Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We’re basically trying to play like City without anything like the attacking prowess needed.

Said it numerous times but I think this season was always Ange putting this squad to the test. Do you have what is required to play the way I want to play? Which is why he simply isn't budging. And right now, it's clear plenty are failing that test.

If he could, I honestly think he'd fuck off 3/4s of this squad. Games like today, games like Fulham are big glaring obvious results that show this squad isn't up to playing this way. Up to Ange, Lange, Paratici and Levy to change it in the summer.

We have history that tells us we aren't going to get all the pieces we need in the summer though.

Said it numerous times but I think this season was always Ange putting this squad to the test. Do you have what is required to play the way I want to play? Which is why he simply isn't budging. And right now, it's clear plenty are failing that test.

If he could, I honestly think he'd fuck off 3/4s of this squad. Games like today, games like Fulham are big glaring obvious results that show this squad isn't up to playing this way. Up to Ange, Lange, Paratici and Levy to change it in the summer.

We have history that tells us we aren't going to get all the pieces we need in the summer though.
Yep.

I just can’t ever see us investing the sort of money needed to play this style of football. Attack alone would be north of £150 million.

Could see us going for Toney though.

I hope we are returning to a reality based evaluation of Postecoglou. Started the season with this board looking like a cult following. Now, people seem to think he's been found out and all hope is lost. Both are wrong. Football isn't a video game and Postecoglou hasn't found all the cheat codes. But he also has the team on his side and appears to have accomplished a lot of good things. He'll get some transfers in who are suited to his system and hopefully start to work on set pieces and some areas that need improvement. Then, we'll see. In the meantime he'll get criticized like every other manager does and he'll be judged on results. He's earned the time he will get to prove his ideas can work.
Why would him getting transfers in that he wants fill you with any sort of confidence?

From what we've heard Johnson and Werner were signed at his express request and both are woeful.

It's been an extended honeymoon purely because of the chelsea game, if not for that the heat would have been a lot quicker.

The issue was not today.

It was not having a 3rd CB when we had injuries and suspensions at the back.

It was getting Werner on a free instead of really going hard in a January window when nobody else could spend.

It’s trying to build a Class A squad with Class B players that we hope can be Class A.

It’s owners that build lovely facilities and constantly accept players getting comfortable and playing like they’ve made it.

It was selling Kane to rebuild the squad after never building a team around him to win

Terrible game but let’s not get carried on against ange.
I really like Ange. I’d love him to do well. I like the way he approaches things.

I just fear we’re bumping up against reality.

If you play high line football, you’re basically saying ‘we don’t care if you score, we’ll score more’.

The problem is we can’t score more.

So we either need better players or Ange needs to adapt.

He's not gonna change his style for anyone.

At the moment we simply don't have the quality/type of players to execute it well. He deserves another few windows to get in his players and then we'll see.

There's nothing inherently bad about his tactics just a question of having the players to do it.

We might be slightly better now playing more pragmatically but we'd still be way off the top clubs as we simply don't have the quality.

You can bang on about tactics all day but the simple truth is the players over a season are by far the biggest variable that determines how good a team is.

Maybe. Let's hope you are right.

4th or 5th this season would still, in the grand scheme of things be supeeb.

It's the capacity to get into the top 3 and to be unequivocally better that is becoming less easy to be sure about.

For me, I look at the players who will still be here, and who can become the players that are going to take us forward. That number seems to be diminishing.

No point binning Ange, there's top clubs looking for managers this summer and even they're not exactly pulling up A list names, the latest is that Amorim might reject the dippers in favour of staying at Sporting, and frankly he's not someone I would even want at Spurs given his lack of experience outside of Portugal. If we can't realistically improve on Ange we just as well back him in the Summer and see where we are with him next season. I think it's the typical reactionary thing to call for his head after a trouncing like that but look how much further along we are in his first season in charge than we were this time last season under a so called "elite" manager.

Trust Believe GIF

Was brutal in the final 3rd today.

I’d even be open to selling Son
I think that ship has sailed tbh, I would have flogged him 2 seasons ago when he shared the golden boot with Salah, we could have got £60m+ off that showing but we gave him a 5 year deal instead and now his age will always be a stumbling block in getting rid.
Love him to bits but he's been here forever, and he's not gonna go anywhere but down from here as his lightning pace deserts him. Cannot play 9 again for us, completely ineffectual there. We have looked much better with Richy there and even he could do with upgrading.

But that's the squad he has, So he needs to workout how to get the best out of this squad, NOT just play without any tactics on how to defend corners or how to play without a 9

I think the tactics have been alright for the most part, all things considered 5th isn't that bad.

Every system has strengths and weaknesses. The defending wasn't good today but I don't think thats the main issue as a whole. We need Forwards that will make the ball stick in the final third. Get that and I think the tactics will look less naive.

You know what the biggest issue is?

We desperately need our defenders and goalkeeper to pass the ball forwards more quickly so that we don't give an opportunity for the opposition to retreat and regroup. THAT is our biggest problem now. What can the top 3 do when the opposition has already defended in numbers?

Romero and Vic are the 2 biggest culprits with their STUPID slowness in releasing the ball forward

Back
Top Bottom