Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just seems to me that people will continue claiming we're in a rebuild unless we win something.

Take the rest of the day off, son. We're clearly in a rebuild. I understand it's frustrating that we permanently seem to be in one but it's Ange's FIRST season and we were absolute bollocks the previous season. We need to stick with Ange (and back him with players).

We have the same number points at this stage of the season than we did for the whole of last season - progress.

Isn't that literally the case with everyone, everyone is in transition until they win because the end destination is winning a trophy, that's where we want to get to don't we?

Arteta is still talking about phase 4 of 5 by the way and they're 5 years deep into their project.
No, a rebuild is when you get a new set of players, we did that already.

No, I'm saying is we were now top of the PL with the same players, the rebuild would be over. Or if we were still playing like we were for the first 10 matches, nobody was claiming rebuild then, It's just something people, saay when we play poorly.

I don't know what 'body' you are talking about but this is something I've personally maintained throughout the season and why wouldn't anyone else, no one in their right mind would have thought we were anywhere the finished article this season despite our strong start.

Yeah you’re right. It’s not just us, but football fandom in a nutshell.

Social media probably hasn’t helped, it’s encouraged people to be overreactionary
Yeah, i remember loads of moaning in the ground and pub pre internet about rubbish performances, and various players (less so owners and managers) but generally it was forgotten 2 hours after a match. Now the autopsy of a shite performance drags on for forever it seems so you get overreactions.

No, a rebuild is when you get a new set of players, we did that already.

IYO, but it seems like you've got the word wrong or it's confusing you.

If you acknowledged yourself that we still need more players for this manager then how can a rebuild be complete?

Maybe rebuild is the wrong word, how about process :sonpoint:

Take the rest of the day off, son. We're clearly in a rebuild. I understand it's frustrating that we permanently seem to be in one but it's Ange's FIRST season and we were absolute bollocks the previous season. We need to stick with Ange (and back him with players).

We have the same number points at this stage of the season than we did for the whole of last season - progress.
Last I heard from you was all the disagrees you gave me about not wanting to buy Werner at the end of his loan spell. However now that you've posted something let me ask you, how many players do you think we bought in the last 3 years? Enough to call it a rebuild or not, I say so, it's just that it hasn't worked so its ongoing. You do realise that it's possible to rebuild and forthat rebuild to not work, So what we're doing is being in a continous rebuild because what we've done so far hasn't worked. ''Rebuild'' on here is an excuse for not playing well. We have a whole new back line, new forwards, new midfeild, we've had a rebuild already, get it?

Last edited:
Some people not really sure what a rebuild is, I guess. Just signing players isn't a rebuild. Especially for managers who aren't interested in rebuilding.

Go and look at Pochettino, Nunos, Mourinhos, Conte's squads.

Lloris, Davies, Dier, Sanchez, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Reguilon, Sessegnon, Kane, Son, Lucas, Winks, Hojbjerg, Skipp... The constant.

10 of those were at the club and in the squad last season. Fast forward today.

8 of those aren't even at the club right now. At least four of them will be sold in the summer...

We've done an incredible turnover of squad in the last 8 months. Again, the first proper rebuild we've done since Pochettino's second season when after assessing his squad, sold the lot of them that didn't suit (Kaboul, Ade, Soldado, Fazio etc) - and it took him a few seasons to get things right and get the right pieces in.

IYO, but it seems like you've got the word wrong or it's confusing you.

If you acknowledged yourself that we still need more players for this manager then how can a rebuild be complete?

Maybe rebuild is the wrong word, how about process :sonpoint:
We need better players because we've fucked up the rebuild, I don't know why you find it so difficult to understand.

Small portion of this fanbase hasnt got the spine for a rebuild. It's evident.

You don't rebuild a team in one summer.

All I hear from this fanbase is whinge whinge whinge after every match if we're not playing like prime Barca.

Go through this thread you'll laugh at some of the comments in comparison to now.

All well and good when it's in the Summer and things are generally looking rosy because of nothing other than hope but when it comes down to it these people can't hack any sort of losses or bad moments because they lack patience.

Conte said the players can't hack pressure, pretty sure the fans can't either.

Last edited:
We need better players because we've fucked up the rebuild, I don't know why you find it so difficult to understand.

Yeah you're right if we sign better players we have a better chance of winning matches, someone should pass that onto the Spurs hierarchy, it might catch on.

No, we haven't 'fucked up the rebuild'. We've progressed since last season - and that's fucking evident. We may not have progressed fast enough for you but it's clear that we've improved (and that's a fact so it's not up for debate.

Rome was not built in a day.

No, we haven't 'fucked up the rebuild'. We've progressed since last season - and that's fucking evident. We may not have progressed fast enough for you but it's clear that we've improved (and that's a fact so it's not up for debate.

Rome was not built in a day.
The rebuild started when we bought LoCelso, Ndombelle, then onto Kulusevski, Bentancur, Persisic Richarlison, Romero, then Bissouma, Sarr, Porro, Udogie, Vicario, VDV Johnson, Maddison, et al

We've built a whole new team. So you're now claiming that we're rebuilding the rebuild?

The rebuild started when we bought LoCelso, Ndombelle, then onto Kulusevski, Bentancur, Persisic Richarlison, Romero, then Bissouma, Sarr, Porro, Udogie, Vicario, VDV Johnson, Maddison, et al

We've built a whole new team. So you're now claiming that we're rebuilding the rebuild?

All of those were across five different managers. How can that be a rebuild? 😂

You're just naming signing.

If that's the case, every single team rebuilds every summer

No. I'm claiming that we're in the middle of a rebuild / project - call it what you like.

Let me rephrase - did you think that bringing in Ange would lead immediately to trophies in one season?

I've just laid out the facts to you re points and progression. Not my fault if posters like you don't have the patience/stomach for it.

Edit: You've just listed signings - you do know a re-build is about more than just signing players, right? Christ alive.

I had a chuckle at that as well, incredibly arbitrary timeline means you can shape the argument to which ever way you want it.

In his world you can only have a successful rebuild in the Summer unless you win something straight away, so we're saying that pretty much every team who don't win have fucked up their recruitment and rebuilds 😆

We've got a new back line including goalkeeper, new midfield except PEH who only has a bit part now ditto LoCelso. New forwards apart from Son. Our team has been rebuilt but not rebuilt well enough, so what do we do, sell Richarlison Kulusevski etc....because they were bought for a different manager. We all knew Conte wasn't going to stay, so those players were surely bought with a new manager in mind.

My point is when we're playing well and our players are winning, nobody cries about a rebuild then, it's just a habit when we can see our players not performing well, ''Oh it's because we're in a rebuild''.

No. I'm claiming that we're in the middle of a rebuild / project - call it what you like.

Let me rephrase - did you think that bringing in Ange would lead immediately to trophies in one season?

I've just laid out the facts to you re points and progression. Not my fault if posters like you don't have the patience/stomach for it.

Edit: You've just listed signings - you do know a re-build is about more than just signing players, right? Christ alive.
A rebuild is signing a new set of players. We've done that since Poch left.

So yes a rebuild is a list of signings, that's how I define it anyway. I don't expect Ange to be winning anything soon, he's implementing his tactics or whatever it is. I can recall pundits stating we needed a rebuild towards the end of Poch's time, well we've done that. if our players can;t adjust to Ange's style so we need to rebuild again, it's simply a poor show in my view.

A rebuild is signing a new set of players. We've done that since Poch left.

So yes a rebuild is a list of signings, that's how I define it anyway. I don't expect Ange to be winning anything soon, he's implementing his tactics or whatever it is. I can recall pundits stating we needed a rebuild towards the end of Poch's time, well we've done that. if our players can;t adjust to Ange's style so we need to rebuild again, it's simply a poor show in my view.

Well you've defined it wrong then. Byeeeeeeee

:tanguythumb:

We've got a new back line including goalkeeper, new midfield except PEH who only has a bit part now ditto LoCelso. New forwards apart from Son. Our team has been rebuilt but not rebuilt well enough, so what do we do, sell Richarlison Kulusevski etc....because they were bought for a different manager. We all knew Conte wasn't going to stay, so those players were surely bought with a new manager in mind.

My point is when we're playing well and our players are winning, nobody cries about a rebuild then, it's just a habit when we can see our players not performing well, ''Oh it's because we're in a rebuild''.

Look at the Newcastle game as an example. 7 of the starting 11 either weren't here last season or didn't start for us...

Compare that to the team that lost 6-1 to Newcastle last year... Lloris, Davies, Dier, Perisic, Kane... Five players that are no longer here. Skipp and Hojbjerg in midfield..

Year before? Lloris, Dier, Kane, Son, Hojbjerg, Skipp... Same. Shit. Two different managers.

Signing for the future has started over the last few seasons (Udogie, Sarr as examples) but neither of those two were here or were starting under the previous manager because he didn't care about rebuilding.

The rebuild started in the summer. When we got rid of half the team that blessed Poch, Mourinho, Nuno and Conte.,

Naming the likes of Gil or Bentancur isn't proof that we've been in a constant rebuild. They're just signings provided to a manager because they were gettable.

In the summer, the rebuild will continue (because rebuilds aren't completed in one summer) when we'll continue to see the remnants of the previous managers squads leave. The likes of Hojbjerg, Lo Celso, Sessegnon, perhaps Richarlison etc.

And Ange starts to build HIS squad.

Last edited:
Seems strange that almost everyone agrees that the EPL is a massive step up from the SPL, yet there are some not willing to give the manager time to adjust to that.

Ange came in and had a pretty much imediate impact, it was always going to be a big ask to maintain that, so it's proven to be a bit of a false dawn.

However I still think there has been a sizable improvement under Ange and that will continue. IF he's given support and time.

Back
Top Bottom