Amazon fly-on-the-wall documentary about Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well he did this year and let a team worse than us in to win it.

Was never convinced Poch took FA/CC seriously. Said it himself: "trophies are for egos". Happy to judge Jose on this count too after he's been here for a few seasons. Jose has said he wants to win the Europe League 3 times out of 3. It's a start.

Was never convinced Poch took FA/CC seriously. Said it himself: "trophies are for egos". Happy to judge Jose on this count too after he's been here for a few seasons. Jose has said he wants to win the Europe League 3 times out of 3. It's a start.
In it to win it is the right attitude.

But when Mourinho turns round and says "We can't cope in all competitions, I must prioritise one" then in the space of a few games puts up a shocking surrender to Leipzig, followed by a poor draw to Burnley and out of the FA cup in quick succession, it's very, very poor.

In it to win it is the right attitude.

But when Mourinho turns round and says "We can't cope in all competitions, I must prioritise one" then in the space of a few games puts up a shocking surrender to Leipzig, followed by a poor draw to Burnley and out of the FA cup in quick succession, it's very, very poor.

I agree, I thought it was a load of rubbish and I don't want to see it again. But I assume it was crisis management given we were missing our entire front line for a few of the games that you mentioned. We'll see what happens next season but I am happy to give Jose a chance to see what he can do as our manager.

Honestly, in review, I think it's a crock of shit.

Things I wanted to see important things like the squad's reaction to the CL final defeat, the management's reaction to the defeat, first day of training etc. nothing. More fucking interested in some guy who worked with Mourinho having balloons on his socks and Dele trying to work out how to brush his teeth.

It's staged, it's edited and for those who think they are getting some sort of "inside scoop" I bet the inner workings of a football are little like what we've seen.

The only good thing to come out of it in my opinion is that Harry Kane is clearly the person and worker we all knew he was.

6 out of 10 for episode 1, 3 out of 10 for 2 and 3.

Oh and hasn't Mourinho got a fascination with "Big balls"

I can see why it's built around Mourinho as a storytelling choice, but it is obnoxious to have Poch totally airbrushed out of it. Like we don't even get him speaking to the team once.

It would have been nice to take one episode to exist in PochWorld without looking toward what was to come, which would better simulate the actual experience of the season.

I can see why it's built around Mourinho as a storytelling choice, but it is obnoxious to have Poch totally airbrushed out of it. Like we don't even get him speaking to the team once.

It would have been nice to take one episode to exist in PochWorld without looking toward what was to come, which would better simulate the actual experience of the season.

I totally get the storytelling choice but would have liked 1-2 eps in Poch world, a more realistic reflection of the season. But of course it's done to sell the choice of Mourinho (by Levy) to fans.

Enjoying the doc but it proves what we knew all along - the dressing room is full of wetwipes.

Even the seasoned pro's like Toby, Jan and Lloris seem incapable of holding people accountable.

Dele acting like a 14-year old, KWP scared of his own shadow, Winks scared of Mourinho's new training methods, Son crying all the time.

I think Mourinho was right in that it's a team of nice guys. He inherited a bunch of pussies and to be honest I don't know how easy it will be to remedy that.

I imagine that plays a role in why he seems to rate Dier so highly, we haven't seen it in the doc yet but he seems like one of the few that is willing to dig someone out.

Key storylines I'm keen to see:
- How Lo Celso's growing influence is covered
- Ndombele situation
- Dele's fall from grace

It's built up so much to show Levy and Mourinho are just fantastic guys who are super entertaining, super dedicated and just all round great guys. Poch came across as an emotional weakling who never had anything to say. It's like the season didn't start until November the 20th, and in writing off those three months, they filled the documentary with shite just to bulk it up.

We've just had a pretty shit season and we get shit like Mourinho wanting to call everyone by their proper name (barring our previous manager who he called "Maurice")

From an angle of pure interest; I can't disagree in that it would have been long welcome to see how Poch interacted with the players etc.; but an "obnoxious" omission?

- Half the fanbase would have seen depicting his 'fall' as grossly disrespectful and likely resented Jose as a result.
- Not dis-similarly, perhaps it was done out of respect for the man himself.... i.e. If we can't show the man the club fell in love with then why show much of him at all?
- Perhaps it was a parting request from Poch to Levy for his involvement to be minimised?

Poch came across as an emotional weakling who never had anything to say.

Bearing in mind it's been suggested he'd largely already exiled himself from the players and become insular, perhaps that's all that was left of him to show.....

From an angle of pure interest; I can't disagree in that it would have been long welcome to see how Poch interacted with the players etc.; but an "obnoxious" omission?

The thing is, having watched the City version of this same documentary, what's striking is that it's exactly the same. It's these little episodic just-so stories centered around the manager as the omniscient central figure.

That's fine as far as it goes, I'm enjoying watching the show.

But whereas the "Pep And Friends Story Hour" is about all of the drama you could mine out of the mind-numbing dominance of that City season, this Spurs season was one hell of a story that could have rewarded a bit more ambition.

You aren't really situating the story of 2019-20 Tottenham Hotspur in any meaningful context when Mauricio Pochettino only appears onscreen for about thirty seconds and isn't mentioned thereafter. But this is a docuseries that does lots of editions for different sports and they have a formula to follow. It is what it is.

Just finished it some thoughts:

1. Would like to see some more of Poch, but seems like it is a Mourinho documentary
2. There's nothing on Lo Celso or N'Dombele, keen to see if they have more involvement
3. It's clear to see our players are soft, hopefully the additions of Doherty, PEH and Hart are exactly what we need to move forward.

I think Mourinho comes out of it really well and given the state of the club he inherited plus the injuries we had, I'm genuinely excited for next season and what can be achieved (top 4 plus a cup).

The thing is, having watched the City version of this same documentary, what's striking is that it's exactly the same. It's these little episodic just-so stories centered around the manager as the omniscient central figure.

But whereas the "Pep And Friends Story Hour" is about all of the drama you could mine out of the mind-numbing dominance of that City season, this Spurs season was one hell of a story that could have rewarded a bit more ambition.

You aren't really situating the story of 2019-20 Tottenham Hotspur in any meaningful context when Mauricio Pochettino only appears onscreen for about thirty seconds and isn't mentioned thereafter. But this is a docuseries that does lots of editions for different sports and they have a formula to follow. It is what it is.

Good points. You basically can't make anything other than a PR piece to some extent with these programmes that are set within current or very recent seasons: everyone is compromised by the immediacy of the events so you get very safe coverage that tries to show the protagonists in as good a light as possible, whilst not sticking the knife into anyone too much.

Compare this programme to something like The Last Dance on Netflix, made 20 years or so after the events. That programme is a genuine investigation and time has provided much opportunity to think, reflect and, in some cases, distort memory. As a result the programme that results is far more interesting, even though I personally am only a very slight basketball fan.

I still don't understand the suggestion that it's "obnoxious"..... Who's being obnoxious?

From a rightfully reactive doc-maker's point of view, the story of the season soon became a) Can Jose turn it around and then b) injury crisis and c) Covid.... (Not that it's otherwise part of the thrust of my reply, but imagine how dull it would have been if Poch remained and we just ground on all season and ended up with 7th.)

(Haven't watched any others series so I can't comment.)

Enjoying the doc but it proves what we knew all along - the dressing room is full of wetwipes.

Even the seasoned pro's like Toby, Jan and Lloris seem incapable of holding people accountable.

Dele acting like a 14-year old, KWP scared of his own shadow, Winks scared of Mourinho's new training methods, Son crying all the time.

I think Mourinho was right in that it's a team of nice guys. He inherited a bunch of pussies and to be honest I don't know how easy it will be to remedy that.

I imagine that plays a role in why he seems to rate Dier so highly, we haven't seen it in the doc yet but he seems like one of the few that is willing to dig someone out.

Key storylines I'm keen to see:
- How Lo Celso's growing influence is covered
- Ndombele situation
- Dele's fall from grace
For my money the most important signing under Enic in terms of changing this in the past was Edgar Davids. He would rip into the players who weren't performing at half-time and from then on we became a lot tougher.
But I think it is a lot harder now to motivate players as they are pretty much set for life financially as soon as they join the club. Perhaps Mourinho will have a similar effect to Davids, he is obviously a master of god cop/bad cop mindgames. He reminds me of the evil karate instructor in Karate Kid. "Fear does not exist in this dojo, does it!" No Jose!

A favourable club psychologist...

Adderall
iu

Back
Top Bottom