Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That’s all I was saying Arteta has had longer to work a “process” Postecoglou less than a year I’m not Ange in or out I want it to work for him, I’d back any manager if it was working on the park Ange has proved before according to Celtic fans he’s stubborn which is being proven re team selection and this set piece situation glaringly obvious we’re struggling or he’s unwilling to accept his style of play has flaws
According to fans who are in a 2 horse race he did well when in charge of one of the 2 horses.

You talk about a process without acknowledging the fact that a chancer like this wouldn't get a sniff at any of the other so called serious clubs in the league.

The last manager to come to the Prem from Scotland had Villa in relegation trouble until a serious professional replaced him and guess what that Villa team is above us in the league!

As long as this stubborn clown is in charge we won't achieve anything but it seems like there'll always be a stubborn idiotic base to support cos he says the right things, they're not Spurs fans because if they were they'd see through this charlatan.

People have blown the one little soundbite out of proportion. If you read the full quote it's obvious he's not saying set pieces aren't a problem. He literally says performances and defending on them are disappointing.

He's just saying that fixing the set pieces isn't "one secret trick" to solving our problems. There's a complex of stuff that needs working out and he's paying attention to all of it.

I reckon going into next season, not only will we be better defensively, but our set pieces will also be a lot better.

Of course the proof is in the pudding. Let's see what happens.
I'm going to stick my neck out here and say we might improve a little bit but the fans expecting us to be fighting for the title are going to be disappointed. Other teams will improve and I think our open style will mean we are always easy to score against. I doubt Ange shifts from his fundamentals enough here; he likes inverted fullbacks and the two CBs always have so much work to do in this system. We could definitely keep the ball better at the other end of the pitch, so I do see significant margin for improvement but I don't think our Plan A will ever be watertight enough to challenge for a title.

Depends what you want - if you are happy with 4th-6th and some crazy, gung ho and entraining football I think Ange is fine. I do feel you will be disappointed if you expect more than that.

Have to agree. He has a very good squad. I think Conte would have achieved much more with it. So would Poch
I'm as sceptical as you with Postecogolou, but I disagree on the strength of our squad.
It's average. And with Levy / ENIC, we'll continue to compliment it with 2nd or 3rd tier punts instead of shopping at the top end and buying the kind of players needed to compete consistently at the highest level.
And this will never change, despite being one of the wealthiest, highest revenue generating clubs on the planet.

Dear God I hope that's bravado (about a set piece coach)

If we're going to improve that's like a priority.

Anyway on the match I don't think tactics were a problem, created enough chances to win but we were naive and they killed us on our weak spots brutally.

Not looking at the coach today and asking questions
Let’s hope there’s more to his answer than meets the eye, and he’s just trying to avoid throwing whichever coach is responsible under the bus.

Same.

The bastards down the road are just really good right now. And let's not forget that they had similar issues when Arteta first rolled up. It took him time to get them fine tuned as they are now.

So I'm not sure if its fair to demand the same from Ange from less than a season of work. But I do expect that there will be changes behind the scenes in regards to set pieces. We've already seen the playstyle adapt to not be as balls to the wall as it was at the start.

This is why I said he needs to improve as a coach, can't be all on the board.

I like him hut if we're in the same spot this time next season then it's fair to ask questions.

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say we might improve a little bit but the fans expecting us to be fighting for the title are going to be disappointed. Other teams will improve and I think our open style will mean we are always easy to score against. I doubt Ange shifts from his fundamentals enough here; he likes inverted fullbacks and the two CBs always have so much work to do in this system. We could definitely keep the ball better at the other end of the pitch, so I do see significant margin for improvement but I don't think our Plan A will ever be watertight enough to challenge for a title.

Depends what you want - if you are happy with 4th-6th and some crazy, gung ho and entraining football I think Ange is fine. I do feel you will be disappointed if you expect more than that.

Without a change in finances as a club we will probably always be this irrespective of manager. Maybe Lange, Paratici combo over time will build an elite squad but it’s tough.

People have blown the one little soundbite out of proportion. If you read the full quote it's obvious he's not saying set pieces aren't a problem. He literally says performances and defending on them are disappointing.

He's just saying that fixing the set pieces isn't "one secret trick" to solving our problems. There's a complex of stuff that needs working out and he's paying attention to all of it.

I reckon going into next season, not only will we be better defensively, but our set pieces will also be a lot better.

Whats going to happen in close season that couldn't have happened already ?, with NO midweek matches he's had plemty of time to work on set piece defending and attacking,
Nothing will changes because he doesn't know what to do and to stubbon to as for help

no one was expecting winning the league. He's unprepared for matches it's that simple, aRSE had a congested schedule, but he can't control the players early in matches when they do what he tells them. When his plan goes out the window and it's comeback time, the team performs

Last edited:

It's obvious this season was getting the players to not be afraid to play a certain way. They've been drilled to playing fucking negative football for years and for some of them never touched Prem football before.

They'll be driven tactically in the summer, now the base is there. You can trace this back with every single Ange team and how much the second seasons of his teams are alot better tactically and defensively. But also alot more comfortable

But as usual, recruitment needs to be key.

According to fans who are in a 2 horse race he did well when in charge of one of the 2 horses.

You talk about a process without acknowledging the fact that a chancer like this wouldn't get a sniff at any of the other so called serious clubs in the league.

The last manager to come to the Prem from Scotland had Villa in relegation trouble until a serious professional replaced him and guess what that Villa team is above us in the league!

As long as this stubborn clown is in charge we won't achieve anything but it seems like there'll always be a stubborn idiotic base to support cos he says the right things, they're not Spurs fans because if they were they'd see through this charlatan.
The “process” was a piss take comment regarding Woolwich I wasn’t suggesting Postecoglou was undertaking a “process” he is hopefully steering us out of the dirge that we injured under Conte & Mourinho but it’s gone Pete Tong for whatever reason…. stubborness will be his downfall at the this level if he doesn’t rectify it and rectify it PDQ

In short, he has one way of playing and that’s it.

Wide forwards, inverted fullbacks, high line aggressive football.

When you have far better players than everyone else, it’s easy.

When you have average players like us, and shitty attackers, it sucks.

Whether it’s right or wrong I’ll be astounded if he’s here in 12 months time. I think he’ll combust before then.

The problem is hes got no plan B. Same system same players week after week regardless of what is happening

Whether it’s right or wrong I’ll be astounded if he’s here in 12 months time. I think he’ll combust before then.
I want him to stay long term, but football is a weak link sport. If we haven't improved on set pieces in 12 months, he wouldn't have any complaints if he was gone.

That’s all I was saying Arteta has had longer to work a “process” Postecoglou less than a year I’m not Ange in or out I want it to work for him, I’d back any manager if it was working on the park Ange has proved before according to Celtic fans he’s stubborn which is being proven re team selection and this set piece situation glaringly obvious we’re struggling or he’s unwilling to accept his style of play has flaws
Yeah I am the same. I am on the fence. You can’t say he has had a really good or bad season. It’s been Ok. I think as mentioned, he will have to admit he might have to adapt his philosophy & develop weaker areas rather than be so stubborn about it. It’s down to him. But at the end of day I think it’s just the difference between 4th & 7th due to enic & levy holding us back . Don’t expect us to be fighting for titles in 3 years like arteta. In fact it might shock you but more likely he will be sacked & then it’s on to the next levy project wohoooo.

A lot of bullshit spoken last summer about how "all Spurs fans want is a team that entertains, regardless of the result". We were portrayed as a fanbase that would clap and cheer if players were balancing the ball on the end of their nose even if we were 5-2 down. Just absolute lies.

I do not accept that we as a club need to choose between having a team that looks to be proactive and being a little more tactically sophisticated. We can have both.

And I really hope this manager is the one to do that. It's just that we need to see it sooner rather than later.

The problem is hes got no plan B. Same system same players week after week regardless of what is happening
If plan A includes defending from set
Pieces and corners he wouldn’t need a plan B!
How can a PL team not be acknowledging we have a problem and working on fixing it during training ?
Spend 2 weeks working on defending corners and we win today! Not in the Ange out camp at all yet but this is Sunday league stuff!

Back
Top Bottom