Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Trust you to spectacularly miss the point, you utter dumbo 😆

You're having a mare this morning, log off for a few days and focus on being a better human if your actual day job is to serve and protect.
If everyone was more like shady , the world would be a far better place

No, sure. Of course, you can’t be a dosser.

But mentality isn’t enough at the very summit. Madrid aren’t who they are because they want it more. They have the best, most technically gifted collection of players possible. And then they add mentality on top.

I’m not under estimating effort and seriousness of intent. And every team needs work horses. But for our front line, we need gifted, skilful players that see space, can beat their defender and can cross and shoot instinctively.

Harry is one of the most gifted finishers on the planet. That goal against Palace in his last season. One touch, second touch bottom left.

That’s ability, not mentality.

It's both actually.

Judging over a certain period of games is pointless anyway. Too many mitigating circumstances.

First 10? Amazing. 26/30 points possible. The best ever start to a Premier League campaign by a new manager and by Spurs. But some will have you believe it's because he was new, an unknown quantity and no one knew what to expect. Despite the league apparently consisting of the best coaches in world football and all the technology at hand to tell them what we do.

Next 5? Not so good. 1 draw and 4 losses. But again, injury ravaged. Emerson and Davies at centre back.

The following 16 after that? Pretty good. 10 wins, 3 draws and 3 losses (1 away at Brighton when we were missing Romero, van de Ven, Maddison, Bissouma and Bentancur and has to play Davies/Royal at CB). Highlight being a destruction of Villa away from home. We mustered up just over 2 PPG during this period. About 78 points over the course of a season.

Then the last 6? Well, we all know the results. But then we were playing the two best teams in the country (Woolwich and City) and two teams in which we never win away from home (Liverpool and Chelsea).

Ultimately, he'll be judged on a 38 game season. Not 5 games here and there picked and chosen throughout a campaign. And he's on course for getting 66 points, qualifying for Europe all whilst joining the club in the midst of protests, losing his best player, an unsuitable squad and dealing with an injury crisis I've never seen at the club before and probably never will.

Next season though is the true judgement. Because now he's seen it and breathed it. He has experience to go off and build on. He knows who's capable and who isn't.
Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

No you’re being a total prat as usual.

Society set certain things apart from free speech a long time ago. The rest is fair game and nobody gets to arbitrarily say you’re not allowed to say shit like you want us to lose.

‘well ur not allowed 2 be racist so why should u be allowed to say we should lose?’

Absolute car-crash.
Thick as mince

And the hilarious part is that he is so utterly convinced of his genius

I thought when you brought in Ange he would do very well for you and he still may well do but I think he completely misread the room around the City match.
I fully empathise with your supporters wanting to lose rather than see Woolwich win the league and cannot understand the level of criticism against you.
Ange obviously doesnt understand the partisanship of English fans , sometimes winning is not the most important thing.
I remember way back in 71 when Radford scored at WHL to give the first part of the double I would imagine many of you will remember the pain of that.
As an Evertonian 86 was a horrendous year for us Liverpool won the double when I will always believe it should have been us, Then we had to endure a joint victory parade with the RS in the front buses with the trophies in there hands while our players were in the back buses with just there dicks in there hands.
Needless to say I didnt attend the parade

I thought when you brought in Ange he would do very well for you and he still may well do but I think he completely misread the room around the City match.
I fully empathise with your supporters wanting to lose rather than see Woolwich win the league and cannot understand the level of criticism against you.
Ange obviously doesnt understand the partisanship of English fans , sometimes winning is not the most important thing.
I remember way back in 71 when Radford scored at WHL to give the first part of the double I would imagine many of you will remember the pain of that.
As an Evertonian 86 was a horrendous year for us Liverpool won the double when I will always believe it should have been us, Then we had to endure a joint victory parade with the RS in the front buses with the trophies in there hands while our players were in the back buses with just there dicks in there hands.
Needless to say I didnt attend the parade

Well you had Liverpool recently win the league so probably get it. Its complex and there are multiple factors.

1 obviously the banter, which is more than just annoying, having a whole season of Arse as defending champions. son heung min as an Woolwich hero for scoring that goal, ‘‘son heung min he is one of our own’’ sung by Arse fan. Just tiring.

2 the indirect factors such as Arse becoming even more attractive to top players potentially putting them further ahead of us. That is actually the biggest rational factor, hard to quantify as it could be small or it could be 5-10 years of Arse dominance.

3 The Leicester ‘fairytale’ when multiple teams downed tools for them and our rivals openly spoke about giving everything to stop us. Then in the CL final Arse fans in opinion polling admitting they would lose the Europa League final if it meant we lost the CL final against Liverpool which happened. The idea we have to be uniquely honourable when others aren’t was proper gaslighting. The odd need for us to be chivalrous was kind of hilarious.

I think Ange was just angry and probably should not have been doing a post match. The only issue from me is why he and the players weren’t pumped for Arse, Chelsea or Newcastle game to the same degree. I don’t think it really has much impact with fans but obviously if he did continue with this form next season and get bad with the fans Levy will show him the door. I think he will end up doing well but it’s hard to tell, this is by far his biggest job (no disrespect to Celtic) and he may or may not be out of his depth, we will see next season.

How true are the rumours Ange going to manu???

Probably zero. They are a bigger mess than us and if he left after just one season he would have for the first time in his career a massive failure on his CV. He was at Celtic for one season and Brighton offered him the job before De Zerbi and he turned them down, only left for us after winning the treble. He would look so weak if he tried that.

Judging over a certain period of games is pointless anyway. Too many mitigating circumstances.

First 10? Amazing. 26/30 points possible. The best ever start to a Premier League campaign by a new manager and by Spurs. But some will have you believe it's because he was new, an unknown quantity and no one knew what to expect. Despite the league apparently consisting of the best coaches in world football and all the technology at hand to tell them what we do.

Next 5? Not so good. 1 draw and 4 losses. But again, injury ravaged. Emerson and Davies at centre back.

The following 16 after that? Pretty good. 10 wins, 3 draws and 3 losses (1 away at Brighton when we were missing Romero, van de Ven, Maddison, Bissouma and Bentancur and has to play Davies/Royal at CB). Highlight being a destruction of Villa away from home. We mustered up just over 2 PPG during this period. About 78 points over the course of a season.

Then the last 6? Well, we all know the results. But then we were playing the two best teams in the country (Woolwich and City) and two teams in which we never win away from home (Liverpool and Chelsea).

Ultimately, he'll be judged on a 38 game season. Not 5 games here and there picked and chosen throughout a campaign. And he's on course for getting 66 points, qualifying for Europe all whilst joining the club in the midst of protests, losing his best player, an unsuitable squad and dealing with an injury crisis I've never seen at the club before and probably never will.

Next season though is the true judgement. Because now he's seen it and breathed it. He has experience to go off and build on. He knows who's capable and who isn't.

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

No, sure. Of course, you can’t be a dosser.

But mentality isn’t enough at the very summit. Madrid aren’t who they are because they want it more. They have the best, most technically gifted collection of players possible. And then they add mentality on top.

I’m not under estimating effort and seriousness of intent. And every team needs work horses. But for our front line, we need gifted, skilful players that see space, can beat their defender and can cross and shoot instinctively.

Harry is one of the most gifted finishers on the planet. That goal against Palace in his last season. One touch, second touch bottom left.

That’s ability, not mentality.
I'm not for a minute suggesting that we overlook talent, nor am I suggesting that the mentality is only found in 'work horses.'

Real Madrid have more than just a the most technically gifted players, those players also have that elite mentality. That's what got them to the top in the first place.

I'm trying to think of a suitable comparison, and the best one I can think of is Ronaldo and Nani. Nani was touted as the next Ronaldo, had all the talent, had all the arrogance, but he was a mental midget.

As for Kane, he maximised his talent because he's an absolute mentality monster. His self belief and driven to improve himself constantly is comparable with Ronaldo. Kane absolutely is talented, but do you think he achieved a tenth of his personal accolades just on talent alone? Mentality elevated him, otherwise his full talent is never realised.

Needless to say I didnt attend the parade.
I cannot believe he doesn't understand it. If Celtic were in the same position against Rangers they would probably try and get the match abandoned so the points were awarded to the opposition. I listened to a Tottenham podcast last night and guest on there, an actor actually, brought up an example of Brazilian fans literally throwing themselves off the stadium to their deaths because they lost to Uruguay. It is an extreme example but his point was that if Ange doesn't understand football support then why does he like football in the first place? He can't possibly be so thick not get it. It is reason why the NLD can be sold for massive sums around the world.

Further, the reason I love football is because of shit like last night. Supporting Tottenham (or Everton) is more than just 22 players kicking a ball on a bit of grass.; it is quasi-religious, for me actually religious because I have no religion. And thank god (lol) it is because life would a lot worse without the ritual, devotion and hate that football brings.

I cannot believe he doesn't understand it. If Celtic were in the same position against Rangers they would probably try and get the match abandoned so the points were awarded to the opposition. I listened to a Tottenham podcast last night and guest on there, an actor actually, brought up an example of Brazilian fans literally throwing themselves off the stadium to their deaths because they lost to Uruguay. It is an extreme example but his point was that if Ange doesn't understand football support then why does he like football in the first place? He can't possibly be so thick not get it. It is reason why the NLD can be sold for massive sums around the world.

Further, the reason I love football is because of shit like last night. Supporting Tottenham (or Everton) is more than just 22 players kicking a ball on a bit of grass.; it is quasi-religious, for me actually religious because I have no religion. And thank god (lol) it is because life would a lot worse without the ritual, devotion and hate that football brings.
Life would be worse without hate?

Jesus...

I still think most of the Ange outburst is born from losing 5 out of 6 matches , this seems like pure deflection on his part.
If we beat Wolves home and away, Fulham away etc we wouldn't be having any outburst at all, a lot of this is down to him unfortunately.

I'm not for a minute suggesting that we overlook talent, nor am I suggesting that the mentality is only found in 'work horses.'

Real Madrid have more than just a the most technically gifted players, those players also have that elite mentality. That's what got them to the top in the first place.

I'm trying to think of a suitable comparison, and the best one I can think of is Ronaldo and Nani. Nani was touted as the next Ronaldo, had all the talent, had all the arrogance, but he was a mental midget.

As for Kane, he maximised his talent because he's an absolute mentality monster. His self belief and driven to improve himself constantly is comparable with Ronaldo. Kane absolutely is talented, but do you think he achieved a tenth of his personal accolades just on talent alone? Mentality elevated him, otherwise his full talent is never realised.
None of this justifies the continued trundling out of Pierre Emile fucking Hojbjerg though...

It's graft over craft gone mad.

It's more a case of lack of craft being mistaken for graft in fact...

Ronaldo and Queresma

They said that Queresma was one of the best ever talents to come out of Lisbon and had a ridiculously high level of technical ability and was touted to have a better career than Ronaldo.

Both their careers went the opposite directions and the rest is history.

None of this justifies the continued trundling out of Pierre Emile fucking Hojbjerg though...

It's graft over craft gone mad.

It's more a case of lack of craft being mistaken for graft in fact...
Behave. The only reason he got a look in, in the first place, was because our midfield got decimated. Prior to that, he got a few minutes to close matches out.

Regardless, he'll be off in the Summer, and I fully expect that we'll improve on him.

Kane absolutely is talented, but do you think he achieved a tenth of his personal accolades just on talent alone?
It’s a nice question to ponder. Impossible to determine, but fun all the same.

Of course he has insane drive. But again, there’s a technical craft to football that is inante. That sense of balance and anticipation. The instinctive control. There are legions of strikers who even if they were as professional as Harry would never finish like him. Not to get down on our players, but it’s what I worry about with Johnson. There’s nothing exceptional about the way he receives the ball or moves off it. It’s all so structured. He might have the greatest mentality in the world, but his potential is more limited.

Anyway, it’s all a very roundabout way of saying we need fucking good players who are highly professional to boot.

EDIT: also, when I talk about technical skill, I don’t mean step overs and daft shit. I mean the way, for example, Mahrez controls the ball.

He should never address anyone in the crowd

A decent manager would have ignored him
I mean, a few things went wrong.

Firstly, apparently the fan was either saying something like "why didn't you care earlier in the season against Woolwich etc." and "throw the game" and so on, all of which I'd think about and joke about here, but I'd probably not actually shout it at the manager who I know can't rewind the past or throw the game.

Secondly, apparently Ange just wanted to know who was repeatedly telling him to throw it so he knew who they were - Arry Redknapp talks about fans that criticised him at West Ham behind the dugout. He gave one a game in preseason who scored and another one he never knew the face of but recognised the voice of in Dubai 20 years later. Sherwood offered his gilet and seat, etcetera, so these things happen...

My point is I wouldn't have said it, and Ange shouldn't have reacted, but it wasn't the end of the world and yeah, nobody should have been banned.

Back
Top Bottom