Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don't get me wrong. I never loved Conte. I love Ange as much as anyone. However, I do think Conte gets a little too much flack tactically. We weren't THAT bad to watch last year. Our problem was we just shipped away goals. We were 5th in goals scored. We scored 12 more goals than Man U. We got top 4 the year before and were in the running for quite a while last season before really faulting down the stretch mainly due to our sht defense. Now, some of our defensive problems I do think can be blamed on our passive style of play, however with good defenders he's shown it can work.

That said. As a tactically rigid, negative nancy who doesn't give players freedom or belief to play to their max ability...I do think Conte deserves criticism and Ange deserves a lot of praise. But we're NOT that far off from feeling about Conte the way we currently feel about Ange...so I think a lot of the negative criticism for Conte is probably overblown.

Don't get me wrong. I never loved Conte. I love Ange as much as anyone. However, I do think Conte gets a little too much flack tactically. We weren't THAT bad to watch last year. Our problem was we just shipped away goals. We were 5th in goals scored. We scored 12 more goals than Man U. We got top 4 the year before and were in the running for quite a while last season before really faulting down the stretch mainly due to our sht defense. Now, some of our defensive problems I do think can be blamed on our passive style of play, however with good defenders he's shown it can work.

That said. As a tactically rigid, negative nancy who doesn't give players freedom or belief to play to their max ability...I do think Conte deserves criticism and Ange deserves a lot of praise. But we're NOT that far off from feeling about Conte the way we currently feel about Ange...so I think a lot of the negative criticism for Conte is probably overblown.

We were fucking dreadful to watch last year.

Most of the revisionist history about Conte is ridiculous.

But we spent a lot of last season not even trying to score goals in first halves, it was incredibly bizarre.

Don't get me wrong. I never loved Conte. I love Ange as much as anyone. However, I do think Conte gets a little too much flack tactically. We weren't THAT bad to watch last year.

Sorry, I just can't agree with this. Last seasons football was some of the worst i've seen in my 40+ years of watching spurs.

Going back to the dark times of the 90's, at least it was still entertaining, although very unsuccessful. But last year under Conte, I just wanted to switch off and pray for the end of the season until he left.

Luckily, he fucked off early.

I got my first season ticket after waiting many years starting with Nuno. Nuno was gone very quickly of course but despite finishing 4th (and that night against Woolwich), the football was fucking awful and I couldn't justify spending £1300 to watch it in person (plus food/travel costs) knowing it would be more of the same.

The last four years have been disgraceful, with Conte being the biggest disappointment of all.

Inflexible, arrogant, inept and ultimately damaging to so many players, a few of which are now thriving.

I'm also now way down the ST list again, so thanks Conte.

Yes we were, it was fucking awful football week in week out all through the season

Yes we were, it was fucking awful football week in week out all through the season
Yes the first halves were a disgrace where game after gane we would come out in a sleepwalk!
It never changed despite the BS from the manager and players post match that it was intentional. Even the 2nd halves we would come out a bit more fired up. Plus that disgraceful of going behind in every game and conceding 2 goals for like 13 games on the bounce. That great tactical coach did or couldn’t do anything about it.

If you take his career as a whole, clearly Conte is an elite manager, however I think you touched on it when you said, "with good defenders he's shown it can work".

Tottenham weren't the ready-made squad geared for success that he's perhaps benefited from previously, and he didn't really manage to have them overperform what was expected of them.

Ange obviously hasn't operated at the same level as Conte, bit he's shown consistently throughout his career that he can take a squad of players, coach them to play a dominant style of football and be successful doing it.

Early days and all that, but already his ability to improve player performance has been a hallmark of what he's achieved so far.

If you take his career as a whole, clearly Conte is an elite manager, however I think you touched on it when you said, "with good defenders he's shown it can work".

Tottenham weren't the ready-made squad geared for success that he's perhaps benefited from previously, and he didn't really manage to have them overperform what was expected of them.

Ange obviously hasn't operated at the same level as Conte, bit he's shown consistently throughout his career that he can take a squad of players, coach them to play a dominant style of football and be successful doing it.

Early days and all that, but already his ability to improve player performance has been a hallmark of what he's achieved so far.

I'd actually dispute that he's elite, terrible record in Europe and only a couple of cup wins - good league title record but it appears to come at the expense of everything else

I think this is a bit revisionist. We had plenty of good spells under Conte. We scored a lot of goals. We dominated some teams. We had some beautiful build up at times. No one was complaining about our style of play when we beat Woolwich 3-0 or beat Man City 3-2 on the road. I don’t think counter attacking football is always this negative thing people think in retrospect. You don’t have to play around with the ball in your own box to be good to watch. The biggest things that made us tough to watch was our terrible defending at times and our tendency to not show up for the first half. Which led to alot of bad results. And these spells where we would just get totally dominated by aggressive teams. One of the biggest was the first Man U game last year. That was when I really had doubts about Conte being successful here. I think people act like Conte was all bad all the time when in reality it declined fairly rapidly. He really wasn’t getting much criticism until we went out in the FA and CL. However he was never the right coach for me. I want a coach who can have his best 3 players out and you still feel like you will give it a go and have a chance. Never felt like that under the Mourinho/Conte days.

I think this is a bit revisionist. We had plenty of good spells under Conte. We scored a lot of goals. We dominated some teams. We had some beautiful build up at times. No one was complaining about our style of play when we beat Woolwich 3-0 or beat Man City 3-2 on the road. I don’t think counter attacking football is always this negative thing people think in retrospect. You don’t have to play around with the ball in your own box to be good to watch. The biggest things that made us tough to watch was our terrible defending at times and our tendency to not show up for the first half. Which led to alot of bad results. And these spells where we would just get totally dominated by aggressive teams. One of the biggest was the first Man U game last year. That was when I really had doubts about Conte being successful here. I think people act like Conte was all bad all the time when in reality it declined fairly rapidly. He really wasn’t getting much criticism until we went out in the FA and CL. However he was never the right coach for me. I want a coach who can have his best 3 players out and you still feel like you will give it a go and have a chance. Never felt like that under the Mourinho/Conte days.

Assuming you mean 'last year' as in the 21/22 season and not last season then I have you right, some games were pretty fun to watch and we played some good football, last season though was the pits, had about 3 complete 90 min performances and 1 of them came when Conte wasn't managing the team.

I weren’t even bothered about watching us towards the end of Contes Reign, I felt like we lost our identity as a club - we were boring !

None for of that is true wrt our play last seaaon asides from the number of goals and that was purely down to Kane having a spectacular individual season. Pretty sure the forums match threads woukd show that there is no revisionism here, we were muck.

Back
Top Bottom