Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As interesting as that may seem. We have won one more game at the matching points of the season to when Conte was sacked. Points wise we're very close. Sacking Conte was ultimately a total disaster as we won 3 of 10 (30% ratio) vs 15 from 28 (53% ratio)
We had a 1.75 ppg total at MW 28. We're currently at 1.875ppg so a tad better. But 5 of our last 7 games could really dent that yet.
I don't even think it's worth comparing this season to last season. We had 3 different coaches and unique non-football situations to deal with.

Those last 10 games saw us lose at home to Bournemouth, battered by Newcastle. Come back from 3 down at Liverpool and still manage to lose, lost at home to Brentford. Our wins were questionable. Lucky as fuck Vs Brighton and the other 2 were against a terrible Palace and relegated Leeds.
We did not sack Conte he quit. He quit with a large payoff. The fact is he spent months trying to quit.

The fact is in his last 9 games he was on the touchline we won 3. The man had somehow accelerated the loss of the changing room at Spurs because of how unhappy he was. The man did not want to manage us after the 21/22 Season he only continued because he could not find an excuse.

They got through us easy for their goal and that was down to Udogie being a lazy defender. The chance they had that hit the post was the only other time they looked dangerous in 96 minutes.
Are teams just very clinical against us because teams don’t have loads of chances against us?
That's not really the full story though. Just because they didn't create chances (they had a higher XG than us!) doesn't mean they weren't passing through and around us a lot in the 1st half.
There was a reason we took off 2 midfielders.

I agree about those teams but we will improve so for Utd,Chelsea and Newcastle to get near us they’d have to improve ridiculously. Can’t see them being any nearer us next season.

Really? That’s your take I guess. Bear in mind we have to add Europe next year. Minimum 10 games hopefully.

But this season after 10 games we had 26 points.
11 points ahead of United and 14 ahead of Chelsea.

21 games later we are now
11 points ahead of United
16 ahead of Chelsea.

That fast start gave us a buffer. But we haven’t really kicked on in the 21 games since then.

Same form as United as 2 points better than Chelsea. Doesn’t point out to me they would have to improve ridiculously.

Same timeframe
Woolwich have collected 13 more points
Liverpool have collected 14 more points
City have collected 12 more points
Villa have collected 4 more points.

If anything it says wee have to improve ridiculously to catch up with the top 3.
And us Villa, United and Chelsea are quite closely matched.
Even taking the last 10 games we are closer to newcastle amd man United than the top 3

So I guess it depends if you think our form for the first 10 was the new normal for Postecoglou Spurs or it will turn out to be an anomaly.

We did not sack Conte he quit. He quit with a large payoff. The fact is he spent months trying to quit.

The fact is in his last 9 games he was on the touchline we won 3. The man had somehow accelerated the loss of the changing room at Spurs because of how unhappy he was. The man did not want to manage us after the 21/22 Season he only continued because he could not find an excuse.
So you're taking wins away where he almost certainly picked the team and had an input because he wasn't visually there on the touchline?
Do you honestly think Stelini was just told "yeah go on mate, you do what you like, I'm gonna watch a but of TV and forget about it"
The same Stelini that saw us get battered 6-1 at Newcastle.
In those 9 games you have picked out, we lost to Woolwich, City, Leicester and Wolves. 2 of them are forgivable. The Leicester game was madness and Wolves seem to be our bogey team now.
Beat Chelsea, City, West Ham, Fulham & Forest. I don't take the wins away because he wasn't on the touch line.

Unarguable fact is, despite the boring football, despite all the off field drama, at the point of his leaving the club, we were in the top 4 and had been almost all season long.

A tiny bit worrying, but you then look at the start of the first half and we rectified that somewhat
Did you see the stat on Sky? We have scored the most goals this season between 46 & 60 minutes in the league by some margin.

We do always seem to come out of the blocks in the 2nd half and get 2 or 3 in that period.
I don't know why. Is it by design or are the players a bit pumped after a ticking off?

What does this mean?
It says we've won 9 but is that purely at that stage of the game?
Even though I'm not sure what it means, I changed it from 15-45 and we drop to 14th - I'm sure we can all say we have seen this in our game play.

HT to 60 we're "top of the league" and have scored 17 of our 65 goals.
Then 61-90 we drop back to 7th

We're a bit patchy to say the least.

That's not really the full story though. Just because they didn't create chances (they had a higher XG than us!) doesn't mean they weren't passing through and around us a lot in the 1st half.
There was a reason we took off 2 midfielders.
Fuck XG. They had some possession but they are a premier league club with premier league footballers so that is expected. They had 3 chances in the 96 minutes. It was a comfortable win for us.

In the end the win was the important factor.
But they had, too many attempts on and at goal for a struggling team.
The team, does have a tendency to give up too many opportunities, and what is with this only getting going second half of games.

So you're taking wins away where he almost certainly picked the team and had an input because he wasn't visually there on the touchline?
Do you honestly think Stelini was just told "yeah go on mate, you do what you like, I'm gonna watch a but of TV and forget about it"
In those 9 games you have picked out, we lost to Woolwich, City, Leicester and Wolves. 2 of them are forgivable. The Leicester game was madness and Wolves seem to be our bogey team now.
Beat Chelsea, City, West Ham, Fulham & Forest. I don't take the wins away because he wasn't on the touch line.

Unarguable fact is, despite the boring football, despite all the off field drama, at the point of his leaving the club, we were in the top 4 and had been almost all season long.
Like this season then, only he didn't have near the injury list.

Yet you're defending Conte to demean Postecoglou.

May have picked the team and tactics but Stellini would have done the team meetings. I could also assign the losses until the end of the season to Conte because he decided to light the match and torch the team and any confidence they have. I blame him that the last time we saw a captain who served us for 11 years was a wimp out at half time at St James Park.

The fact is Conte had a big say in our transfer policy in summer 22. That is why we only signed established players even if they did not fit his system. Conte helped waste over 100m on Richarlison, Perisic and Bissouma when none of these players could do what he wanted because they were established.

Please can we all stop talking about Conte now because the man did not want to be at Spurs and produced some of the most boring predictable football ever and if Kane was not one of the greatest forwards of all time we would have finished bottom half last season.

You predicted that the up and coming season would be difficult and you weren't looking forward to it but we are navigating it pretty well despite having 3 months or ridiculous injuries and Intl call ups to key players it seems like we are well exceeding your own expectations...

This season is proof that there are bunch of posters here that should just wake up to the fact that they are former fans..... The sooner they do; the less miserable they will be.

...........Instead they just lurk around pissing on other peoples chips thinking that it's the enlightened, objective thing to do. It's not.

Last edited:

For such a serial « winner » he behaved like the biggest loser out of all the coaches I can think of over the last 20 years.

It was probably our best start to a home game since Newcastle. We just couldn't find the second which would have killed them before the equaliser.

Johnson missed a sitter
To be fair it was an insane save from their keeper.

Not sure how old their GK Nels(?) is but I thought he looked very good for them yesterday.

I feel like we overate our start to the season a little. What was it 96th and 99th minute goals to beat Sheffield United at home? Could barely create a chance against 9 man Liverpool until they turned it into their own net themselves. You'd think we were pumping everyone by 5 goals.

Since our loss to West Ham our home form is 8 wins 1 loss in the league. We pretty much deserved to win all of those games as well.

I feel like we overate our start to the season a little. What was it 96th and 99th minute goals to beat Sheffield United at home? Could barely create a chance against 9 man Liverpool until they turned it into their own net themselves. You'd think we were pumping everyone by 5 goals.

Since our loss to West Ham our home form is 8 wins 1 loss in the league. We pretty much deserved to win all of those games as well.

I think the start was exciting because it was fresh and exciting. We had been playing passive football for so long, everyone was pumped.

People have already got past the freshness of a new manager and now want instant gratification. We have been one of the best teams in the league at times this season and we handled an unbelievable injury crisis as well.

I'd say the league table doesn't lie and 4th is on balance where we deserve to be this season. Without the sabotage (some self-inflicted) against chavski, we could have deserved more but that didn't happen for us this year. Next year we need to be tougher mentally.

It was literally the best start a new manager has ever had to this league...

How can you overrate 8 wins and 2 draws from the opening 10 games?

We deserved to win every single one of those games we won and could have got more from the ones we drew.

Just a shame what happened in and post Chelsea.

It was literally the best start a new manager has ever had to this league...

How can you overrate 8 wins and 2 draws from the opening 10 games?

We deserved to win every single one of those games we won and could have got more from the ones we drew.

Just a shame what happened in and post Chelsea.

Think it was our best start since the 60’s as well.

Back
Top Bottom