Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Really? That’s your take I guess. Bear in mind we have to add Europe next year. Minimum 10 games hopefully.

But this season after 10 games we had 26 points.
11 points ahead of United and 14 ahead of Chelsea.

21 games later we are now
11 points ahead of United
16 ahead of Chelsea.

That fast start gave us a buffer. But we haven’t really kicked on in the 21 games since then.

Same form as United as 2 points better than Chelsea. Doesn’t point out to me they would have to improve ridiculously.

Same timeframe
Woolwich have collected 13 more points
Liverpool have collected 14 more points
City have collected 12 more points
Villa have collected 4 more points.

If anything it says wee have to improve ridiculously to catch up with the top 3.
And us Villa, United and Chelsea are quite closely matched.
Even taking the last 10 games we are closer to newcastle amd man United than the top 3

So I guess it depends if you think our form for the first 10 was the new normal for Postecoglou Spurs or it will turn out to be an anomaly.

Micky was out injured for a couple of months. Madders as well. Cutí was suspended for three games. Bissouma as well.

If Micky and Madders stay healthy I think we have another 5-7 points and are sitting within striking distance of the title.

We need a left footed pacy back up at LB and LCB. We need another creative mid to provide depth.

What does this mean?
It says we've won 9 but is that purely at that stage of the game?
Basically yes; if results were based on goals scored in first 15 minutes we would have one 9, drawn 17 and lost 5.

Spurs strong performance stats in the first 15 of both halves, certainly backs up what the players have been saying about Ange's team talks being highly motivational. We should lobby FIFA to change the rules to playing four quarters. With four Ange chats per game, we'd be well on top!

We're a bit patchy to say the least.
Everyone is patchy if you slice games finely enough. Last year's winners Man City were 13th best between 75 and 90 minutes: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/pre...=2022&range=75';90'&time_start=76&time_end=90

Micky was out injured for a couple of months. Madders as well. Cutí was suspended for three games. Bissouma as well.

If Micky and Madders stay healthy I think we have another 5-7 points and are sitting within striking distance of the title.

We need a left footed pacy back up at LB and LCB. We need another creative mid to provide depth.

That’s football. Players get injured. You can’t go around on what ifs. What’s done is done.

We train and then play at a very high intensity too. Sone injuries are always going to be a side effect of our game plan.
Add in another 20 odd games next season you can expect more injuries too.

Really? That’s your take I guess. Bear in mind we have to add Europe next year. Minimum 10 games hopefully.

But this season after 10 games we had 26 points.
11 points ahead of United and 14 ahead of Chelsea.

21 games later we are now
11 points ahead of United
16 ahead of Chelsea.

That fast start gave us a buffer. But we haven’t really kicked on in the 21 games since then.

Same form as United as 2 points better than Chelsea. Doesn’t point out to me they would have to improve ridiculously.

Same timeframe
Woolwich have collected 13 more points
Liverpool have collected 14 more points
City have collected 12 more points
Villa have collected 4 more points.

If anything it says wee have to improve ridiculously to catch up with the top 3.
And us Villa, United and Chelsea are quite closely matched.
Even taking the last 10 games we are closer to newcastle amd man United than the top 3

So I guess it depends if you think our form for the first 10 was the new normal for Postecoglou Spurs or it will turn out to be an anomaly.
Slicing it after game 10 skews things because it includes 1 point from Spurs' next 5 injury-affected games.

After round 15 we had 27 points, equal with United and 8 ahead of Chelsea. Since then we are:
+11 vs United
+8 vs Chelsea (although they have an extra game to play)
+5 vs Villa
-2 vs Woolwich
-4 vs Liverpool
-7 vs City

Yes it depends when you slice it and yes we still have plenty of work to do, but not ridiculously so.

It was literally the best start a new manager has ever had to this league...

How can you overrate 8 wins and 2 draws from the opening 10 games?

We deserved to win every single one of those games we won and could have got more from the ones we drew.

Just a shame what happened in and post Chelsea.

Im saying the performances werent always great, i cited numerous games we struggled in that should have been more straight forward. No arguments on the actual results.

Im saying the performances werent always great, i cited numerous games we struggled in that should have been more straight forward. No arguments on the actual results.

Wouldn't use minutes of goals as an indicator of struggle. We absolutely dominated Sheffield United that day, were denied a blatant penalty and had to deal with time wasting from minute five. Outside of their goal, I don't remember them laying a glove on us. Which is much different to nowadays when teams seem to be able to turn it up a gear and cause us some sort of problem. Forest a big example of that.

There's a reason after 10 games, only two teams had a better defensive record than us, we had 4 cleansheets and only conceded 5 goals from open play.

Performances at the beginning of the season were good. Movement was excellent, players seemed more in tune, the passing was crisper and more confident. Whereas nowadays whilst we can control games just as well, the movement isn't quite there, the passing at times is a lot safer than it was and we don't seem as confident. We're almost a different team, but still one that can turn it on when needed and just destroy a team in 10 minutes with a few goals.

I dunno, to me it felt like Vicario was still making lots of saves in those first 10 rounds.

We probably did have more control in certain games but creating clear cut chances was still an issue.

Having watched a number of neutral games recently seems that theirs an extraodinary amount of open games now. I was watching Villa v Brentford and even at Villa 2-0 up it felt like Brentford could score a bundle and sure enough they were 3-2 up before you could blink.

One thing we are doing well with now is capitalising on our 15-20 minute spurts of dominance.

Slicing it after game 10 skews things because it includes 1 point from Spurs' next 5 injury-affected games.

After round 15 we had 27 points, equal with United and 8 ahead of Chelsea. Since then we are:
+11 vs United
+8 vs Chelsea (although they have an extra game to play)
+5 vs Villa
-2 vs Woolwich
-4 vs Liverpool
-7 vs City

Yes it depends when you slice it and yes we still have plenty of work to do, but not ridiculously so.

My point was we are not ridiculously ahead of Chelsea, United and Newcastle.
Especially with Europe to take into account next season.
Anybody thinking that is kidding themselves.

Normal / easiest split would be 9/9/9/9.
Just everyone talks about our first 10 games so used that as the reference point.

18 games halfway and 13 games since probably the other most pertinent stages to look at.

Ideally you want to have a strong finish. That’s the business end of the season. No awards handed out at Christmas as woolwich know all too well.

Please can we all stop talking about Conte now because the man did not want to be at Spurs and produced some of the most boring predictable football ever and if Kane was not one of the greatest forwards of all time we would have finished bottom half last season.

no, because people like you keep on comparing this season to his seasons.
Simple fact is he got us top 4 and we were still in the top 4 when he had a meltdown.

Undeniable facts.

So far the only thing Ange has changed/achieved is more possession.
Facts,

I dunno, to me it felt like Vicario was still making lots of saves in those first 10 rounds.

We probably did have more control in certain games but creating clear cut chances was still an issue.

Having watched a number of neutral games recently seems that theirs an extraodinary amount of open games now. I was watching Villa v Brentford and even at Villa 2-0 up it felt like Brentford could score a bundle and sure enough they were 3-2 up before you could blink.

One thing we are doing well with now is capitalising on our 15-20 minute spurts of dominance.
I think everyone was blinded by possession stats. There wasn't much different to the first 10 to the last 10 really other than teams then didn't quite know what to expect from us. They do now.

no, because people like you keep on comparing this season to his seasons.
Simple fact is he got us top 4 and we were still in the top 4 when he had a meltdown.

Undeniable facts.

So far the only thing Ange has changed/achieved is more possession.
Facts,
He didn’t get us top 4. He got us top 4 in 21/23 he quit in 22/23. He was so overrated as a manager it is unbelievable. The fact he decided to end it by taking a massive 💩 on the players. That was after he took a 💩 on the fans a few weeks before and completely disrespected the club after we played AC Milan.

People who hear that he criticised Levy in his rant have read too much into it. He is having a go at the players.

If we are going to compare Ange please do it to the highest standard and compare him against Redknapp and Poch not the Italian fraud.

He didn’t get us top 4. He got us top 4 in 21/23 he quit in 22/23. He was so overrated as a manager it is unbelievable. The fact he decided to end it by taking a massive 💩 on the players. That was after he took a 💩 on the fans a few weeks before and completely disrespected the club after we played AC Milan.

People who hear that he criticised Levy in his rant have read too much into it. He is having a go at the players.

If we are going to compare Ange please do it to the highest standard and compare him against Redknapp and Poch not the Italian fraud.
He got us top 4 in 21/22
I didn't say what season, I said he got us top 4
And I said we were in the top 4 when he left.

You're just another one of these anti-ex-Chelsea brigade that lose all sight of sense because of it.
Regardless as to his influence in the 22/23 transfer market, he had a weaker side and "achieved" top 4.
Ange has a better, overall squad and has done nothing more than that, If he even achieves that. Could be 5th or a disastrous 6th at this stage.

Whether you like it or not, you can only judge Conte on his time at Spurs. After he left is absolutely irrelevant.

If you can't appreciate what Ange has done for this football club in such a short space of time then honestly you may aswell give up with following football as a hobby.
Who follows Spurs as a hobby?
Do you think I get emotional (high or low) over my collection of fridge magnets?
Hope Getting Emotional GIF

I suppose it's unrealistic to expect to have the ball 100% of the time...... or is it?
Ponder Denzel Washington GIF by Entertainment Tonight

I think a lot of comments made about us not having the ball all the time or seemingly shocked that we don't dominate teams for 90 mins comes from people who don't watch much other football.

Back
Top Bottom