of the cup to Woolwich at home after playing a weakened team.

If you think the football now is shit you must have INTENTIONALY blanked most of those 16 months out.

FYP

But he knows he's bullshitting.

The agenda is so weak and obvious tbh.

Aim your agenda at the club, fine. But a manager who just got here and actually tells the fans to believe we can win, even if its no more likely than under any of the previous incumbents? Makes no sense.

Tbh I think John Thomas John Thomas biggest fear is that Ange actually manages to win under Levy and the bald one is exonerated.

Ange is a serial winner.

** In pub standard leagues.

I like Ange but we’ve not come close to winning anything this season. We were pathetic in the cups.

He’s not proven as a serial anything above Scottish league level. At this point I see him as a good platform to getting us back to playing a halfway decent style of football more than anything else.

** In pub standard leagues.

I like Ange but we’ve not come close to winning anything this season. We were pathetic in the cups.

He’s not proven as a serial anything above Scottish league level. At this point I see him as a good platform to getting us back to playing a halfway decent style of football more than anything else.

Ignorance.

Winning is relative to the level and that's it.

In every league in the world, the one factor that generally holds up when it comes to predicting the winner is the wage bracket and number of players with highest level of wages relative to the league.

If anything Ange finding ways to win in Japan and Australia with teams that weren't traditional winners on that league and didn't have the highest wage brackets makes him more of a winner than cheque book managers like Conte.

Tbh I think John Thomas John Thomas biggest fear is that Ange actually manages to win under Levy and the bald one

Yeah, right :harrylol:

But listen. If you are of the opinion he'll succeed where all who've gone before him (including serial winners at the highest level) have failed, then I respect your optimism and sincerely hope you'll be calling me out this time next year telling me how misguided I was.

Listen. As I said in the post above, I respect your opinion, however misguided.

Maybe you should respect mine without resorting to such utter, drivelling nonsense

:angehug:

Back
Top Bottom