Amazon fly-on-the-wall documentary about Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can see why it's built around Mourinho as a storytelling choice, but it is obnoxious to have Poch totally airbrushed out of it. Like we don't even get him speaking to the team once.

It would have been nice to take one episode to exist in PochWorld without looking toward what was to come, which would better simulate the actual experience of the season.
It wouldn’t work as TV, though? No-one wants the protagonist to be removed and replaced partway through. Maybe for the proper fans, but for the casual viewer; and from a club perspective, we’d also want to focus on the now and the future, which is Jose, to help build global brand. The media’s about selling stuff, not telling the truth.

It wouldn’t work as TV, though? No-one wants the protagonist to be removed and replaced partway through. Maybe for the proper fans, but for the casual viewer; and from a club perspective, we’d also want to focus on the now and the future, which is Jose, to help build global brand. The media’s about selling stuff, not telling the truth.
Feels slightly like an advertisement for the club IMO.

Good points. You basically can't make anything other than a PR piece to some extent with these programmes that are set within current or very recent seasons: everyone is compromised by the immediacy of the events so you get very safe coverage that tries to show the protagonists in as good a light as possible, whilst not sticking the knife into anyone too much.

Compare this programme to something like The Last Dance on Netflix, made 20 years or so after the events. That programme is a genuine investigation and time has provided much opportunity to think, reflect and, in some cases, distort memory. As a result the programme that results is far more interesting, even though I personally am only a very slight basketball fan.

As someone who grew up idolizing that Bulls team I was a little frustrated by Last Dance as a recantation of stories I already knew, but what stories they are, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

As a general rule the level of behind the scenes access is going to have an inverse relationship with how honest and unvarnished the portrayal is. And the behind the scenes access of these All or Nothing docs are top notch.

For a different point on that spectrum I would highly recommend Sunderland Til I Die on Netflix. The best of this new breed of football documentaries I've seen.

I still don't understand the suggestion that it's "obnoxious"..... Who's being obnoxious?

As viewer it is somewhat irksome that a central figure of my lived experience of supporting Spurs in 2019-20 barely makes an appearance in this purported behind the scenes look at that season.

It's fine, it's not the end of the world, I'm still very much enjoying watching it.

This series isn't the place to litigate Poch vs Levy arguments of hyper-engaged Spurs supporters. What it does do is really frame and draw out the emotion of something like Mourinho pulling Dier off after half an hour against Olympiacos. That's compelling viewing in its own right, for Spurs supporters and casual viewers alike, which is the audience they're making this for.

It wouldn’t work as TV, though? No-one wants the protagonist to be removed and replaced partway

tumblr_inline_o6ijeq8tvd1rx6dqh_250.gifv

This series isn't the place to litigate Poch vs Levy arguments of hyper-engaged Spurs supporters. What it does do is really frame and draw out the emotion of something like Mourinho pulling Dier off after half an hour against Olympiacos. That's compelling viewing in its own right, for Spurs supporters and casual viewers alike, which is the audience they're making this for.

Totally agree... It's not going to provide the grit nor operational/tactical minutia that I think some had anticipated.... It never was; which is why I was never too concerned with the project on an 'exposé' level.

Did occur to me though; there was a contingent that upon announcement of the deal being struck saw it as a scandalous betrayal of Poch; lifting the lid on him in favour of a cynical cash-grab.... Truth is, that outlook massively glosses over the fact that he breached the sanctity of his own dressing room first (for his own personal financial gain) a number of years earlier with his book.

Did occur to me though; there was a contingent that upon announcement of the deal being struck saw it as a scandalous betrayal of Poch; lifting the lid on him in favour of a cynical cash-grab.... Truth is, that outlook massively glosses over the fact that he breached the sanctity of his own dressing room first (for his own personal financial gain) a number of years earlier with his book.

I don't remember that argument, but the book was a bad idea, fun as it was to read.

At the end of the day, we caught lightning in a bottle with Poch and for a variety of reasons we just couldn't quite hang onto it. His era at the club ending trophyless is going to be hard to swallow for the rest of my days. It will be harder still if the same is said of Harry Kane, so let's fucking go get it this year.

.... Truth is, that outlook massively glosses over the fact that he breached the sanctity of his own dressing room first (for his own personal financial gain) a number of years earlier with his book.
He absolutely didn’t do any of that - completely incomparable to an actual TV crew for reality television - what a shameless lie

Bearing in mind it's been suggested he'd largely already exiled himself from the players and become insular, perhaps that's all that was left of him to show.....
Suggested by who - internet ITKs like you on forums?

Poch was done harshly - stop trying to paint your boy as an innocent figure

It will be interesting to see what kind of viewing figures the documentary gets worldwide and whether it attracts a new legion of fans/people Levy can flog stuff to.
Mourinho is box office, he knows how the media works; e.g. the scene in which he turns off the tele and tells the presenter to f-off, was planned in advance.
I think the producers are going for a redemption narrative with Jose like Rocky Bilbao emerging triumphant when everyone had written him off.
I know a few Americans who support Spurs because they consider them a rough diamond.
Are they filming a second season out of interest?

Back
Top Bottom