Adama Traore

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Acceleration into limited space can be useful against teams in a low block. People act like low block = all their players standing on the goal line. Good teams can still find space, via dribbling and quick passing. Adama might help with the former, we also need players to help with the latter.
We definitely want to be able to move the ball quicker and more accurately in small spaces. Why people think Traore can help with that is anyone's guess though.

The only criteria for me is whether Conte wants him, Articles I've read say he does.

We should have faith in the manager, he's started as well as he could with our current squad.

Which articles are those and are they from reliable sources?

I haven't seen a single thing that says that Conte wants him, multiple reports that Paratici wants him and there were plenty of links to Traore in the summer before Conte got here.

There is little to no reason to think that Conte wants him at all.

We have far more urgent needs than a less than impactful impact sub
I do not classify him as a "less than impactful impact sub." Yes, we have other needs but why can't we do more than one deal at a time? Traore is on a bargain price right now because of his contract expiring, sign him now.

I said we need two starters but that doesn't mean we can't sign a player who is on a lower price and would help the squad.

It says it in plain black and white, although I accept it is prose and not a quote.

I'd like to think though that we got Conte in by allowing him to tell Paratici and Levy to "fuck off" (in Italian, I guess) if he really DOESN'T want someone.

Which articles are those and are they from reliable sources?

I haven't seen a single thing that says that Conte wants him, multiple reports that Paratici wants him and there were plenty of links to Traore in the summer before Conte got here.

There is little to no reason to think that Conte wants him at all.
reliable sources?……….is there such a thing

reliable sources?……….is there such a thing

I think there are sources that make stuff up to get clicks and others that, while they don't get everything 100% correct due to a number of factors, don't just make things up out of thin air.

Go greased lightning, your burning up that side of the pitch,
Adama Traore! Adama Traore!
Go greased lightning, your ripping through those Muppets in style,
Adama Traore! Adama Traore!
You are supreme, and we all cream, for greased lightning!
Go, go, go, go, go, go, go, go, go, go, go!

#makeourterracesfabulous

Basically, he tries to run to the touchline and dink it between the penalty spot and 6yd box. I think he was quite effective for Wolves when they had Jiminez, Doherty and Jota getting into the box and all strong in the air and active to subsequent rebounds.

His awareness and general ability with the ball is actually better when I've seen him recently, he's playing through central areas more and crossing less, probably because they only have one guy left that can head the ball (and the new coaches preference). He's set up a good few chances that haven't been scored, but his finishing is much the same as that of Bergwijn, he drives the ball as hard as he can in the general direction of the goal and hopes for it to go in. Can't imagine he'll every be good enough defensively to play rwb in a 3-4-3
Thanks, that's exactly the sort of information I was looking for. It's interesting to think about the differences in how Wolves attack the goal and how Spurs do. I'm thinking Traore wouldn't necessarily improve Kane's performance as much as he did the three you mention at Wolves because Kane creates his chances differently. But there is something to be said for breaking through a defense and Traore had the strength to do that. I agree with you about the rwb position. I think what you'd gain with him on the ball you'd lose on defense. In some ways I could see him more effective as an early substitute than as a starter but $20M, if that's the price, is a lot for first man off the bench.

Will be funny when “support the players at all costs” comes back to bite you
If and when he becomes a Spurs player I will support him at all costs.

Until then, in my opinion, we have far more urgent needs than a less than impactful impact sub.

Was there something in the wording of my original post that confused you?

Until then, in my opinion, we have far more urgent needs than a less than impactful impact sub.

If he becomes a Spurs player you will think he’s a less than impactful impact sub that shouldn’t have been signed.

Call it support if you want, but it’s not

Thanks, that's exactly the sort of information I was looking for. It's interesting to think about the differences in how Wolves attack the goal and how Spurs do. I'm thinking Traore wouldn't necessarily improve Kane's performance as much as he did the three you mention at Wolves because Kane creates his chances differently. But there is something to be said for breaking through a defense and Traore had the strength to do that. I agree with you about the rwb position. I think what you'd gain with him on the ball you'd lose on defense. In some ways I could see him more effective as an early substitute than as a starter but $20M, if that's the price, is a lot for first man off the bench.

My biggest concern with Traore is that if you watch him and his highlights often what he is good at doing is putting the ball into the box in the area Doc Doc mentioned when there is a clear lane for him and finding guys who are open in that area. The problem that he has is when that lane is not wide open and/or the player he is passing to is in another area of the box. He is very poor at adapting to that and making the right decision/adjustment to change his tactics. This is why he often is seen as wasteful because he then makes a poor decision resulting in a wild shot (he is not a good shooter), poor pass or just him running himself out of space.

The argument with Spurs, that I think To Dare Is To Do. To Dare Is To Do. makes (although I don't want to speak for him if I am wrong) is that with Spurs those lanes will be open more because defenders will be more concerned with Son and Kane than they are with the Wolves attackers and that Kane and Son will do a better job of getting into spots that Traore can find them in making the decision making process easier for him that it is with Wolves currently.

My biggest concern with Traore is that if you watch him and his highlights often what he is good at doing is putting the ball into the box in the area Doc Doc mentioned when there is a clear lane for him and finding guys who are open in that area. The problem that he has is when that lane is not wide open and/or the player he is passing to is in another area of the box. He is very poor at adapting to that and making the right decision/adjustment to change his tactics. This is why he often is seen as wasteful because he then makes a poor decision resulting in a wild shot (he is not a good shooter), poor pass or just him running himself out of space.

The argument with Spurs, that I think To Dare Is To Do. To Dare Is To Do. makes (although I don't want to speak for him if I am wrong) is that with Spurs those lanes will be open more because defenders will be more concerned with Son and Kane than they are with the Wolves attackers and that Kane and Son will do a better job of getting into spots that Traore can find them in making the decision making process easier for him that it is with Wolves currently.
Well summarised.

I would have preferred Lamptey as he has a higher ceiling, but with Adama we know we are getting a significant improvement that will help us with certain match patterns, ie if we are under the cosh and need to gain territory.
But I'm not going to pretend that Adama solves all our problems, we still need many more players in the next 2 windows.

Hes's absolute fucking garbage IMO. However if Conte genuinely wants him i'll go along with it.

But i suspect it's a case of this player is who we can get rather than who we actually should get. Conte is a pragmatist he may feel Traore is better than nothing at all. In the system he uses he'll be able to use Traore's only real quality (pace) to our benefit. Time will tell.

Exactly, other teams tactics aren’t irrelevant to Contes system.

So this:

is a stupid statement
Ok nerd, maybe read what’s been said before you start acting like a smartass. I’m going to explain it to you once then ignore you if you reply some ignorant shit again.

Someone said Traore is going to be effective because he’s going to create space with his runs. To which I replied that low blocks barely give any space since they play with 9-10 players inside their own half. You could see it against Watford how difficult it is to circulate the ball in a packed area. And considering how Traore plays, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’d run into dead ends.

So then you tell me about Conte system which has nothing to do with what I was talking about in the first place.

That is the first time I have seen that mentioned and even then is it a pretty weak link that Conte actually wants him.
It’s telling that not a single Italian source is pushing the Adama move. It’s all coming from the English side, which means it’s more of a holistic decision by the board, likely driven by Traore’s contract situation; see PEH at Southampton.

Back
Top Bottom