A dose of reality

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Honestly, we could play liverpool away again next week & people will attack anyone who says they are worried about the match.
Unless you say "an easy win for us, liverpool are shit & we are great" then you will most likely get attacked on here.
I did for saying liverpool will be harder than some seem to think it will be. I didn't even say we would lose.

Its become a strange forum where you have to pretend the team & manager have no flaws.
If you say openly they do then you get attacked.

People see our flaws, but they also acknowledge how far we've come.

You seem to be very keen to show that you are aware we arent good enough, very often.
But you also seem, like many others, keen to weigh up your critique against our target of winning a title.

For example, if someone (thats someone Scot, not specifically you before you dwell on the "where did I say that" and take the point somewhere else) thinks we are will be lucky to get top 6 now, why are they comparing us to Chelsea, City and Liverpool etc? Why are they not comparing us to Everton and WBA?
Make no sense saying we are not good enough, and we have no squad, but basing the critique on that of a team challenging for titles.
Lower your expectations....if we are barely top 6, then you should be fucking over the moon that we are 2nd.

Last edited:

You seem to be very keen to show that you are aware we arent good enough, very often.
But you also seem, like many others, keen to weigh up your critique against our target of winning a title.

For example, if someone (thats someone Scot, not specifically you before you dwell on the "where did I say that" and take the point somewhere else) thinks we are will be lucky to get top 6 now, why are they comparing us to Chelsea, City and Liverpool etc? Why are they not comparing us to Everton and WBA?
Make no sense saying we are not good enough, and we have no squad, but basing the critique on that of a team challenging for titles.
Lower you expectations....if we are barely top 6, then you should be fucking over the moon that we are 2nd.
Especially when he has, on numerous occasions, said he expects us to finish 5th-8th. How, if you expect us to be 5th-8th, can you be so critical of a side that is 2nd?

Makes no sense to me.

Especially when he has, on numerous occasions, said he expects us to finish 5th-8th. How, if you expect us to be 5th-8th, can you be so critical of a side that is 2nd?

Makes no sense to me.

Exactly......some want to talk about the flaws of a 6th place team in the same vein as a title challenger.
Surely thats is as absurd as Everton fans getting pissed off at not catching Chelsea

Lower you expectations....if we are barely top 6, then you should be fucking over the moon that we are 2nd.
You & others make up stuff to suit your narrative.
Just like people are now making up that john is so happy & celebrates when we lose.

I have said for ages lamela would be happier & better abroad.
You say that must mean I think he is depressed cause his dog died because some journalists said so in an article I didn't read (that came out over a year or maybe even 2 after I originally said lamela would be happier & better abroad).

So it is hard to argue on here about anything when people jump to conclusions & don't read previous posts to get all the context.
In fact, I just read quite a few people arguing for the same above reasons. I too have done it to others.
It is easily done!

For example, you attacked me by saying I should be more grateful for what trophies we have won.
When I was arguing by saying "I don't expect us to win trophies" to another poster who was saying "we should expect trophies".
it just shows how you have now viewed me in your head so you skew things to suit what you want.
You may as well choose what all my thoughts are & then argue the opposite.

Anyway, its sunday! so I am sure we both have better things to do than go round in circles.
you choosing what I think & so on...

Ps. I have said all along I'd be delighted with 4th or no top 4 & a cup.
& I know you didn't say I said it, but nope, I never said we would be lucky to make top 6.
6th is the worst I think we could finish.4th-6th I reckon. But no silverware as poch won't prioritise it.
Just a prediction before you make a million jumps.

Last edited:
As opposed to many people doing the opposite.
They are keen to show they are aware we are good enough to win the title.
But also seem keen to weigh up their critique against our target of top 6.

& also say utd, Woolwich, chelsea etc are shit & we are better. But if they beat us or finish above us, they then say we can't expect to compete with them.
So we are better than them but also can't compete with them!

You are keen on saying everyone is shit & no reason we shouldn't smash them.
Then we don't win & you say the same thing before the next match.
Fair enough, that's your thing.
We all have different ways.
Anyway, glad your back as you add to the forum.
Enjoy your sunday.

Last edited:
As opposed to many people doing the opposite.
They are keen to show they are aware we are good enough to win the title.
But also seem keen to weigh up their critique against our target of top 6.
No, they/we weigh up the critique to the teams around us, which just so happen to be the top 6. We can't ignore United/City just because they're 5th and 6th because they're 1/2 points behind us.

Just because we're using the top 6 teams doesn't mean that's suddenly the target. It's because it's pragmatic.

We will finish above woolwich this year. Said it & will stick to it. Also think we will finish above the Dippers & Manu. Chelsea have it in the bag barring a monumental collapse, and Citeh are looking strong now.

I'm putting yesterday out of my thoughts now, & looking forward to 3rd place (above Woolwich) & a cup final. Oh- & to stay unbeaten in our last season at the Lane.

That would be a fantastic season in my opinion.

And it's perfectly achievable with a bit of luck with these fucking injuries.

You can say that for every team in the League. Hazard and Costa were nowhere last season and Chelsea struggled. Take Ibra and De Gea out of United, they'd be nowhere. Take Sanchez and Ozil out of Woolwich, nowhere. Take De Bruyne and Silva from City, same thing. Coutinho and Mane from Liverpool, same.
Well I hate to point it out but there's one of the best strikers in the world in Aguero you're ignoring. Not to mention the mercurial talents of Yaya Toure, Sane, Sterling and Nolito who Iate as immense. Sure you may have a point but i don't think reality is quite as black and white as you make it out to be. Also Utd have amazing players in Mikhitarian (?) who is a worldie, Martial and Rashford also Herrera. Won't go into Woolwichs side but you failed to mention Kante, Pedro, Willian, Courtois also. Point being thse are all players we would jizz in our pants to have (mostly) so to disregard the position of our opponents without a player or two despite the fact there is obvious quality there is wrong.

Well I hate to point it out but there's one of the best strikers in the world in Aguero you're ignoring. Not to mention the mercurial talents of Yaya Toure, Sane, Sterling and Nolito who Iate as immense. Sure you may have a point but i don't think reality is quite as black and white as you make it out to be. Also Utd have amazing players in Mikhitarian (?) who is a worldie, Martial and Rashford also Herrera. Won't go into Woolwichs side but you failed to mention Kante, Pedro, Willian, Courtois also. Point being thse are all players we would jizz in our pants to have (mostly) so to disregard the position of our opponents without a player or two despite the fact there is obvious quality there is wrong.
Yea, I know all that, I wasn't the person to first bring it up, I was responding to another poster. But the argument was we aren't all that taking away our best 2 players. We still have great players too. I'm just saying if you do that with all the other sides around us they'd struggle.

I didn't mention all those players because we were talking about the removal of 2 players.

We will finish above woolwich this year. Said it & will stick to it. Also think we will finish above the Dippers & Manu. Chelsea have it in the bag barring a monumental collapse, and Citeh are looking strong now.

I'm putting yesterday out of my thoughts now, & looking forward to 3rd place (above Woolwich) & a cup final. Oh- & to stay unbeaten in our last season at the Lane.

That would be a fantastic season in my opinion.

And it's perfectly achievable with a bit of luck with these fucking injuries.
I think injuries will play a big role in how all the top 6 do. For all the deep analysis, luck with injuries & ref decisions have a big impact on who finishes where.

Really good thread, I love this club and have an analyogy as to why I don't flip out every time we lose one match, stick with it.....

Imagine I am a parent, and Tottenham was my son, in the 90s / early 2000s at primary school they used to struggle, get in fights, not listen to the teacher, had the occasional day of genius and had great personality but they seemed to be on road to nowhere.

Then came secondary school between 2005 and 2011, they matured as a person, started to make friends, focus and learn. They still made big mistakes at times but improved in all aspects which made me really proud.

They managed to get to university in 2011 somehow which looking at when they were a young kid seemed a miracle, then things went a little off rails but hey they were at uni at least so they were in good shape overall, so any low point is relatively way above where they could ever dream of years ago. Now they are so much more consistent in performance and get better every year ready to graduate and we are talking about a few mistakes on an exam paper rather than years of their lives being a mess as a kid.

Now if I love my son of course I want them to leave Uni top of the class but I also think fuck, I've seen so many lads go by wayside. We have done incredibly to get here and now we are competing against some kids who have spent 10x as much on their primary and secondary education so appreciate how well Tottenham is doing.

Now imagine if Tottenham is your son at this point and they badly dropped points in one exam, would you be supportive or go ballistic?

It is not good but I have an acute memory how kids Villa and Leeds who were once way above my son have turned out and think fuck, why am I worried at all? We are progressing and amongst the very best

COYS

I think injuries will play a big role in how all the top 6 do. For all the deep analysis, luck with injuries & ref decisions have a big impact on who finishes where.
And the point is we have been bloody unlucky with injuries this year. Kane out for weeks, Toby out for weeks, Verts out for weeks, Rose out for weeks & Lamela out for months.

All of these are certain starters for Poch when fit. Lamela, in particular, personifies Poch's pressing philosophy & before his injury he was shaping up to have another great season.

Really good thread, I love this club and have an analyogy as to why I don't flip out every time we lose one match, stick with it.....

Imagine I am a parent, and Tottenham was my son, in the 90s / early 2000s at primary school they used to struggle, get in fights, not listen to the teacher, had the occasional day of genius and had great personality but they seemed to be on road to nowhere.

Then came secondary school between 2005 and 2011, they matured as a person, started to make friends, focus and learn. They still made big mistakes at times but improved in all aspects which made me really proud.

They managed to get to university in 2011 somehow which looking at when they were a young kid seemed a miracle, then things went a little off rails but hey they were at uni at least so they were in good shape overall, so any low point is relatively way above where they could ever dream of years ago. Now they are so much more consistent in performance and get better every year ready to graduate and we are talking about a few mistakes on an exam paper rather than years of their lives being a mess as a kid.

Now if I love my son of course I want them to leave Uni top of the class but I also think fuck, I've seen so many lads go by wayside. We have done incredibly to get here and now we are competing against some kids who have spent 10x as much on their primary and secondary education so appreciate how well Tottenham is doing.

Now imagine if Tottenham is your son at this point and they badly dropped points in one exam, would you be supportive or go ballistic?

It is not good but I have an acute memory how kids Villa and Leeds who were once way above my son have turned out and think fuck, why am I worried at all? We are progressing and amongst the very best

COYS
Meryl-Streep-Gives-Women-Standing-Ovation.gif

And the point is we have been bloody unlucky with injuries this year. Kane out for weeks, Toby out for weeks, Verts out for weeks, Rose out for weeks & Lamela out for months.

All of these are certain starters for Poch when fit. Lamela, in particular, personifies Poch's pressing philosophy & before his injury he was shaping up to have another great season.
agreed. & obviously the team who ends up winning the title usually get a bit of luck with injuries.
Chelsea don't seem to have had many significant injuries this year & it shows.
Fingers crossed our luck changes on the injuries situation!

Yea, I know all that, I wasn't the person to first bring it up, I was responding to another poster. But the argument was we aren't all that taking away our best 2 players. We still have great players too. I'm just saying if you do that with all the other sides around us they'd struggle.

I didn't mention all those players because we were talking about the removal of 2 players.
Understandable. I just get triggered when folk start to over simplify situations and not understand the finer points. Still don't agree that all the teams around us would struggle with their best 2 players taken away but I respect your right to think it.

You & others make up stuff to suit your narrative.
Just like people are now making up that john is so happy & celebrates when we lose.

I have said for ages lamela would be happier & better abroad.
You say that must mean I think he is depressed cause his dog died because some journalists said so in an article I didn't read (that came out over a year or maybe even 2 after I originally said lamela would be happier & better abroad).

So it is hard to argue on here about anything when people jump to conclusions & don't read previous posts to get all the context.
In fact, I just read quite a few people arguing for the same above reasons. I too have done it to others.
It is easily done!

For example, you attacked me by saying I should be more grateful for what trophies we have won.
When I was arguing by saying "I don't expect us to win trophies" to another poster who was saying "we should expect trophies".
it just shows how you have now viewed me in your head so you skew things to suit what you want.
You may as well choose what all my thoughts are & then argue the opposite.

Anyway, its sunday! so I am sure we both have better things to do than go round in circles.
you choosing what I think & so on...

Ps. I have said all along I'd be delighted with 4th or no top 4 & a cup.
& I know you didn't say I said it, but nope, I never said we would be lucky to make top 6.
6th is the worst I think we could finish.4th-6th I reckon. But no silverware as poch won't prioritise it.
Just a prediction before you make a million jumps.

Christ you're predictable

Back
Top Bottom