Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Inpressed him? Bet Ange devoured a giant bucket of super hot wings and washed it down with a naga chilli vodka as H looked on.
Then dropped his guts, looked Kane in the eye and said "better out than in."

Kane then demanded that his contract extension be brought to him then and there.

For an insight into what Kane will be thinking:

Ryan Christie admits to having second thoughts about leaving Celtic after the arrival of Ange Postecoglou and says the manager's success comes as no surprise.

Celtic can make it a clean sweep of domestic honours with Scottish Cup final victory over Inverness Caledonian Thistle, where the Scotland midfielder began his career.

"I got to see first hand for a couple of months how good Ange was," said Christie, who moved to Bournemouth in the summer of 2021.

"It was one of the main things in my head when I was thinking about staying.

"I was really impressed and it's not a surprise to me what Celtic have done since he came through the door.

"I got a pre-season under him and I loved the way he wanted to play and loved the way he got his point across on the training pitch.

"He was so all or nothing with his beliefs. When you have that absolute mindset, it normally pays off and you're seeing that with the Celtic team right now."
Hardly comparable.

They actually approved that shitty proposed change?

When Wenger spearheaded the group that suggested this change, I expected they would, but my god how fucking stupid it is. It is supposed to make offside calls less marginal and controversial, but does not address that "problem" at all. All thus does is change where the line is drawn.

And what does changing where the line is drawn do? It increases the risk of high-line defending, and increases the efficiency of through balls into space. It will change the dynamics of defending and attacking tactical play, most likely into more bus-parking defending and more attempts to play early through-balls to runners in attack.

Like most changes to rules in football, this seems to have been decided by fucking morons who fail to see the consequences (how it would change defending, most off all) and who think it will have some benefits that it most definately will not (less marginal and controversial decisions).
I agree. If there was a change to be made to the implementation of VAR offsides it should have been a 'buffer' of uncertainty if the margin is too narrow to conclusively tell based on resolution and frame rate (i.e. let it remain onside).

As you say, this Wenger change is just more of the same forensic camerawork with additional crucifying of defenders by the pace merchants.

For an insight into what Kane will be thinking:

Ryan Christie admits to having second thoughts about leaving Celtic after the arrival of Ange Postecoglou and says the manager's success comes as no surprise.

Celtic can make it a clean sweep of domestic honours with Scottish Cup final victory over Inverness Caledonian Thistle, where the Scotland midfielder began his career.

"I got to see first hand for a couple of months how good Ange was," said Christie, who moved to Bournemouth in the summer of 2021.

"It was one of the main things in my head when I was thinking about staying.

"I was really impressed and it's not a surprise to me what Celtic have done since he came through the door.

"I got a pre-season under him and I loved the way he wanted to play and loved the way he got his point across on the training pitch.

"He was so all or nothing with his beliefs. When you have that absolute mindset, it normally pays off and you're seeing that with the Celtic team right now."
Ryan who? Seriously you aren’t comparing some cunt no/one has heard of to the best striker in the world

They actually approved that shitty proposed change?

When Wenger spearheaded the group that suggested this change, I expected they would, but my god how fucking stupid it is. It is supposed to make offside calls less marginal and controversial, but does not address that "problem" at all. All thus does is change where the line is drawn.

And what does changing where the line is drawn do? It increases the risk of high-line defending, and increases the efficiency of through balls into space. It will change the dynamics of defending and attacking tactical play, most likely into more bus-parking defending and more attempts to play early through-balls to runners in attack.

Like most changes to rules in football, this seems to have been decided by fucking morons who fail to see the consequences (how it would change defending, most off all) and who think it will have some benefits that it most definately will not (less marginal and controversial decisions).
What I don’t get is why they just shoehorn in these ideas without trying them out…. Pilot it a certain league, or works tournament and assess how it goes. Imagine a business just doing a Hail Mary and introducing a new e commerce system without testing it

What I don’t get is why they just shoehorn in these ideas without trying them out…. Pilot it a certain league, or works tournament and assess how it goes. Imagine a business just doing a Hail Mary and introducing a new e commerce system without testing it

In addition to the stupidity behind the suggested rule change that I pointed out in my previous post, I do not think the morons in charge understands the effect this has to players having spent years working on their timing. Haaland is a prime example: His timing is almost flawless. Barely ever runs into offside. Whereas others, such as Son, could benefit greatly from now being judged onside when he times his runs like he always did. This change could greatly shift the game in favour of those who have historically misstimed their runs.

Even if they do test this change, they would end up with whatever conclusion they want - as they did with VAR and have done with other changes.

In addition to the stupidity behind the suggested rule change that I pointed out in my previous post, I do not think the morons in charge understands the effect this has to players having spent years working on their timing. Haaland is a prime example: His timing is almost flawless. Barely ever runs into offside. Whereas others, such as Son, could benefit greatly from now being judged onside when he times his runs like he always did. This change could greatly shift the game in favour of those who have historically misstimed their runs.

Even if they do test this change, they would end up with whatever conclusion they want - as they did with VAR and have done with other changes.
I was staggered they thrust VAR straight in without really testing it

I agree. If there was a change to be made to the implementation of VAR offsides it should have been a 'buffer' of uncertainty if the margin is too narrow to conclusively tell based on resolution and frame rate (i.e. let it remain onside).

As you say, this Wenger change is just more of the same forensic camerawork with additional crucifying of defenders by the pace merchants.
It would make the sport less enjoyable to me. It's the difference between Harry Kane, who scores a lot of his goals by skill and craft, and put a premium on finding pure athletes like Haaland who rely more on the pace of their runs and size. That's not to say Haaland isn't an extraordinary player, but he's pretty much a straight line player.

Hardly comparable.

Thought I would check on his first season at Celtic.

Won the league, the league cup, Scottish cup knocked out in the semis by rangers.

Domestically not too shabby. In a two horse race he won 2 out 3 times.

However the saying you can only beat the team put in front of you is apt when you play in Scotland every week.

Europa Conference league they got put in the knockout round playoffs after losing in a CL qualifier to Midtjylland(!?!) and then being knocked out in the group stages of the EL.

So Europa Conference they played Bodo Glint in February 2022.
Lost 5-1 on aggregate. Including 3-1 loss at home.

Think that highlights the “strength” of the Scottish league.

Totally different ball game now. Man needs time rather than people saying “he will win you a trophy he’s a guaranteed winner” etc etc.

He’s really not. Bodo fucking Glint.

Europa Conference league they got put in the knockout round playoffs after losing in a CL qualifier to Midtjylland(!?!) and then being knocked out in the group stages of the EL.

Weren't those games his first in charge?

How did the Europa Conference League winners that year do against Bodo Glimt, by chance?

Totally different ball game now. Man needs time rather than people saying “he will win you a trophy he’s a guaranteed winner” etc etc.

I like the fact that he raised his Aussie & Japanese clubs from meh to champs (something that encourages me more than Celtic doing what they're meant to do by smashing the SPL); but all the hyperbole and "guarantees" don't serve to do the bloke any favours......

Just let the guy breath and do his thing.

Thought I would check on his first season at Celtic.

Won the league, the league cup, Scottish cup knocked out in the semis by rangers.

Domestically not too shabby. In a two horse race he won 2 out 3 times.

However the saying you can only beat the team put in front of you is apt when you play in Scotland every week.

Think that highlights the “strength” of the Scottish league.

Mate, you can’t actually do research and spit facts. That’s not really fair on everybody else who want to live in their little dreamworld.
Spoilsport.
:ange-bored2:

It would make the sport less enjoyable to me. It's the difference between Harry Kane, who scores a lot of his goals by skill and craft, and put a premium on finding pure athletes like Haaland who rely more on the pace of their runs and size. That's not to say Haaland isn't an extraordinary player, but he's pretty much a straight line player.
Leaving aside all the practical and philosophical problems with messing with the offside rule and enforcement via VAR, what football is losing and should be fighting to protect is the ability for players to be creative and expressive on the ball.

Coordinated pressing and the constriction of the field forces all players to play the same way and posses the same set of skills in a way that takes away some of the magic of the game.

In theory, making high line defending more difficult introduces a greater variety of potential playstyles, which is exactly what the game should be looking for.

But that's where we hit back into the practical and philosophical implementation problems, which are many.

Back
Top Bottom